McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

:o :o I'm scared.

heffo

orangeman

So what's happening Reillers ?

We agree on one thing and the debate / arguments / slagging comes to an end ???

What's the word down with you at the minute ?

Any behind the scenes attempts at reconciliation going on ??

Reillers

How can I argue with you when there's nothing left to argue about. ;) ;) We've been through everything backwards forwards and upside down.

It's all quiet really on the front.

The young lads are training like crazy, in the gym twice a week and they're starting the hurling after Christmas, I've been talking to one or two of the Sars lads, they thought they were very fit-they were very very wrong. No more partying for them. No more Thursday nights out.

The poor lads, it's pretty much they get out of bed each morning and they feel like they're dying. Every muscle in their body is aching and they're just realising how much work is involved, and that's before the hurling even comes into it. They're not sure of what to make of Gerald at the minute.

Some of the young lads seem to think that the young senior players will comes back, and that if they do, about 5 of them probably will be kept on, this is THEIR oppinion now, and that there are a LOT of lads who should be ahead of them, which is common knowledge that this is pretty much the c team with the exception of about 5 of them. None of these players really would come in within a clear mile of the team.

They were just saying that now they realise all the work the senior lads have put in, all the work everyone puts in and that they're on the bottom level of the fitness scales and they've to do a lot of work just to get halfway there.

Oh and they're delighted they get free membership to any gyms they want..I hope they remember who got that for them.

the green man

Youns are still at it! Maybe time to leave it now. No-one's going to win anyhow

bredaghexile

well said the green man
this whole debate is dead in the water now

Reillers

Did ye not read the above two posts. That's what we were just saying.

Reillers

Rebels back in training
Militant hurlers hold unofficial workouts in show of unity

By Cliona Foley

Saturday November 29 2008

CORK'S rebellious hurlers are returning to group training this weekend and have set up a programme of unofficial team workouts, completely separately from their County Board and management.

In their continued refusal to play for him, county manager Gerald McCarthy fielded a new-look 'development team' for a challenge match last weekend and said he will produce a Cork team for the National League from their ranks.

Despite the bitter exchanges of recent weeks, McCarthy still left the door open for any of his breakaway players to join his new panel.

But their decision to resume training together is another firm indicator that they are not for turning and want to demonstrate both their unity and resolve to one day return as a team.

They are expected to seek some training advice from Seanie McGrath, the fitness coach who previously helped them to win two All-Irelands.

But it remains to be seen who their trainer will be; where their sessions will take place, and whether new insurance arrangements will be in place.

Most inter-county players are already doing their own individual conditioning programmes at this time of year and, ironically, Cork's rebel players could not actually hold group sessions now if they were part of the official county panel.

That is because of the new rule, designed to lessen burn-out, which bans all managers from assembling their players before Christmas.

But as a group of what are ostensibly 'free agents' the Cork stars can, paradoxically, ignore that rule and mobilise themselves for their own independent group training.

This latest move is clearly intended to send out a strong message that they remain unified and loyal to the county, and have not given up hope of returning to the Cork jersey.

- Cliona Foley

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on November 29, 2008, 01:09:26 PM

Rebels back in training
Militant hurlers hold unofficial workouts in show of unity

By Cliona Foley

Saturday November 29 2008

CORK'S rebellious hurlers are returning to group training this weekend and have set up a programme of unofficial team workouts, completely separately from their County Board and management.

In their continued refusal to play for him, county manager Gerald McCarthy fielded a new-look 'development team' for a challenge match last weekend and said he will produce a Cork team for the National League from their ranks.

Despite the bitter exchanges of recent weeks, McCarthy still left the door open for any of his breakaway players to join his new panel.

But their decision to resume training together is another firm indicator that they are not for turning and want to demonstrate both their unity and resolve to one day return as a team.

They are expected to seek some training advice from Seanie McGrath, the fitness coach who previously helped them to win two All-Irelands.

But it remains to be seen who their trainer will be; where their sessions will take place, and whether new insurance arrangements will be in place.

Most inter-county players are already doing their own individual conditioning programmes at this time of year and, ironically, Cork's rebel players could not actually hold group sessions now if they were part of the official county panel.

That is because of the new rule, designed to lessen burn-out, which bans all managers from assembling their players before Christmas.

But as a group of what are ostensibly 'free agents' the Cork stars can, paradoxically, ignore that rule and mobilise themselves for their own independent group training.

This latest move is clearly intended to send out a strong message that they remain unified and loyal to the county, and have not given up hope of returning to the Cork jersey.
- Cliona Foley

What do you make of this story ?

Probably a nothing story - sure they can train as many times as they want. No body can stop them - how do you read it Reillers ? More hype by the media ??

Reillers

To be honest I don't know what to make of it. Maybe the whole thing was just Frank's elaborate way of avoiding the training ban. I honest to God wouldn't put it past him.

I honestly think that the players can't win this won. I think they are right in what they are saying, but the board have been very smart in this, and the players surprisingly haven't been, the board, bar a miracle have won.
The bravest thing that the players can do right now is to come out and say that anyone who wants to play should do so including any of the 2008 panel.
Cause this isn't going to end at all. And I can't think of watching Naughton in the stand next season, or Pat Horgan, it'd be a crime.

There's really only one thing we can do, unless there's some heavy, heavy defeats this season, which unfortunately I see on the cards, and we test the theory of the board wanting control over success to the limit, unless the board budge, fire McCarthy, which they should have done in the first place and bring in the players and manager. I would like to think that Murphy would be big enough to do this, but I know he's not. But sadly I honestly think he's that hell bent on revenge, that petty.
But unless that happens the only thing we can do is sit and wait till Frank Murphy resigns and then Cork hurling, Cork GAA can get back on track.
....Frank Murphy's 65 I think, surely, hopefully not long now..feck it, he'll probably outlive us all.

orangeman

Are there any behind the scenes attempts at mediation gonig on or has it gine past that stage given the level of mistrust on both sides ?

orangeman

Did you see the back page of the Irish Independent this morning ?

Donal Og and Sean Og leading a training session in Mallow yesterday.

Unfortunately the media are not being helpful in trying to resolve the issue - it's not the players faults that their picture ends up on the back page, but I don't see it as being helpful in any way.

witnof

Whatever about their greviances the Cork hurlers have gone completely the wrong way about resolving this and hence has lost support.

Is the training session a provocative move or an attempt to say we want to get back to hurling? Who knows.

And its not the media's fault that they got in and took photo's, who told them of the session in the first place?

And remember they have nothing else to write about at the moment so keeping this story going is in their interest, and the Cork players should recognise this.

orangeman

To be honest I just see it as a signal from the players that they're still around, still want to play hurling and with the right circumstances will return to the fold.

An olive branch or a two fingered salute ??? An olive branch.

The GAA

An chance that a crowd of mates gathered up for a puck around and there's nothing more to it?