2008 Ulster Minor Club Championship

Started by topgun, October 21, 2008, 12:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Another thing - this is youth football we're talking about - how bloody sad is that !

Radioulster

Quote from: orangeman on December 11, 2008, 05:50:29 PM
Another thing - this is youth football we're talking about - how bloody sad is that !
Fair point orangeman

SidelineKick

Quote from: orangeman on December 11, 2008, 05:50:29 PM

I totally agree.  That sort of integrates my point about how we treat underage players, it should be about taking part, although I do know, I have been there, losing finals, winning finals and you always always want to win, but it gets a bit sad when it takes appeals to progress.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

orangeman

I suppose that's what I've been trying to get across all along. It's youth football but I do beleive it's going the wrong way if the Gaels take this to appeal. We'll all lose something if this appeal bears fruit.

Football, particularly youth football should be all about taking part and enjoying the competition.

The reason why I'll be so saddened if the appeal is upheld is that the Ballinderry lads won the game and can you imagine how gutterd they will when they are told they have "technically" lost the game. The big lad Bell will feel it's his fault.

They're only lads.

armaghniac

QuoteWe'll all lose something if this appeal bears fruit.

How can we all lose something if a team is required to keep to the rules. The GAA introduced this rule for a reason, if Ballinderry would like to change it they can put a motion before Congress, not play an illegal player and hope that nobody notices. The rule is based on calender years so if a person is born after a particular year he is ineligible, easy enough to understand.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GerryFromDerry

Quote from: Radioulster on December 11, 2008, 05:05:08 PM
Orangeman parallel
Is it a ridiculous appeal by the Gaels=yes
Was Bderry's a ridiculous appeal=yesDid either incident reflect well on their club=no

Ballinderry club did not appeal the decision. It was a personal appeal by Paul Devlin.  Need to get your facts right before making your posts.
Up the Shamrocks!

Radioulster

Quote from: GerryFromDerry on December 11, 2008, 09:38:51 PM
Quote from: Radioulster on December 11, 2008, 05:05:08 PM
Orangeman parallel
Is it a ridiculous appeal by the Gaels=yes
Was Bderry's a ridiculous appeal=yesDid either incident reflect well on their club=no

Ballinderry club did not appeal the decision. It was a personal appeal by Paul Devlin.  Need to get your facts right before making your posts.
Apologies but hard to have your facts right on everything, do you think that he should have made an appeal on what he did?

Muzz

Orangeman - are you now just talking to hear yourself?  Give it up!!!

orangeman

mylestheslasher

So in summary, pretty much there is no point in having rules in place to protect players as the clubs themselves know best. I suppose Ardboe should play a few small seniors against B'Derry in the next round. As long as they are smaller than Bell then there should be no problem (since the size of a player outweighs the age). I expect B'Derry would not appeal either.

Joking aside, I don't want the Gaels to profit from this. I think their motives for appeal are petty but I do believe that B'Derry broke an important rule and should be punished.

anglocelt39

It wouldn't be huge love for the Gaels that has certain Cavan posters on this thread. We know why the rule is in place-in Cavan alone we can think of any number of lads that were pushed at it too early and were crocked/finished/disinterested by the time they were 20. If the rule is in place, is clear cut and Ballinderry breached it surely there is some form of sanction. A final point, I don't know if the Gaels/Ardboe etc. have 14 year olds in their ranks who would be playing minor but for this rule which seems sensible.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

orangeman

Ardboe has no under 14s on the team - a few under 16s ok.

Uladh

Is the ulster minor tournament an official gaa tournament?

Bitta-Banter

I dont mind what happens Ballinderry,but I do not want Cavan Gaels to benefit from this.This is scummy and they are not playing within the spirit of the games.They will not make life easy for their young players who will constantly be reminded of this if they do go on.To object to an U-14 playin against to after you were beat is desperate stuff.

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on December 12, 2008, 12:21:33 PM

Is the ulster minor tournament an official gaa tournament?

Apparently so.