The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dillinger

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 20, 2012, 04:34:15 PM
Where is this Connaught place some of you speak of? There is a province called Connacht.
Think it's a London Hotel.

thewobbler

Would the sectarian point scorers please f**k off to another thread? There's plenty to choose from.

J OGorman

Quote from: trileacman on May 20, 2012, 12:34:00 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 20, 2012, 12:11:07 PM
Going on the past I can see why some Nationalists in Ulster have supported Leinster as Ulster were heavily associated with Unionism at the beginning of the Proffessional era and were cack for a long time. For that reason I don't mind if someone has supported Leinster and have stayed with them.

I don't understand the mentality of people who have little or no interest in Rugby wanting to see Ulster getting beat. It's your province and all that Unionist crap has basically disappeared from the game so why do you feel the need to blast a team trying to be the best in Europe. The sectarianism that exists around the Ulster Rugby team is ridiculous!!

Exactly, I support Munster because around the time I started following rugby they were going through some dark days in semi's and H cup finals and I liked the history and tradition of the club. Connaught and Ulster were shit and to me Leinster seemed like a load of pampered D4 pricks who were talented but didn't have the balls to step up and win. In the end Ulster was an easy choice (especially because they started winning stuff shortly after).  ;)

As you said why do you have to publicly blast Ulster just because they're mostly prods? If some orange man came on here and blasted Tyrone, Armagh or Derry and said that he is supporting Kerry or Dublin because the local team is full of taigs there'd be a holy war on here. Who was that Unionist who went to support Loughgiel in the club final? He had the right attitude and even if you do have reservations about supporting Ulster then keep them to yourself. The Ulster branch of the IRFU have done a decent job of trying to include Catholics and lose the trappings so the only major fault you could find with them is that they have alot of prods about the place.

You support Munster in the same way Irish folk support Man Utd or Liverpool, because they are, of they were successful. And those 'dark days' of heineken cup semi's and finals!   

trileacman

Quote from: J OGorman on May 20, 2012, 07:37:53 PM
Going on the past I can see why some Nationalists in Ulster have supported Leinster as Ulster were heavily associated with Unionism at the beginning of the Proffessional era and were cack for a long time. For that reason I don't mind if someone has supported Leinster and have stayed with them.

I don't understand the mentality of people who have little or no interest in Rugby wanting to see Ulster getting beat. It's your province and all that Unionist crap has basically disappeared from the game so why do you feel the need to blast a team trying to be the best in Europe. The sectarianism that exists around the Ulster Rugby team is ridiculous!!

Exactly, I support Munster because around the time I started following rugby they were going through some dark days in semi's and H cup finals and I liked the history and tradition of the club. Connaught and Ulster were shit and to me Leinster seemed like a load of pampered D4 pricks who were talented but didn't have the balls to step up and win. In the end Ulster was an easy choice (especially because they started winning stuff shortly after).  ;)

As you said why do you have to publicly blast Ulster just because they're mostly prods? If some orange man came on here and blasted Tyrone, Armagh or Derry and said that he is supporting Kerry or Dublin because the local team is full of taigs there'd be a holy war on here. Who was that Unionist who went to support Loughgiel in the club final? He had the right attitude and even if you do have reservations about supporting Ulster then keep them to yourself. The Ulster branch of the IRFU have done a decent job of trying to include Catholics and lose the trappings so the only major fault you could find with them is that they have alot of prods about the place.

You support Munster in the same way Irish folk support Man Utd or Liverpool, because they are, of they were successful. And those 'dark days' of heineken cup semi's and finals!

Ah I don't know about that, at the time Leinster were the form team, they had the bigger names BOD/Horgan/Contemponi and by far they played a more exciting brand of rugby. For example going to Toulouse and tearing them up by running the length of the pitch was a more notable achievement than anything Munster had done before. Munster were the nearly men of Irish Rugby, it would have been like supporting Mayo because "they were successful".
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Declan

Leinster were in a different league to Ulster. Top class stuff. Felt a bit sorry for that young outhalf. Not the best place to have a mare of a game

AZOffaly

Well done Leinster, fantastic achievement to win back to back titles, and their third in 4 years. Exceptional team, and an exceptional set up. They are the standard bearer for European Rugby, not just for Irish Rugby, and it's up to everyone else, including Munster to try and get themselves in a position to challenge.

bcarrier

As a Munster supporting Ulsterman I must thank this poster for letting me know why I took this course of action  ::) :o .

Dinny Breen

Quote from: bcarrier on May 21, 2012, 09:28:24 AM

As a Munster supporting Ulsterman I must thank this poster for letting me know why I took this course of action  ::) :o .

Why do you support them, if Munster weren't constantly on RTE with their great romantic journey and heart breaking defeats with George Hook constantly saying they were going to lose and instead they were getting knocked out in the group stages not a hope in hell you would have supported them. People liked the romance and then the success, some people might even call it bandwagoning...
#newbridgeornowhere

johnneycool

In all fairness Leinster never looked liked losing that game on Saturday. Their defence was immense and Dean Ryan at half time pointed out that Leinster concede very few tries and I could stand corrected, but I think he said that they'd not conceded a try in the first 60 minutes of any HC games this season.

Young Jackson had a poor game and made some basic errors like kicking to touch after the ball had been carried back into the 22, I think Terblance did the same thing. Not good for a struggling pack.

Is that the end of the road for Cullen?

J OGorman

mon lad. If Munster were pants you wouldnt look near them. Like all rugby supporters , or most, I will root for whatever Irish team is playing, Munster, whoever. So you are from the North, and Munster is your team? I'd be affronted.  go get 'em! Connaught are looking new fans, maybe throw you lot in with them next year. ( i hear they have a proud history of battering the English landowners in the front row and a few new signings could be the catalyst to great things)

2 Irish teams in the HC final played infront of the highest attendance ever, amazing stuff. O'Brien was on another planet on Saturday. O'Driscoll is something else. Rarely fails to deliver

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: J OGorman on May 21, 2012, 11:24:28 AM

mon lad. If Munster were pants you wouldnt look near them. Like all rugby supporters , or most, I will root for whatever Irish team is playing, Munster, whoever. So you are from the North, and Munster is your team? I'd be affronted.  go get 'em! Connaught Connacht are looking new fans, maybe throw you lot in with them next year. ( i hear they have a proud history of battering the English landowners in the front row and a few new signings could be the catalyst to great things)

2 Irish teams in the HC final played infront of the highest attendance ever, amazing stuff. O'Brien was on another planet on Saturday. O'Driscoll is something else. Rarely fails to deliver
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Myles Na G.

Terblanche, Pienaar, Muller, Afoa, Court and Wannenburg were all born far enough to know little and to care less about our wee tribal squabbles. Tuohy and Fitzpatrick are English born, but it hardly sounds like they're from planter stock, do they? Gilroy's a former Gaelic footballer. Maybe the bigots on this board - you know who you are, Lawnseed - could at least start supporting Ulster for half a match, or half a season, given that only half the team seems to be made up of those dreadful Ulster prods?

Feckitt

For those that are too polite to ask the answer is,

Craig Gilroy, Paddy McAllister, Tommy Bowe and possibly Stephen Ferris.  Also as the previous poster has pointed out Tuohy & Fitzpatrick by way of England.

Hound

Fantastic atmosphere at the ground - would have been unreal had it been close.

Lost count of the number of Ulster fans who offered congratulations to us after the match. A great bunch, a credit to their team.

Olaf

Quote from: Feckitt on May 21, 2012, 06:03:43 PM
For those that are too polite to ask the answer is,

Craig Gilroy, Paddy McAllister, Tommy Bowe and possibly Stephen Ferris.  Also as the previous poster has pointed out Tuohy & Fitzpatrick by way of England.

What's the question?