NFL Final Doire v Án Ciarraí, 26th April 2009, Croke Park

Started by screenexile, April 12, 2009, 05:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Can't really believe we've qualified for this pretty much without having a full team in any game of the league but hey we may as well take it. A lot different from last year as Kerry are going much better and we are a lot more focussed on Monaghan but should still be an exciting game and hopefully as enjoyable as last year.

I think Cassidy has been looking for performances from our lads and a good victory over Kerry in an NFL Final would be a good stepping stone to the Monaghan game so I would hope to see pretty much our first 15 out in Parnell Park. Kerry are definitely the form team and O'Connor would seem to have them very hungry this time around to win the big one and beat all comers so I would expect nothing easy in this game!

Farrandeelin

It's hard to imagine that these are the 2 teams that Mayo have lost to in the league. Yet in Mayo you'd swear we were one of the worst teams in the land from some quarters. (No poster on this discussion board has said it though)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Katchit

Kerry in my opinion are head and shoulders above any team at the moment and I'm not expecting anything else but a Kerry win.

However as a Derry man the positive has to be that we made the final for the second year in a row, this year playing far more squad players and a much more rounded rotation policy which bodes well for the Championship. The result here isn't the end all and be all, a good solid performance is what we're after to set us up well for the Monaghan game but a League title would still be nice.

Things shaping up well for the summer, but then again I probably said the same thing last year..

INDIANA

Don't think kerry are as good as tyrone at the minute and Cork in my view could challenge either this year.

Katchit

Quote from: INDIANA on April 12, 2009, 07:05:09 PM
Don't think kerry are as good as tyrone at the minute and Cork in my view could challenge either this year.

The league campaign and head to heads would suggest differently.

INDIANA

The championship  matches this decade would suggest I'm right. I know most people consider both on a par but I think mano v mano tyrone are a little bit ahead.

Bogball XV

Anyone know where this will be played?  I think the GAA had already decided that the league final would be in croker this year, that's hardly still the case?

Katchit

Quote from: INDIANA on April 12, 2009, 07:15:39 PM
The championship  matches this decade would suggest I'm right. I know most people consider both on a par but I think mano v mano tyrone are a little bit ahead.

Considering you said 'at the minute' that sort of nulls your argument for games played earlier on this decade, unless of course you think 2004/5 is 'at the minute'..

Kerry are currently head and shoulders above every other county at the minute, granted Championship hasn't started yet but they are certainly putting out a marker early doors and are hungry to win both League and Championship this year, obviously especially the latter.

jodyb

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 12, 2009, 07:34:57 PM
Anyone know where this will be played?  I think the GAA had already decided that the league final would be in croker this year, that's hardly still the case?

Lookin at the thread title Bogball it would appear that screen has the inside track. Have you got confirmation of that venue screen?

INDIANA

Quote from: Katchit on April 12, 2009, 07:56:10 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 12, 2009, 07:15:39 PM

Considering you said 'at the minute' that sort of nulls your argument for games played earlier on this decade, unless of course you think 2004/5 is 'at the minute'..

Kerry are currently head and shoulders above every other county at the minute, granted Championship hasn't started yet but they are certainly putting out a marker early doors and are hungry to win both League and Championship this year, obviously especially the latter.

the championship head to heads are 3-0- ie when it counts. I saw Kerry against dublin last week- wasn't overly impressed by their standards.

KingLarsson

Wee buns to our big bears. Another title for the derry ladz!!

Bogball XV

Quote from: jodyb on April 12, 2009, 08:21:32 PM

Lookin at the thread title Bogball it would appear that screen has the inside track. Have you got confirmation of that venue screen?
Aye, but I reckoned maybe Screen is spoofing (or educated guessing).

jodyb

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 12, 2009, 08:37:36 PM

A screen man spoof??? The very suggestion :o :o :o :D

screenexile

Quote from: jodyb on April 12, 2009, 08:39:26 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on April 12, 2009, 08:37:36 PM

A screen man spoof??? The very suggestion :o :o :o :D

Woops... Caught out completely!!! Nah as far as I know it hasn't been fixed but if the same league final last year was comfortably held in Parnell I don't see any reason why they would change it. We always do well there too so I'd be happy enough with it.

Again someone mentioned Cork and I can't help but think they are the most over rated team in the Country at the minute. They give Kerry a game every year when Kerry are nowhere close to peaking and people think they're good. I can't remember who it was but they said Cork would beat the pick of Ulster teams yet they got a tanking from Monaghan a few weeks ago. Yes they have a few decent U21 teams coming through but you're at least 2 years off seeing that bear fruit imo.

I would suspect Kerry will go all out for this as they seem hell bent on winning everything they can this year and depending on what kind of team we have out will say a lot on the result. If Cassidy continues with the experimenting we will not win but if he goes with our best 15 I think we have a great chance. Not sure what it will be but for me I think this is the first choice 15 for Derry at the minute.

Gillis
McGuckin, McCusker, Lockhart
O'Kane, B. McGoldrick, S. L. McGoldrick
Doherty, Muldoon
Lynn, Murphy, Mullan
Bradley, Bradley, Lynch

E. Bradley and Lynch will alternate between HF and FF with Lynn and Mullan playing the workhorse WHF roles (Personally I think we have better players for the position but Cassidy has generally played these 2 throughout the league and they have fitted into the system well).

Aside from that we still have a strong bench with lads like Diver, Patsy Bradley, Collie Devlin, McCloy, Kielt all there. We have a very strong squad this year!

lynchbhoy

kerry are still the benchmark, esp with the continuity of playing together for the past number of years and the old manager back in the chair now to take up the reins again it will be without skipping a beat.
Derry need to step up and show they are not subconsciously afraid and that they can start a winning run over the likes of kerry more consistently, rather than their lack of inner belief causing them to freeze every time they play kerry.

imo and I have said it here for a couple of years, cork have the talent and potential to do big things- and win the AI, but as Derry have proven, talent alone wins feck all come championship time.