The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Starts tomorrow.

Prior to the Munster game really thought this could be Leinster's year but after the Connacht debacle, not a chance.

Really can't see beyond Munster and begrudgedly (as is my Irish right) I am really admiring their direction, awesome defence with 15 man rugby in attack, if they sustain this they will be unbeatable. And Keith Earls, wow!!!! This kid is going to be a super-star, reminds me of an Irish Christian Cullen.

Stade Francais would be outside tip, relative easy group and are electric in France at the moment. Can't wait.

Heineken Cup Round 1 - Friday Teams

POOL 1
Munster: K Earls; D Howlett, R Tipoki, L Mafi, I Dowling; R O'Gara, P Stringer; M Horan, J Flannery, J Hayes, D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell (capt), A Quinlan, D Wallace, J Melck.
Replacements: D Fogarty, F Pucciariello, D Ryan, J O'Sullivan, M Prendergast, P Warwick, B Murphy
#newbridgeornowhere

Our Nail Loney

Fancy Stade Francais to win it outright and hae done this accum to win their pools: Stade Francais, Toulouse, Wasps and Gloucester

gawa316

Whats the background to this fella Earls dinny?

Never heard his name even mentioned

GaillimhIarthair

For a team with ambitions of winning a Heineken Cup, Leinster were absolutely brutal last Sunday evening in the Sportsground.  I actually thought we would be doing well to get within 20 points based on our recent performances but I could not believe how rudderless that Leinster team looked.  Sexton was poor at OH and to be honest, Keatley looked the much more accomplished player.  Contempomi only seemed to be going through the motions, much to Luke Fitzgeralds detriminent, and Leo Cullen's only meaningful contribution was to nail Keatley with an elbow after Mike McCarthy's try.  Need to step it up a couple of gears for their bogey side this weekend or it could all go pear shaped very quickly........................

AZOffaly

He's from good Limerick/Tipperary stock, his Dad called Ger Earls, played for Young Munster and Munster back in the day. He's just breaking onto the team, but has been sensational in his first few games. Very dangerous on the counter, and runs a great line. He's very fond of the chip and chase, though, which might burn him at some stage. I still have a bit of doubt about him under the high ball, but he does look like the real deal.

That's a strong Munster team, roll on tomorrow!!

ludermor

Is Denis Hurley injured or out of favour? WOuld Earls be ahead of himin any case?
He seems a fair size for a young back.

AZOffaly

Hurley has suffered a savage loss of confidence since his poor HEC final. He can't catch a cold at this stage. But Keith Earls is a far better prospect in any case.

Dinny Breen

Earls has been a prodigy for a numbers of years but as is the Munster way he was blooded in the AIL first for a couple of seasons.  The new law ammedments suit him to a tee.

Lots of promising Irish backs coming through. Also watch for a kid called Felix Jones from Leinster, very close to breaking into the Leinster set-up. Although the most promising kid in Leinster is a forward from Tullow in Carlow, Sean O'Brien.

I think Leinster will win in Edinburgh but Sexton is suffering a little from 2nd season itis. Will do well to get out of the group though.
#newbridgeornowhere

ExiledGael

Tankie

If Clermont Auvergne get through the group stages I find it hard to see them stopped!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hoof Hearted

the main ones-
if you receive the ball in your own 22 from a player outside the 22, you cant kick directly into touch anymore

you can throw a quick lineout to a team-mate who is standing behing behind you, doesnt have to straight anymore

at scrum time, the defence has to be 5 metres behind the back foot of the last man in the scrum.

there are a few offences which you previously got penalties before, you only get a free kick now. not sure what these offences are.

you can collapse a maul without conceding a penalty.

you can put as many men in a line out as you want. before, if the opposition had only 3 in a lineout, thats all you could have too.

clear as mud ???
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

magickingdom

anyone know if theres munster tickets available for tomorrow night? munster are worth a few bob tomorrow as they will go all out to start with a win in the revamped thomond

rosnarun

Quoteat scrum time,
???
would that not be a big ask after rucktime so soon after kick off time.

go on the Ospreys a team who play to the spirit of the game but munster will probably win by boring the f**k out of every one again. though if the ref ref the ELVs correctly and make teams play rugby thatll be the end of that band wagon
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tankie

Quote from: rosnarun on October 09, 2008, 10:21:06 PM
Quoteat scrum time,
???
would that not be a big ask after rucktime so soon after kick off time.

go on the Ospreys a team who play to the spirit of the game but munster will probably win by boring the f**k out of every one again. though if the ref ref the ELVs correctly and make teams play rugby thatll be the end of that band wagon

no at scrum time is correct
Grand Slam Saturday!

Kerry Mike

Quoteanyone know if theres munster tickets available for tomorrow night?

Yes there should be plenty around , the corporates have given back loads and weather will be shite, am going myself thankfully will be a good evening's craic.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football