The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: orangeman on May 02, 2009, 08:09:36 PM
What the hell happened here ?? I was out at a match - watched the first few minutes and Munster were all over them like a rash.

Most matches that are nill all after a few minutes are not considered to be a foregone conclusion. Leinsters defence and slowing down of Munster possession was the key as well as tactical kicking in the first half. They went in at half time leading 11 points to 6 or 3? and got a try straight away after the restart to stretch the lead to 18- 6. From there there was only going to be one winner.

To those of you who questioned why Tomas O'Leary got picked ahead of Stringer I think you got your answer today. Stringers passing is better but it is predictable what he is going to do and you do not have to worry too much about him making breaks, his kicking is well short of O'Learys standard as well. Defensively Stringer really gets stuck in but O'Learys defence is a lot stronger.

What is the story with the injuries suffered by Conteponi and Fitzgerald and any other Leinster players, How is Kearney recovering from the mumps. After getting to the final these guys better not be missing.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 02, 2009, 08:38:15 PM
The closer the game came, the more I felt Leinster could turn over Munster.
They had all of psychological advantages.
I can imagine the stuff about "Ladyboys" helped rile them up to prove a point.

The highlighting of Lunsters stuff reared its head for the first time, but it showed the sort of mindset that developing in Leinster.
An us against the world type vibe.

I think Cardiff will win it out though.

I in fact hope they are playing Cardiff and not Leicester in the final. If Leinster play defensively as well today and slow down the oppositions possession like they did today I think they will beat Cardiff. Hopefully the uinjured lads will be back in action for the final. Time for me to change myslef back into a Leinster fan after todays match.

Overthebar!

munster were brutal, fair play to leinster-hope they go on and win it

good to see them keeping a lid on things and not celebrating like they had won the thing!

orangeman

That was a quare auld gouge yer man had at the Leinster captain.

Overthebar!

Quote from: orangeman on May 02, 2009, 09:42:11 PM
That was a quare auld gouge yer man had at the Leinster captain.

aye wonder will he will cited for that, seen they were chatting at the end.cullen seemed to take it in good spirit considering, maybe would have done him a favour taking the eyes out of his head  :D

comethekingdom

Just home from Pub.
have to say Leinster were superb. No arguments.  Our boys never got going. Munster badly beaten up physicallly. This wont do the Lions squad any good unless Leinster go and win the H cup.

Roger

Great game of rugby.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cullen, Heaslip, and Elsom were simply immense and D'Arcy and O'Driscoll were outstanding.  Fitzgerald was pretty good to say the least and loved his intelligent rugby with the foot over the deadball before picking it up. Not a big thing but it's wee bits like that that show a man in the heat of things using his head and understanding the laws properly and using them to his advantage.  Loved the way this guy Sexton stepped into the breach, can only be good for Irish rugby in a problem position.

Btw where did all the flags in the stands come from, were they giving them away or are flags normal in Leinster/Munster now. Very colourful and looked a great day out. Apparently the attendance was a record for a northern hemisphere club game.

Downside was again the exposure at #10 the Lions are going to have when O'Gara is actually put under pressure. Also, I'm worried about this 'gouging' allegatoin on Quinlan.  If cited he could be out of the Lions tour  :(

GalwayBayBoy

I'd say Quinlan is in big trouble. I don't think it was deliberate but it was certainly reckless. I've seen large bans given out for less. Would be surprised if he makes the Lions tour now to be honest. I believe Cheika has already tried to gloss over it but the match citing commissioner might have other ideas.

Roger

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 03, 2009, 02:01:31 AM
I'd say Quinlan is in big trouble. I don't think it was deliberate but it was certainly reckless. I've seen large bans given out for less. Would be surprised if he makes the Lions tour now to be honest. I believe Cheika has already tried to gloss over it but the match citing commissioner might have other ideas.
Agree.  He'll be lucky to get away with that.  It will be a terrible pity for him to miss the tour.

stephenite

I think it was deliberate - and I think he's in trouble.

I've haven't seen too much of Keith Earls this year, mainly due to the time difference, and I'm loathe to judge a young man on one game but if he can't lassoo Gordon D'Arcy to prevent a try he's going to get eaten alive in South Africa. Is that harsh or is his defence genuinely suspect?

Anyway, well done to Leinster, they were superb today. Given the Kearney was out and they lost Felipe and Fitzgerald during the game they never stood back and allowed Munster to come at them. I think Munster are a fantastic team and have a huge respect for them, but all their crowing about D4 Ladyboys from some sections of their support is downright disrespectful to some of the players that these same yahoos were cheering in Cardiff a few months ago.

Forgot to add -  Rocky Elson, WOW, simply awesome and easy to see why the ARU are pulling out all the stops to get him back

stephenite

Here is Quinlan incident again - I'd be shocked if he makes the Lions now, and to be honest, good enough for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYbZQQ3q0Q

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: stephenite on May 03, 2009, 02:38:43 AM

I think it was deliberate - and I think he's in trouble.

I've haven't seen too much of Keith Earls this year, mainly due to the time difference, and I'm loathe to judge a young man on one game but if he can't lassoo Gordon D'Arcy to prevent a try he's going to get eaten alive in South Africa. Is that harsh or is his defence genuinely suspect?

Earls has been very impressive this season with ball in hand but his defence is still very suspect. Munster usually dominate possession to such a degree that it's not an issue but he really needs to work on it. No doubt he'll improve but I can't help thinking that his Lions call up was slightly premature.

Capt Pat

I think Quinlan will be ok with that, a short suspension maybe. When people talk about eye gouging and long suspensions I think they mean the really nasty jobs you sometimes see photos of, what Quinlan did was a hand in the face and a bit of a squeeze. I do not think he will miss the Lions for that. it was fairly minor and mybe they will just gloss over it. Some other people on the BBC website are looking for him to be suspended, I think they just want rid of him to bring Ryan Jones or Tom Croft.

With regarde Earls, he has been a very effective attacker for Munster this year. He had munsters only effective attack today and he is a bit young and maybe defensively naive.

Horrible headline on the front of the sindo. "It was the day the ladyboys decided to be men" I don' think that is a term of affection for a rugby team.

stephenite

As far as I'm aware gouging is seen as gouging and there is a minimum ban of 6 weeks handed down for it - severity doesn't come into it, you either gouge or you don't. I think this is an IIRC directive?

muppet

Quote from: stephenite on May 03, 2009, 02:50:13 AM
Here is Quinlan incident again - I'd be shocked if he makes the Lions now, and to be honest, good enough for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYbZQQ3q0Q

Quinlan is a fuggin disgrace and should see a long ban for that.
MWWSI 2017