Started by screenexile, April 12, 2009, 05:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny Joe

Quote from: screenexile on April 13, 2009, 02:44:55 AM
Quote from: jodyb on April 12, 2009, 08:39:26 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on April 12, 2009, 08:37:36 PM
Quote from: jodyb on April 12, 2009, 08:21:32 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on April 12, 2009, 07:34:57 PM
Anyone know where this will be played?  I think the GAA had already decided that the league final would be in croker this year, that's hardly still the case?

Lookin at the thread title Bogball it would appear that screen has the inside track. Have you got confirmation of that venue screen?
Aye, but I reckoned maybe Screen is spoofing (or educated guessing).

A screen man spoof??? The very suggestion :o :o :o :D

Woops... Caught out completely!!! Nah as far as I know it hasn't been fixed but if the same league final last year was comfortably held in Parnell I don't see any reason why they would change it. We always do well there too so I'd be happy enough with it.

Again someone mentioned Cork and I can't help but think they are the most over rated team in the Country at the minute. They give Kerry a game every year when Kerry are nowhere close to peaking and people think they're good. I can't remember who it was but they said Cork would beat the pick of Ulster teams yet they got a tanking from Monaghan a few weeks ago. Yes they have a few decent U21 teams coming through but you're at least 2 years off seeing that bear fruit imo.

I would suspect Kerry will go all out for this as they seem hell bent on winning everything they can this year and depending on what kind of team we have out will say a lot on the result. If Cassidy continues with the experimenting we will not win but if he goes with our best 15 I think we have a great chance. Not sure what it will be but for me I think this is the first choice 15 for Derry at the minute.

Gillis
McGuckin, McCusker, Lockhart
O'Kane, B. McGoldrick, S. L. McGoldrick
Doherty, Muldoon
Lynn, Murphy, Mullan
Bradley, Bradley, Lynch

E. Bradley and Lynch will alternate between HF and FF with Lynn and Mullan playing the workhorse WHF roles (Personally I think we have better players for the position but Cassidy has generally played these 2 throughout the league and they have fitted into the system well).

Aside from that we still have a strong bench with lads like Diver, Patsy Bradley, Collie Devlin, McCloy, Kielt all there. We have a very strong squad this year!

I would say that might not be to far away from the c'ship team. BTW, who are the other players you would play in WHF positions who have the engine for that role. Mc Cusker and Doherty are only starting back training this week so I would be surprised if they started the game
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

thebuzz

Quote from: screenexile on April 13, 2009, 02:44:55 AM
Aside from that we still have a strong bench with lads like Diver, Patsy Bradley, Collie Devlin, McCloy, Kielt all there. We have a very strong squad this year!

As far as I'm aware Collie Devlin is due to have an op and will miss the rest of the season unfortunately.

marym

Think Kerry are improved since last year but also think Cork are hugely improved. Had a very weak team out against Monaghan. Had a stronger team out yesterday but still short Cussen O Neill and Miskella. Think Cussen is out for a good bit but the others not so serious. Paul Kerrigan a real find.

orangeman

Definitely looks like a very hungry Derry team full of talent - if this hunger keeps up they'll be there or thereabouts later in the year.

Zulu

QuoteAgain someone mentioned Cork and I can't help but think they are the most over rated team in the Country at the minute. They give Kerry a game every year when Kerry are nowhere close to peaking and people think they're good. I can't remember who it was but they said Cork would beat the pick of Ulster teams yet they got a tanking from Monaghan a few weeks ago. Yes they have a few decent U21 teams coming through but you're at least 2 years off seeing that bear fruit imo.

You're well off the mark there Screen IMO, Cork have the plenty of older experienced players so these U21's don't have to take all the pressure. Players like Canty, Nick Murphy, Cussen, Masters, Miskella, O'Leary, O'Neill etc. are all in their late 20's or older, Cork have had a team from 1-9 that could match the country's best over the past 4 or 5 years their problem was a lack of forwards. Now the have a bunch of real top quality ones, O'Connor, Goulding, Hayes, Masters and Gould will kick points with the very best (Colm O'Neill and Ciaran Sheehan will join these lads soon) and with the size and strength of the team in general, they'll be able to play it whatever way you want. I've been tipping cork for a few years now and IMO they'll be the team to beat over the next 5 or 6 years, they will certainly be in the country's top 3 over that period.

INDIANA

I'd agree with that I'm staggered at the lack of knowledge on this one here. Cork are closer to Kerry as they have shown in the last 12 months than most teams and by that token wouldn't be far of Tyrone either. They drew and nearly beat kerry in the all-ireland semi last year. If the forwards named above come through they are going to be more than capable of making all-ireland finals soon. The other thing as well -they are massive physically. Maybe 1/2 players below 6ft tall max.

orangeman

Cork are a massive team alright and can challenge with most of the big teams and beat them on any given day. However consistency is a problem as is their ability to win in Croke Park against their nemesis, Kerry.

marym

Was at the Cork Armagh match yesterday . You are right. Cork team are huge men even without Cussen and Pierce O Neill. Also they are very fast. O Flynn Kerrigan and Kelly could run all day at a very fast speed. They lost all ireland under 21 very narrowly in 2006, won it in 2007 and are in semi final this year. Indeed they made Tommy Walsh and David Moran look very average in Munster Championship this year. A lot the posters on the Kerry gaa website think their team are going to do well in the short term but are worried about the medium term .

orangeman

Cork beat Kerry handy in the under 21s this year - I'f I was a Kerry man I'd be getting a wee bit worried as well.
Quote from: marym on April 13, 2009, 05:19:19 PM

Was at the Cork Armagh match yesterday . You are right. Cork team are huge men even without Cussen and Pierce O Neill. Also they are very fast. O Flynn Kerrigan and Kelly could run all day at a very fast speed. They lost all ireland under 21 very narrowly in 2006, won it in 2007 and are in semi final this year. Indeed they made Tommy Walsh and David Moran look very average in Munster Championship this year. A lot the posters on the Kerry gaa website think their team are going to do well in the short term but are worried about the medium term .

Bogball XV

Quote from: INDIANA on April 13, 2009, 04:59:39 PM
I'd agree with that I'm staggered at the lack of knowledge on this one here. Cork are closer to Kerry as they have shown in the last 12 months than most teams and by that token wouldn't be far of Tyrone either. They drew and nearly beat kerry in the all-ireland semi last year. If the forwards named above come through they are going to be more than capable of making all-ireland finals soon. The other thing as well -they are massive physically. Maybe 1/2 players below 6ft tall max.
they are starting to become a contending team, but they've talked up for the past few years, and whilst they've beaten Kerry in Munster they normally collapse against them in croker.  Even in last year's semi's, they took hammerings for most of the games.  This year it could be different, but as a Derry man, I'd be relatively confident playing them in a championship game, I wouldn't see them beating Tyrone (if they recover last year's form) either.

tyssam5

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 13, 2009, 06:07:28 PM
they are starting to become a contending team, but they've talked up for the past few years, and whilst they've beaten Kerry in Munster they normally collapse against them in croker.  Even in last year's semi's, they took hammerings for most of the games.  This year it could be different, but as a Derry man, I'd be relatively confident playing them in a championship game, I wouldn't see them beating Tyrone (if they recover last year's form) either.

I don't think Tyrone would have beaten Cork if they'd got to the final last year. I was actually glad it was Kerry.

magickingdom

your spot on about cork but you cant be serious in your earlier post about judging kerry on the dublin game. the intensity of league and championship games are a million miles apart and the league for better or worse amounts to no more than a series of challenge games

Bogball XV

Quote from: tyssam5 on April 13, 2009, 08:49:01 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on April 13, 2009, 06:07:28 PM

I don't think Tyrone would have beaten Cork if they'd got to the final last year. I was actually glad it was Kerry.

I'm baffled

INDIANA

Quote from: magickingdom on April 13, 2009, 08:58:41 PM

your spot on about cork but you cant be serious in your earlier post about judging kerry on the dublin game. the intensity of league and championship games are a million miles apart and the league for better or worse amounts to no more than a series of challenge games

I think the fullback line will cost you the all-ireland again magic. Still not a FB in sight.

southderryman

game confirmed for croke park on april 26th

double header with monaghan v cork

surprised about the choice of venue, but happy as it'll give our lads a bit of expericence of the venue, some haven't played there before.