The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Funny you mention the ruck, I think Munster are very poor at the breakdown and haven't adapted to the new law variations at all. Munster would hammer you at the breakdown through numbers but these days you have to stay on your feet and if the opposition can get a man over the ball, narrow the gate using a full body ball presentation (dotting the i) it's very hard for the opposition to compete. The best way to slow the ball down is for the tackler to get his feet ignore the ball and just make a nuisance of himself, this is really about work-rate and attitude and I think in this regards the Munster forwards are just too lazy and slow, they really lack dynamic forwards, Wallace is a pale shadow of himself, and having watched him first hand in the Autumn Internationals I was shocked at how his work-rate had declined. Munster up front need an injection of youthful enthusiasm, you cite Fisher as an issue but surely the decline in Munster forward play is just due to old age - Hayes, Quinlan, Wallace, MOD all aged at the same time, POC also missed a year's rugby, they haven't been replaced and there is a distinct lack of competition in the Munster Squad. Munster have not planned for the future and Kidney has to take some of that blame (their representation at under-age level is awful over the last few years) but they are addressing those issues they just need to find a model that suits them.

Munster need to start trusting and putting faith in young players such as Archer, Williams, Zebo and Nagle etc Those guys if they were playing any other province would have had a lot more game time and would be genuine contenders for a HEC start. McGahan is the head coach, he has the players in my opinion to play a high tempo expansive game he needs to marry the Munster aggression and commitment (refuse to say passion  ;)) , throw in the young bucks and keep the faith when mistakes are made which will happen.  Munster needs to evolve to move forward and Ireland needs a strong Munster.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hoof Hearted

Dates, times and venues confirmed

Leinster get the prime Sat evening slot.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12332_6703198,00.html
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hoof Hearted

not Heineken Cup, but one of it's former greats are playing great stuff at the minute in Brive in the Challenge Cup

EDIT: not anymore

Final score Brive 37- 42 Munster - Great game, play Harlequins @ Thomond in the semi's, O'gara kept taking the 3 pointers om offer when it looked like the game was over. Proved right in the end as Brive came back well

Stade Francais v Clermont Auvergne in the other semi, great line up, it's like another H Cup

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Capt Pat

Another inevutable win for Leinster. Not a great game but on to the semis in Croke Park?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 09, 2011, 08:17:41 PM
Another inevutable win for Leinster. Not a great game but on to the semis in Croke Park?

when will that game be on capt pat ? how tough would it be to get tickets
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Captain Scarlet

I see the semi's are down for the Sat/ Sun of the May Bank Holiday Weekend. When would Leinster be playing?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on April 09, 2011, 08:34:19 PM
I see the semi's are down for the Sat/ Sun of the May Bank Holiday Weekend. When would Leinster be playing?

wont be decided until Monday. If it's Toulouse it will probably be the prime time game at 6.00 Sat evening. No Royal wedding now for BOD  :P

Capt Pat

Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 09, 2011, 08:23:28 PM

That will depend on whether the game is on in the Aviva or Croke Park. It will be Croke Park if Ulster wins as they do not want 2 rugby games in the Aviva too close to the uefa cup final.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 09, 2011, 10:59:34 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 09, 2011, 08:23:28 PM

That will depend on whether the game is on in the Aviva or Croke Park. It will be Croke Park if Ulster wins as they do not want 2 rugby games in the Aviva too close to the uefa cup final.

dont know lad, it;s a 2/12 week gap to the Europa League final. I think it could be OK. Cant see Ulster winning tomorrow anyway, although obviously i hope im wrong. Heading to the final in 6 weeks time so an AI final would be brilliant !

ludermor

Ulster putting it up to Northampton, after losing an early simple try they are leading 13 7 coming to half time

Edit - late pen to northamptopn 13 10 to ulster at half time.

ludermor

20 13 to northampton. Ulster after missing a sitter .