The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on May 25, 2009, 01:19:43 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2009, 10:43:39 AM
Quote from: dublinfella on May 25, 2009, 10:30:18 AM
Quote from: cavan4ever on May 25, 2009, 09:22:53 AM

I dont think that there is anything wrong with that, it would have been nice it they supported Leinster but they are entitled to cheer for whoever they want.

Its a long way to go at great expense to be sore, infantile losers.

Agree with that, and disappointed if there were a lot of Munster fans at that craic. To be honest I'd say at least 8/10 fans that I know were shouting for Leinster on Saturday. Also the camera shots seemed to show Munster fans celebrating Leinster scores and all.

To be honest, wearing the Munster jersey I would see as a good touch, if they supported Leinster. It would show that Munster fans were behind Leinster. Of course chanting Munster is a bit daft, but maybe there was drink involved?

Any Munster fan that cheered for Leicester is badly wrong in my opinion. Any Munster fan that wore their Munster jersey, and cheered for Leinster is spot on.

Pathetic really but thats the mentality down there. I don't have a huge gra for Leinster rugby but I was delighted munster were stuffed this year just to shut up some of their fans.

I'm glad you said some of their fans, because I have to say most fans, by far, were hoping Leinster would win, and are glad they did. Of course they'll want to beat them next year, but that's natural.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2009, 01:37:43 PM

I dont think that there is anything wrong with that, it would have been nice it they supported Leinster but they are entitled to cheer for whoever they want.

Agree with that, and disappointed if there were a lot of Munster fans at that craic. To be honest I'd say at least 8/10 fans that I know were shouting for Leinster on Saturday. Also the camera shots seemed to show Munster fans celebrating Leinster scores and all.

To be honest, wearing the Munster jersey I would see as a good touch, if they supported Leinster. It would show that Munster fans were behind Leinster. Of course chanting Munster is a bit daft, but maybe there was drink involved?

Any Munster fan that cheered for Leicester is badly wrong in my opinion. Any Munster fan that wore their Munster jersey, and cheered for Leinster is spot on.

Pathetic really but thats the mentality down there. I don't have a huge gra for Leinster rugby but I was delighted munster were stuffed this year just to shut up some of their fans.

I'm glad you said some of their fans, because I have to say most fans, by far, were hoping Leinster would win, and are glad they did. Of course they'll want to beat them next year, but that's natural.

Cork is in Munster.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 25, 2009, 01:54:25 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2009, 01:37:43 PM

Cork is in Munster.

Good point.

Donnellys Hollow

Well done Leinster!

Great to see young lads like Johnny Sexton and Cian Healy playing such a central role in the success. It bodes well for Irish rugby to see some new talent coming through. These two lads along with the likes of Earls, Ryan, Toner, O'Brien, Pollock and Cave are going to form the spine of the national side for the next decade.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Gnevin

Was some weekend . Still can't believe it .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

muppet

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 25, 2009, 01:17:24 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 25, 2009, 11:50:31 AM
I'm still in Edinburgh! Hoof Hearted made wisely made a run for it yesterday.

after the saturday i spent with you guys, it was more like a casual stroll i assure you !!
great day, both socially and at the match. I think everyone should post on here how great a weekend it was, just to make Dinny even more depressed coming up to his wedding  ;)

PS muppet, have you left you the pubic triangle yet. The credit card must be taking some bashing at this stage !!

It has. I'll post it back to you today, but don't let the missus see it.
MWWSI 2017

Capt Pat

What a great weekend that was, winning the match getting to meet up with old school pals as well. The match itself was kind of unremarkable but that was not a proplem. Good to see guys like Healy and Sexton coming up good on such a big occasion. Healy is only 21 and has won a heineken cup playing at prop forward. The guy is a stud and a bit of a beast in the flesh. Was anyone else on the last train back from Edinburgh to glasgow on saturday night, that was an epic as well. They were having trouble giving away tickets outside the ground on saturday.

saffron sam2

Twas dry on Saturday morning so I hopped on a flight to Edinburgh. Met ONeill in Edinburgh airport on his way home. Strange, I thought, that he wouldn't stay for the game.

Anyhow, great weekend, Edinburgh's a great city. Atmosphere at the match (the first time I have ever been at a game of rugby football) was excellent and certainly in much better humour than any other sporting crowd I have been in. However those who watched the game on television seem to think that it was a great spectacle - I thought it was enjoyable. IMO, rugby is a game better watched on tv than in the flesh. Leinster fully deserved their win. I thought BOD was obviously struggling with injury, he spent a fair bit of the second half on the wing. Elsom looks like some boy and I thought Luke Fitzgerald had a great game. Didn't see any instances whatsoever of Munster supporters behaving badly or supporting Leicester.

It was a great weekend - you'd have loved it Dinny.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Hoof Hearted

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/12_12775.php

with this seasons final still fresh in the memory, watch the draw for the 2009/2010 tournament live here at 12.00 tomorrow Tue 9th June
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hoof Hearted

Wasnt sure where to put this, but i see Munster have signalled their intent by signing SA centre Jean De Villiers. Good signing. Is either Tipoki or Mafi moving on ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

muppet

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 20, 2009, 09:22:23 PM
Wasnt sure where to put this, but i see Munster have signalled their intent by signing SA centre Jean De Villiers. Good signing. Is either Tipoki or Mafi moving on ?

Tipoki has gone, I think he may have retired.
MWWSI 2017

Donnellys Hollow

Tipoki has gone back to NZ citing his ongoing hamstring troubles as the reason for his departure.

Not too sure about De Villiers to be honest. He's failed to reproduce his form of '05 & '06 in the past while. I suspect he might have more of a Christian Cullen like impact than a Dougie Howlett or Trevor Halstead like impact.

I'd like to see Keith Earls getting more game time in the centre this year because I think that's eventually going to be his best position in the long term. Looks like he'll be kept on the wing though with Mafi and De Villiers in the midfield and Warwick at full-back.

Dinny Breen

De Villiers will be a good signing for Munster but he's no Rocky Elsom. With BOD creeping closer to retirement (3 years max) I too would like to see Earls nail down the centre spot, Howlett, Warick, De Villiers and Mafi are all good enough to be certain starters for Munster, 2 too many Non-Irish Qualified backs for my liking.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Wasn't there talk a while ago that the IRB were getting rid of the rule that you couldn't play for another nation if you'd represented represented your home nation at 7s or u21 level? Paul Warwick would be eligible for Irish selection if this rule was changed. Considering the lack of options at 10 he'd be a useful addition to the squad.

I hope Felix Jones gets a decent run out during the new season. He looked a great talent during the Churchill Cup.

Dinny Breen

Played and coached against Felix Jones, amazing talent and if given the opportunity he'll shine just unfortunate that he had Kearney and Nacewa ahead at of him at Leinster but definitely  the right move.

No those rules were never changed hence Warwick and Mafi just aren't eligible.
#newbridgeornowhere