The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

This is an A to B conversation so C your way out of it Boots....

So you don't like Sexton for a couple moments of immature petulance yet gloat over Leamys antics on Sunday. That moment was awful leadership from the Munster Captain and he deserved a yellow card as well as Contepomi.

If I took your logic John Hayes must have no class either for did deliberate and dangerous stamp on Cian Healy which he was red carded for or Quinlan for that matter (eye gouge on Cullen). The Leinster players had a hang up over Munster and put a lot of pressure on themselves to perform  so those games in isolation take on a life of their own so I tend not to judge players too harshly on their antics in those games else I'd have no one to support on the Irish team.

O'Gara however I think is different, he has never liked competiton for his place and I think when he talks to the media he always comes across as bitter and not likeable. He has served Ireland well and I hope he continues his mentoring of Sexton whose game control is still not at O'Gara's level.
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 20, 2011, 02:41:08 PM
What do you want us to do? Behave like some of the kids on the Liverpool and Utd threads?

Those clowns are just puerile and infantile - this, ahem, handbags is another kettle of fish altogether.  As I say, I'm laughing at it, but can't really say why.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 20, 2011, 03:02:23 PM
This is an A to B conversation so C your way out of it Boots....

So you don't like Sexton for a couple moments of immature petulance yet gloat over Leamys antics on Sunday. That moment was awful leadership from the Munster Captain and he deserved a yellow card as well as Contepomi.

Disagree, it was the first and only time anyone decided to stand up in a very insipid display. It was not wise, but at least it demonstrated some sort of thickness. No Munster lad rushed in until Contempomi did, so I was happy to see him getting a thump for sticking his nose in there.

If I took your logic John Hayes must have no class either for did deliberate and dangerous stamp on Cian Healy which he was red carded for or Quinlan for that matter (eye gouge on Cullen).

Apples and oranges there. Hayes has demonstrated over many years that he is not an habitual sinner. But in that moment he was as bad or worse than sexton, and he apologised for it. Quinny was indefensible against Cullen, and has been many times, but I said the same thing at the time. Sexton has been on the scene two minutes, and in his brief career he has been involved in two incidents that stick in my craw, so apologies if I don't think he's a candidate for sainthood.

The Leinster players had a hang up over Munster and put a lot of pressure on themselves to perform  so those games in isolation take on a life of their own so I tend not to judge players too harshly on their antics in those games else I'd have no one to support on the Irish team.

In general I agree, but most of them it's a belt or a row. Taunting publicly like that leaves a sour taste. If it was just the kick to Mafi, I'd probably just think it was one of those things. The kick and the taunting leaves me thinking he's a bit of knobeen.

O'Gara however I think is different, he has never liked competiton for his place and I think when he talks to the media he always comes across as bitter and not likeable. He has served Ireland well and I hope he continues his mentoring of Sexton whose game control is still not at O'Gara's level.

O'Gara doesn't do himself any favours when he's interviewed, I'll grant you that, but I think he has more than made up for that in his career in the way he has served his province and his country. He's not the best out half ever, but he is a perfectly serviceable one, and I find the Leinster (particularly) sour grapes against him to be quite annoying. I had thought you were more inclined to be open minded, but some of your comments 'speed bump' remind me of the over excitable Munster fans who call Brian O'Driscoll a lady boy. (Funnily enough they don't do that much any more).

Anyway, we'll hardly fall out over it, but I think the O'Gara bashing has gotten old.

Dinny Breen

I can't understand how you can defend Leamy's actions, he didn't go in to break it up and be the better man he went in to have a pop at Contepomi, no self control and very very poor leadership.

Sexton is no Saint but apart from those two isolated incidents when else has he behaved inappropiate shall we say. O'Gara wouldn't even shake Mike Philips hand after the recent Ospreys game, I don't know the chap from adam but based on his on-field antics and persona he's just not likeable and comes across as an asshole.

QuoteAnyway, we'll hardly fall out over it, but I think the O'Gara bashing has gotten old.

Never!

I only stick it to O'Gara when I see Leinster bashing or someone trying to claim that OGara should be the Irish 10, the speed bump comment is a just comment that highlights is defensive flaws in a terse way.

Anyhow better move on from this or someone will ask why does an Offaly man support Munster  ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 20, 2011, 04:16:30 PM
I can't understand how you can defend Leamy's actions, he didn't go in to break it up and be the better man he went in to have a pop at Contepomi, no self control and very very poor leadership.

Maybe it's the Offaly in me, but when I see a teammate fighting with another lad, I'll let them off. If I see a third fella running in and jumping on my teammate, then I'm going straight over. That's what Leamy did, so it would be hypocritical of me to castigate him, I'd have done the same.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 20, 2011, 04:16:30 PM
O'Gara wouldn't even shake Mike Philips hand after the recent Ospreys game, I don't know the chap from adam but based on his on-field antics and persona he's just not likeable and comes across as an asshole.

I thought he was very gracious as a winner when he was consoling Stephen Jones after the Grand Slam. But maybe it's a kickers' union thing. I suspect O'Gara could cure AIDS and you'd blame him for taking this long :D

Maybe he's a bad loser, but that's not the worst thing in the world, and he's hardly unique in that. I just find that the bitter comments about O'Gara are OTT and very similar to the equally unnecessary comments about O'Driscoll that many Munster fans made. I'd have thought you could recognise the incongrous nature of an Irish Rugby fan taking unseemly delight in highlighting the flaws of one of the most important players of this past generation.

lynchbhoy

you two would be better off watching some decent rugby as in the zurich premiership rather than the never-quite-made-its and never-will-be's!
;)

AZOffaly

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 20, 2011, 04:37:49 PM
you two would be better off watching some decent rugby as in the zurich premiership rather than the never-quite-made-its and never-will-be's!
;)

I'd prefer to watch Leinster than Leicester :D

Dinny Breen

QuoteMaybe he's a bad loser, but that's not the worst thing in the world, and he's hardly unique in that. I just find that the bitter comments about O'Gara are OTT and very similar to the equally unnecessary comments about O'Driscoll that many Munster fans made. I'd have thought you could recognise the incongrous nature of an Irish Rugby fan taking unseemly delight in highlighting the flaws of one of the most important players of this past generation.

I think you need to contextualise here, the thread title is The Heineken Cup we're talking about Munster and Leinster and a very strong rivalary for such a young professional sport and their respective 10s. For me it's all about the Irish team, even though I would support Leinster and am involved at certain levels I am not what you call a fanatic, I have only gone to one game this year (The Munster game  :D) so it's country first so when O'Gara puts on the green I am behind him 100%, he might be a c*nt but he's our c*nt. You don't need me to list his qualities it's just that Musnter fans eulogise their players I just like to point out their flaws.

Lynchbhoy, the rugby you like is called shock and awe, use your beasts to hammer the fringe for about 6 phases and then go wide. Has it's merits but very old school and these days very easy to defend against probably explains why the a AP side hasn't won the HC in a while...
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

well you know I like 'controlled' rugby, but the invention and swahbuckling style of play in the ZPL is light years ahead of the magners league and how the likes of munster play.
remember these are not  'clubs' these are combined clubs that are actually provinces !
th eonly thing stopping the England rugby side from winning 6N is their idiot of a manager.
France also mstly play power pack rugby but can use their superb backs - so its not all mammoths and behemoths pushing each other for the rudimentary requisite amount of phases before playing it wide !
you do the ZPL sides a huge dis-service !
Anyhow I enjoy it more.
Looks like 'we' are stuck in second place again this year and wont get into the ZPL !

Dinny Breen

Leinster did the double over Saracens, Ulster the double over Bath. The Magners league is a much better standard of rugby because teams aren't handicapped by the spectrum of relegation. The Aviva Premiership as it's called has about 2 teams that I like to watch, Northampton and Quinns.

I thought Richmond were your team.
#newbridgeornowhere

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 20, 2011, 05:32:44 PM

th eonly thing stopping the England rugby side from winning 6N is their idiot of a manager.

You'll see that rectified this year, 6 nations and most probably a grand aka
In the Aviva
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 20, 2011, 06:24:26 PM
Leinster did the double over Saracens, Ulster the double over Bath. The Magners league is a much better standard of rugby because teams aren't handicapped by the spectrum of relegation. The Aviva Premiership as it's called has about 2 teams that I like to watch, Northampton and Quinns.

I thought Richmond were your team.
nope I played for the mighty Blues !
Personal pref is watching the real rugby - pack and expansive play - wheras its kick for position in this country - mostly munster though Leinster have spasms where they try to do this but thankfully Sexton isnt a natural exponent of this and Leinster might call time on trying to turn him into one.
this kicking game just gives the ball away to the opposition unless they have a crap lineout. Not too many are as bad as they were, so its a poor tactic and horrible to watch.

Dunno M4S - England have the players but Johnson is the roy keane of rugby management.Great player but inexperienced manager and naive tactically.

Hoof Hearted

Ulster have secured their try bonus, victory as good in the bag, it's all eyes on the Biarritz match, they have 3 tries with 20+ left. 1 more try will be the difference between ulster getting 1st or second

EDIT
Bonus point scored for Biarritz, Ulster cant top the group now
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

No worries I'd think.

If Ulster were told at the start that they would make it through to the knockout stages then they would have been happy with that. They will certainly give any team a game away from home. Could be a All Ireland quarter final
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea