The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Delighted for the Leinster lads. It's a priivilege to see O'Driscoll play and we should be grateful for all that he has given the game. Munster were very poor and got beaten at every aspect of the game. Had a good few of the bandwagonners around me on the Hill  - Thank God they left early though. Hope they go on and win it now

ONeill

Jaysus I hate rugby.

Most nations that excel at it were or are colonial slaves to the British at some point in history. They forced the game on them and us and we embraced it with open arms. Shame.

Looking forward to the final though. Leinster/Leicester will be great craic for women to understand.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gnevin

Quote from: ONeill on May 03, 2009, 11:53:24 PM
Jaysus I hate rugby.

Most nations that excel at it were or are colonial slaves to the British at some point in history. They forced the game on them and us and we embraced it with open arms. Shame.

Looking forward to the final though. Leinster/Leicester will be great craic for women to understand.
What the f**k are you talking about .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ONeill

You wouldn't want to know, being a little Englander.

Hoof Hearted

i thought the same Gnevin, but if you go through his posts, this man talks some shite
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ONeill

Jaysus lads, don't take it personally. Be confident in who you are.

All nations who have won the World Cup in rugby have been British colonies. Add to that Tonga, Western Samoa, Fiji etc and you get the picture. The compete for the William Webb Ellis Cup, the son of a British Army officer. It's a reminder in most countries that play it of the British hand print on their history.

At least soccer is a worldwide game originating in China.

stephenite

Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2009, 07:37:22 AM
It's a reminder in most countries that play it of the British hand print on their history.

It's not though - I've quite a few Fijians and Samoans here in the office. For them it's a game that they enjoy - end of. 

ONeill

Mmm, that's not the point at all. I wouldn't expect a Samoan today to know why they play rugby, the same as an Irishman. The majority of people ar unaware of their history unfortunately. Even New Zealanders acknowledge that rugby was a way of anglicising the natives. It introduced the British way of life to the unrulies and was more effective than any military strategy.

Hound

I don't think I've ever been so proud of a team I was supporting. Gave it absolutely everything.

Cheika got the team selection absolutely right, we targetted Munster's weaker areas and was delighted to see Jackman taking a quick pen from our own 22 early on - we were going to be brave.

Hard to pick out individuals when every man did his stuff. Healip and Elsom so much better than their opposite numbers, Cullen showing again how ridiculous his omission from Irish squads is, Contepomi had really laid down a marker with his physicality and boy Sexton did so well when he came on and Nacewa was absolute class - but all over the field it was Leinster's day (lineout was always going to be a weaker area but we always competed and never gave anything away easily).

Still, I have to say, Munster being Munster, even though 3 scores ahead for a long time I didnt think the game was over until about 5 minutes left!

But job only half done. The lack of big celebrations at the end was positive, very tough task ahead.

stephenite

Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2009, 08:36:58 AM
Mmm, that's not the point at all. I wouldn't expect a Samoan today to know why they play rugby, the same as an Irishman. The majority of people ar unaware of their history unfortunately. Even New Zealanders acknowledge that rugby was a way of anglicising the natives. It introduced the British way of life to the unrulies and was more effective than any military strategy.

Right, so your point is that all rugby playing nations are former British colonies?

stephenite

BTW - I'm sure the Maoiris would dispute your assertion that rugby was more effective than the murder of many of them and destruction of their culture. If you're going to introduce history go and read some before waffling

ONeill

Quote from: stephenite on May 04, 2009, 09:19:56 AM

Right, so your point is that all rugby playing nations are former British colonies?

Nope.

ONeill

Quote from: stephenite on May 04, 2009, 09:21:49 AM

BTW - I'm sure the Maoiris would dispute your assertion that rugby was more effective than the murder of many of them and destruction of their culture. If you're going to introduce history go and read some before waffling

It was the rugby. There's no doubt about that.

Try not to be touchy. It's a bank holiday (an English/Cricket tradition)  and we're all typing in English anyway.

Gnevin

Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2009, 07:37:22 AM

At least soccer is a worldwide game originating in China.

Sure it is . ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

Quote from: stephenite on May 04, 2009, 09:19:56 AM

Reading a post from a WUM is something you should avoid. Responding to it is just silly!