The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 07, 2009, 05:59:29 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on May 07, 2009, 05:36:59 PM
They will hardly be worrying about the cost of fares all the rusiness lawyers and doctors that will be going.

They will be doing well to get 30,000 lawyers and doctors going to Edinburgh.
At least all the cargo will get unloaded and the rubbish will be collected in Munster, since 30,000 dockers and binmen won't be heading.
It wouldn't be great weekend to have a heart attack and require surgery in the South Dublin area though.

Bogball XV

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 07, 2009, 05:59:29 PM
They will hardly be worrying about the cost of fares all the rusiness lawyers and doctors that will be going.

They will be doing well to get 30,000 lawyers and doctors going to Edinburgh.
The lawyers might have heard there's going to be jobs picking spuds :D :D

Tankie

+1 IT Professional   ;D
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hound

Quote from: bcarrier on May 07, 2009, 11:17:15 AM
Well done to Leinster - hungrier side won.

The Welsh want Ryan Jones and the English Croft instead of Quinlan ...he has no chance of making the Lions IMO.
It isnt a gouging but that won make any difference. His hand shouldn't have been there.

Bad news for Ferris as well IMO. He had the test place wrapped up. Quinlan was no competition, but the replacement will be.

Roger

Quote from: Hound on May 08, 2009, 08:23:05 AM
Quote from: bcarrier on May 07, 2009, 11:17:15 AM
Well done to Leinster - hungrier side won.

The Welsh want Ryan Jones and the English Croft instead of Quinlan ...he has no chance of making the Lions IMO.
It isnt a gouging but that won make any difference. His hand shouldn't have been there.

Bad news for Ferris as well IMO. He had the test place wrapped up. Quinlan was no competition, but the replacement will be.
Good point. Croft would certainly have been ahead of Ferris imo. Competition is no bad thing on a tour so it's actually better for the Lions although Quinlan seemed to be considered a better 'tourist'.

umgolaarmagh

Anyone on the board heading to Edinburgh for the match!!!

Flights and hotel booked a few months back and looking forward to a mad weekend

Tankie

Quote from: umgolaarmagh on May 09, 2009, 02:29:53 PM
Anyone on the board heading to Edinburgh for the match!!!

Flights and hotel booked a few months back and looking forward to a mad weekend

i'm heading over for the weekend, its gonna be savage!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hoof Hearted

i'm heading over myself, and i mean myself ! So if any of you guys dont mind someone tagging long like a gooseberry, PM me and i might meet up with yous
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Capt Pat

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 06, 2009, 06:08:32 PM
i see they're betting 4/9 that quinlan misses the lions - whilst he was wrong, i think it's very harsh on him - maybe good for the lions chances all the same, as Croft is expected to be called in.

Who the f**k is Tom Croft? You would swear he was tomb raiders(Lara Crofts) brother and kind of super human or something the way people are going on about him. You don't get a gig with the Lions that easily. He is not an automatic first choice on what is a below average England team. Why would he be going on a lions tour ahead of someone like Ryan Jones or why would some people be so desperate to replace Alan Quinlan with him? Answers on a post card please.

Hoof Hearted

He is actually starring for Leicester at the minute at second row !So his vesatility may go in his favour.

Hound

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 10, 2009, 11:57:06 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on May 06, 2009, 06:08:32 PM
i see they're betting 4/9 that quinlan misses the lions - whilst he was wrong, i think it's very harsh on him - maybe good for the lions chances all the same, as Croft is expected to be called in.

Who the f**k is Tom Croft? You would swear he was tomb raiders(Lara Crofts) brother and kind of super human or something the way people are going on about him. You don't get a gig with the Lions that easily. He is not an automatic first choice on what is a below average England team. Why would he be going on a lions tour ahead of someone like Ryan Jones or why would some people be so desperate to replace Alan Quinlan with him? Answers on a post card please.
The real question is how the hell did Martin Johnson not select him for the first few games of England's 6 Nations campaign. Maybe he wasn't full fit, but now that he's in the team, he'll be in for a long time. There is a question mark over his best position as he played 6 for England but is playing at lock for Leicester.

Speaking of Leicester I watched some of their victory over Bath in the English semis. They've a very good front 5. Ben Kay was man of the match, and they've an Argie prop who looks the absolute business. Pretty good back row too, Lewis Moody only on the bench, though he touched down within seconds of coming on so may be pushing for a start for one or both of the upcoming finals.

One benefit of not playing Cardiff in the final, is Leicester do not have a goal kicker of the calibre of Ben Blair. Their French scrum half is the kicker and he has good and bad days. Though he's keeping Harry Ellis out of the team at the moment, who is not bad replacement to have if things are tight going into the last quarter. Vesty is Flood's replacement at 10, and like Leinster they seem satisfied that the young 2nd choice is well up for the job. The rest of the backline is good, some very good finishers, but hopefully not as good as Leinster, especially in defence.

Very good performance by Leinster on Friday night v the Scarlets. Horgan had his best game of the season, and Big Mal was very good too. Lineout a little bit hit-and-miss, scrum was excellent. A few unforced knock-ons, one by Healy led to a Llanelli try, but generally the back play was good. Turned down 2 penalties in the first half from well inside the 22, but out wide. Cullen called for scrums both times, and both times it ended with Luke touching down in the corner. Will we be so brave in the final!!??

Sexton missed his first kick at goal, a pretty simple one from in front of the posts. But nailed both 1st half conversions from the sideline. In general play he could hardly have played any better. Controlled the game and won the MotM award (though personally I'd have given it to Horgan).  

Hoof Hearted

Anyone interested in a ticket for the final ?
I had two tickets bought in May last year, the monday after the Final, but my colleuge has had to go back to America for work so i have a spare ticket in a good seat in Murrayfield.
PM me if your interested.

Gnevin

Harlequins face ERC hearing to explain Evans' substitution

Sunday May 10 2009

Harlequins are likely have to appear before an ERC disciplinary hearing to explain their actions in the endgame of their Heineken Cup quarter-final against Leinster last month.

ERC are expected this week to confirm a date for the hearing on Harlequins' alleged misconduct. The hearing is expected to be in Dublin in the next fortnight.

The move follows an initial investigation by ERC's disciplinary officer following controversy surrounding the late substitution of Harlequins player Tom Williams -- himself a replacement -- supposedly for a blood injury. Taking Williams off on a blood replacement allowed Harlequins to bring back drop-goal expert Nick Evans.

As Williams was being led off the field, there was a theatrical spout of what might have been blood from his mouth, followed by a wink to Evans who was coming on. The episode infuriated Leinster officials who complained bitterly at the time, but to no avail.

The substitution could not have been made had Evans not been marked on the official sheet as having been taken off for tactical reasons, as injured players are not allowed to come back on the field. When Evans himself had been taken off, he was clearly suffering from a knee injury.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/harlequins-face-erc-hearing--to-explain-evans-substitution-1734510.html
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Well lads the big game is only a few days away, I know for most posters on this board they are more worried about a British soccer team playing on Wednesday week but this Saturday is the big one for Irish sports fans. I'm struggling to get any work done this week with the excitment.

Are many heading over? I know myself, Hoof Hearted and Gnevin are heading over. it should be a cracking weekend...
Grand Slam Saturday!

Capt Pat

Leicester will be favourites which might suit Leinster. They will miss Felipe Conteponi badly, I don't think our half backs are good enough. Having said that Leicester are missin their out half as well. Even though Leicester are to favourites I have a sneaky feeling Leinster will pull this off on saturday.