2008 Ulster Minor Club Championship

Started by topgun, October 21, 2008, 12:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GerryFromDerry

As stated in an earlier post, our club sought clarification on this and were told he was ok to play. With regards to burn out, the u-16 and u-14 c'ships have been finished since the end of August. This is now December, therefore he hasnt played competitive football in 3 months.  I think our club knows best how to treat our youth players.
Up the Shamrocks!

SidelineKick

Quote from: GerryFromDerry on December 11, 2008, 04:33:06 PM
As stated in an earlier post, our club sought clarification on this and were told he was ok to play. With regards to burn out, the u-16 and u-14 c'ships have been finished since the end of August. This is now December, therefore he hasnt played competitive football in 3 months.  I think our club knows best how to treat our youth players.

What is the situation at the minute Gerry with the appeal?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

loughshore lad

This is degenerating into a complete farce.  Ballinderry did what ANY other club would have - they played an extremely talented young lad in an attempt to win the game.  Going by the shamrock posters on here and in conjunction with what I have heard first hand from a member of the Ballinderry club they did indeed seek clarification if young Bell could play.
I hope this objection is kicked out and Ballinderry progress to the next round to face our lads as it could be a great encounter.  Ballinderry are the benchmark in our neck of the woods, they have the titles to prove it at all levels and it would be great for our lads to test themselves in this environment.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 11, 2008, 04:31:16 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on December 11, 2008, 04:27:11 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 11, 2008, 02:45:13 PM
C4ever - not true. Clubs can amalgamate. The team gets stronger and then the players in that age bracket get games. Cavan Gaels beat an amalgamated team in this years county final.

Our club joined with a town team at Minor this year and just about got a team and under 16's still had to play. 

So by that logic if ye had not amalgamated you would have had to play more U16s and maybe a few U14's to make up the numbers? Surely you are making the case for amalgamations there! I am not for amalgamations as standard but I think it should be used when a club cannot field a team at a level with players from the level. For me it is preferable than dipping into the age groups below to make the team.

Not all clubs want to amalgamate. Our lads did not want to join with the other team and some of them did not play.  What is wrong with an U-16 playing minor anyway a year later if their good enough they could be playing against 30 year old men.

GerryFromDerry

Quote from: SidelineKick on December 11, 2008, 04:39:22 PM

I think it is being heard on Tuesday night so it will be a waiting game until then.

We will just have to put all our focus on the big game on Sunday now, although i think our reserves play Glen in the Reserve Final on Saturday. Busy times.....
Up the Shamrocks!

Radioulster

This is a very tricky issue for all concerned. Hard not to feel sorry for the lad but I feel your club are overusing him Doire abu. If he plays on he will play FIVE years in minor football. It is like being allowed to go out when you are 16, you're sick of it at 18. Could it be the same for this lad. Ask yourself honestly has he been given the jersey or has he earned it? you know the answer. What will your club do with the next big thing? If you carry on this path with this player you will defenitly have a case of burnout. Experts like Max lol would talk about it being to do with dual clubs. Burnout is a mental thing not a physical thing and can lead to reduced enjoyment and poor motivation levels and stress of a level that a 14 year old is not ready for. The bottom line is that they won an U16 championship and there were bound to be boys in line to come on in front of him. It would have only taken one. This is a petty argument by Cavan Gaels and one that sums up the enjoyment going out of the game but the fact that you were prepared to parachute a lad of 14 in says enough about your clubs attitude. Have you considered how petty BDerry looked with trying to get their selector off so he was involved against you've guessed it Cavan Gaels. If you live by the committee room unfortuanately you can die by the committee room

amigo

Quote from: Radioulster on December 11, 2008, 04:49:26 PM
This is a very tricky issue for all concerned. Hard not to feel sorry for the lad but I feel your club are overusing him Doire abu. If he plays on he will play FIVE years in minor football. It is like being allowed to go out when you are 16, you're sick of it at 18. Could it be the same for this lad. Ask yourself honestly has he been given the jersey or has he earned it? you know the answer. What will your club do with the next big thing? If you carry on this path with this player you will defenitly have a case of burnout. Experts like Max lol would talk about it being to do with dual clubs. Burnout is a mental thing not a physical thing and can lead to reduced enjoyment and poor motivation levels and stress of a level that a 14 year old is not ready for. The bottom line is that they won an U16 championship and there were bound to be boys in line to come on in front of him. It would have only taken one. This is a petty argument by Cavan Gaels and one that sums up the enjoyment going out of the game but the fact that you were prepared to parachute a lad of 14 in says enough about your clubs attitude. Have you considered how petty BDerry looked with trying to get their selector off so he was involved against you've guessed it Cavan Gaels. If you live by the committee room unfortuanately you can die by the committee room

What a load of shite !!!!

SidelineKick

Quote from: GerryFromDerry on December 11, 2008, 04:48:16 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on December 11, 2008, 04:39:22 PM

I think it is being heard on Tuesday night so it will be a waiting game until then.

We will just have to put all our focus on the big game on Sunday now, although i think our reserves play Glen in the Reserve Final on Saturday. Busy times.....

Hold on and I'll get the violins out for ye Gerry  :D

Big year for the shamrocks alright!  Can't see Glen putting up much of a challenge.

I hope common sense prevails with regards to the minors.  If they sought advice and were given the go ahead before the game who autorised this?  What is the issue then if they got permission to play him?  Is that the same Bell that played in the Rannafast final???

Reported.

SidelineKick

I played 4 years in minors and it never sickened me, I'm sure that 5th eyar would hardly be the straw that broke the camels back!

Reported.

orangeman

Lads are hard to sicken - they play every night - especially the Ballinderry lads -

The parrallel drawn between lodging this objection and the Paul Devlin incident isn't a good one.

Radioulster

Orangeman parallel
Is it a ridiculous appeal by the Gaels=yes
Was Bderry's a ridiculous appeal=yes
Did either incident reflect well on their club=no

EC Unique

If the lad is big enough to keep other 17/18 year olds on the bench then let him at it. Ballinderry have a sign above the door of their clubrooms that shows they have very little to learn about sucess at club level. I would love the same sign at our club ;)

SidelineKick

Quote from: EC Unique on December 11, 2008, 05:24:34 PM
If the lad is big enough to keep other 17/18 year olds on the bench then let him at it. Ballinderry have a sign above the door of their clubrooms that shows they have very little to learn about sucess at club level. I would love the same sign at our club ;)

They also have a gold star on their jersey in case anybody ever forgets  ;)

Reported.

orangeman

Quote from: Radioulster on December 11, 2008, 05:05:08 PM
Orangeman parallel
Is it a ridiculous appeal by the Gaels=yes
Was Bderry's a ridiculous appeal=yes
Did either incident reflect well on their club=no

Was Paul Devlin going to help the team if he was on the line or in the dugout or in the stand ?

It's not as if Ballinderry had lost to Cavan Gaels and then made an appeal based on some technicality.

Win the game on the field or else take your beating and go home and try again another day.

But to appeal the result of a minor game, the first objection in this competition in a whopping 28 years does nothing for the reputation of the Cavan Gaels club or its committee.

And as I've said before, Cavan Gaels are no strangers to this competition. They've won Cavan minor championship, the last 10 times out of 11.

SidelineKick

Quote from: orangeman on December 11, 2008, 05:28:10 PM

Win the game on the field or else take your beating and go home and try again another day.

Paul Devlin's on field actions were punished.  he found a loophole off the field and exploited that.  He should have accepted the decision that was made.

Think I've stated enough times that I still feel Cavan Gaels are being very petty and at least agree with you on that OM.

Reported.