Thuggery at end of Tyrone Club Final

Started by agorm, October 26, 2008, 07:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: amigo on October 29, 2008, 01:47:07 PM
I hear McGinn got 72 week suspension!

1.Where did you hear this?
2. Who else got suspended and for how long?
3.  Can't think of a third question....
In your Endo!

amigo

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on October 29, 2008, 01:56:07 PM
Quote from: amigo on October 29, 2008, 01:47:07 PM
I hear McGinn got 72 week suspension!

1.Where did you hear this?
2. Who else got suspended and for how long?
3.  Can't think of a third question....

I heard it on the grapevine.
Also heard Peter Ward got 8 weeks.
Not sure what suspensions Clonoe received.

wherefromreferee?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7697719.stm

Dromore manager Noel McGinn has been handed a 72-week ban arising from his headbutt on a Clonoe substitute in Sunday's Tyrone County Football Final.

Clonoe player Emmett Teague has been given a 32-week ban for his retaliatory headbutt on the Dromore boss.

As a result, Teague is ruled out of the Ulster Club SFC while his team-mate Colin Doris has got an eight-week ban.

Clonoe assistant Harry McClure has got an 12-week ban while Dromore Peter Ward was handed an eight-week suspension.

In addition, both clubs were handed £500 fines - the maximum fines available to the Tyrone Competitions Control Committee.

BBC Sport learned details of the bans and fines after a Tyrone County Board statement had not specified the penalties.

"Following the meeting a number of individual suspensions have been recommended and have be issued to both of the clubs involved via email this morning," said the Tyrone Board statement.

"Both clubs have also been fined. All suspensions and fines may be subject to appeal."

Clonoe defeated holders Dromore after extra-time in Sunday's decider at Healy Park.

After the game, Dromore boss McGinn apologised for the incident at the end of normal time, when he was involved in a clash with a Clonoe player as the teams left the field.

"I was very disappointed with myself," said the former Tyrone player, who guided Dromore to their first-ever SFC title last season.

"I know exactly what I did, and I am going to have to take full responsibility for that, but in no way should the club suffer.

"It was a silly thing, and somebody of my experience should have known better, and I want to apologise to the Clonoe club."

TV footage clearly showed the headbutting incidents and the Tyrone board had their own match video in addition to the broadcast coverage.
In your Endo!

Armagh4SamAgain

What Mcginn done was bad and he had get a big ban. but 72 years is 2 much.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

full back

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on October 29, 2008, 02:56:23 PM
What Mcginn done was bad and he had get a big ban. but 72 years is 2 much.

:D
Think it might be 72 weeks
Good to see you back & fighting fit again

Zapatista

Quote from: Take Your Points on October 29, 2008, 04:44:16 PM
72 weeks is a ridiculous sentence given that the other headbutter got 32 weeks.  He did not retaliate because he was hit, he decided to take retribution into his own hands.  There is no measure available in the rulebook for position, i.e. player, captain or manager.  Has anyone ever heard of someone getting more than 8 or 12 weeks for a headbutt?  This appears to be a hairy-chested reaction by the County Board to the embarassment of the incident on TV. Justice does not seem to be an element of the decision.

72 weeks will keep McGinn out untill the end of the UlsterChampioship (just incase) in 2009 while the 32 weeks is just enough to have Teague back for Clonoes defence of the Tyrone championship. 

Over the Bar

QuoteHmmm, is that 72 weeks with the intention that he serves 72 weeks, or 72 weeks with the knowledge that he's likely to appeal and get it reduced to 48 weeks, which is all they really wanted to give him in the first place?

I doubt very much he will appeal it and bring futher focus onto himself. 

Quote72 weeks is a ridiculous sentence given that the other headbutter got 32 weeks.

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting more than 8 or 12 weeks for a headbutt?

Can't agree.  McGinn is a mature adult and manger and should know better, therefore the penalty must not only fit the crime but also the postion of the offender.  Similarly if Nicky Brennan headbutted Mary McAleese the he'd get more than 72 weeks!

billy the kid

Quote from: Over the Bar on October 29, 2008, 04:51:25 PM
QuoteHmmm, is that 72 weeks with the intention that he serves 72 weeks, or 72 weeks with the knowledge that he's likely to appeal and get it reduced to 48 weeks, which is all they really wanted to give him in the first place?

I doubt very much he will appeal it and bring futher focus onto himself.  

Quote72 weeks is a ridiculous sentence given that the other headbutter got 32 weeks.

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting more than 8 or 12 weeks for a headbutt?

Can't agree.  McGinn is a mature adult and manger and should know better, therefore the penalty must not onlt fit the crime but also the postiion of the offender.  Similliarly if Nicky Brennan headbutted Mary McAleese the he'd get more than 72 weeks!

:D :D :D :D

f**king class actually laughed out loud when i read that bit
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: Zapatista on October 29, 2008, 04:48:45 PM
72 weeks is a ridiculous sentence given that the other headbutter got 32 weeks.  He did not retaliate because he was hit, he decided to take retribution into his own hands.  There is no measure available in the rulebook for position, i.e. player, captain or manager.  Has anyone ever heard of someone getting more than 8 or 12 weeks for a headbutt?  This appears to be a hairy-chested reaction by the County Board to the embarassment of the incident on TV. Justice does not seem to be an element of the decision.

72 weeks will keep McGinn out untill the end of the UlsterChampioship (just incase) in 2009 while the 32 weeks is just enough to have Teague back for Clonoes defence of the Tyrone championship. 

Away to feck. One is a player the other an club official. Mc Ginn was also brought to book for 'Bringing the game into disrepute' as weell as headbutting

Armamike

Proper order. The time fits the crime in this case. You can't have managers running about the place dishing out glasgow kisses. There is no excuse whatsoever for McGinn's reaction.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Zapatista

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on October 29, 2008, 06:04:40 PM

Away to feck. One is a player the other an club official. Mc Ginn was also brought to book for 'Bringing the game into disrepute' as weell as headbutting

For the record I don't disagree with it. Who pushed your attack buttons anyway?

ardmhachaabu

Those people saying 'oh it was only a headbutt' and the like, really need to take a good long hard look at themselves.  That sort of behaviour you expect from drunken arseholes on street corners.

It has no place in our games.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Pangurban

A fair result all round, markers have been put down, now what we need is consistency in our approach to any simialar breaches in future

agorm

I would hope that you are not implying that he should get no more than 8/12 weeks  maybe you are not.

I dont think people in general would have had a major problem with a 1 year ban. But you cannot really criticise the Co. Board for sending a out a strong and swift signal and they are to be commended for that.

Over the Bar

QuoteNo one would have a problem with the Tyrone CCC justice for those involved last Sunday if they had applied the same standard throughout the last season.

So are you saying that you do have a problem with the punishments then?