The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 17, 2012, 04:51:32 PM
Quote from: Hound on May 17, 2012, 04:30:25 PM
Quote from: Sandino on May 17, 2012, 02:12:11 PM
What TV channels are showing this live? Is it available free to view?
Sky Sports 3, "live and exclusive".

Highlights in RTE that night.

You sure about that?? Thought TG4 have exclusive Heineken highlights.
Jayz, didnt realise that.

lawnseed

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2012, 11:11:24 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 15, 2012, 10:43:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2012, 09:35:59 PM
Being an Ulsterman :o and having watched Ulster this year a few times at Ravenhill I'll be cheering on the boys, they have a decent chance and the +8 they are offering seems generous, but if Leinster turn on the magic it could be over at halftime.

Lawseed, have a bitta wit please
Traitor.

Who Lawnseed? Yeah i thought so myself
will you be flying your 'ulster banner' milltown
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Newbridge Exile

Very interesting peice on radio Ulster this morning interviewing members of Rugby clubs in Monaghan and Cavan as to where their allegiance lay , they were all backing Ulster on Sunday but one said there would be  a few from Monaghan Rugby club who would have support Munster if they played Ulster, when asked why  " Well, I went to Thomond Park for Ulster versus Munster, and when you see guys carrying the Northern Ireland soccer flag to a game, it doesn't enthuse you to follow it,"

AQMP

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 18, 2012, 01:53:36 PM
Very interesting peice on radio Ulster this morning interviewing members of Rugby clubs in Monaghan and Cavan as to where their allegiance lay , they were all backing Ulster on Sunday but one said there would be  a few from Monaghan Rugby club who would have support Munster if they played Ulster, when asked why  " Well, I went to Thomond Park for Ulster versus Munster, and when you see guys carrying the Northern Ireland soccer flag to a game, it doesn't enthuse you to follow it,"

Eunan McConville obviously is unfamilair with a Monaghan accent!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18111089

Heineken Cup final: Will Cavan and Monaghan rugby fans support Ulster?
By Eunan McConville  BBC News

It is the first time the Heineken Cup final has been an all-Ireland affair, with Ulster taking on neighbours and reigning champions Leinster on Saturday.  While most of the Ulster support in Twickenham may come from Northern Ireland, there will be plenty of rugby people from the Republic of Ireland lending their voices to the choruses of 'Stand Up for the Ulster Men'.  The Ulster Rugby branch administers the game throughout the whole province of Ulster - including Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan. There are nine clubs in the Republic affiliated to the Ulster branch.  Just across the border, not far from Armagh city is the town of Monaghan - home to the only rugby club in the county.  It was here that I met club stalwarts John Taylor and Seamus O'Neill.

Mr Taylor is an enthusiastic Ulster supporter.  In fact, he is Monaghan RFC's representative to the Ulster Branch, and there is no doubt where his loyalties will lie.  "Being in Monaghan, we're all part of Ulster and we go down and support Ulster as much as possible," he says.   "Then there's the fact that Tommy Bowe is coming back home which is going to make it even better for us. We'll definitely be down in Ravenhill to watch Tommy playing."  I ask him if he's ever been mistaken for a Leinster supporter in Ravenhill because of his accent. With a wry smile, he is quick to correct me.  "Ah no. Monaghan accent? Get away. It's different to a Leinster accent totally... I don't think so. We fit in very well."

Mr O'Neill is a bit more circumspect when I ask him if Ulster would be his first choice when it comes to Irish provinces.  "It depends who they're playing," he explains.   In short, he says he and a few others in Monaghan RFC would support Munster first and foremost, then Ulster after that.  "But on Saturday I'll be nailing my colours firmly to the mast and I'll be supporting Ulster against Leinster," he says.   So why does Ulster not feature as his favoured team?  "Well, I went to Thomond Park for Ulster versus Munster, and when you see guys carrying the Northern Ireland soccer flag to a game, it doesn't enthuse you to follow it," he added.    "But we do feel welcome at Ravenhill. There's absolutely no problem there and we're taken in with open hands there. We're perceived as Ulstermen in that respect."

Further west along the road lies Cavan town. Geographically, it's closer to Leinster Rugby's headquarters in Dublin than it is to Belfast and Ravenhill.   County Cavan RFC lies in the middle of Gaelic football country and the oval ball code is certainly seen as a minority sport.  But the people I meet at the club are as passionate about their rugby as anyone who will be in Twickenham.   In some ways, Cavan RFC have to be - after all, at times they have to travel for four hours just to play a game.  The incoming club president, Frank Walls, explains that in the 1970s Cavan RFC competed in the Leinster branch of the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU).  "The club was reformed in 1977 and we still have members in the club who have won both the Towns Cup in Leinster, and leagues and cups in Ulster," he says.   "Originally, when the club was reformed, the games in Leinster were played on a Sunday and because of the Troubles, the lads found it easier to travel and play in Leinster.   "Until, that is, they made the mistake of going down and winning the Towns Cup and then Leinster said, 'bye bye'.   "So we have now since 1978 been playing in Ulster, with a lot of success and a lot of great experiences."  But as far as Mr Walls is concerned, that is ancient history and he says he has no split loyalties.  "Without question, we'll be supporting Ulster," he says.   Ladies team member Caroline O'Reilly is just as adamant about Cavan's support for Brian McLaughlin's men.   She has even worn the white Ulster jersey herself through her involvement in the Ulster ladies development squad.  "As a team, we'd be Ulster supporters all the way," she says.   "We had a bit of training last night and I said to the girls, 'so girls are we representing Ulster at the weekend?'   "And they said, definitely, SUFTUM (Stand Up For The Ulster Men) all the way.   "We're all for Ulster, on the ladies team anyway."

bannside

Come on Ulster.

I would have a great love of Munster and Kerry in particular - Gaelic football at its best, holidays, greyhound and horse racing and all the stuff I am into. And what Irish sportsman couldnt love the way Munster lit the torch for Irish rugby over the last decade.

So when they recently faced Ulster in Thomond I had a bit of a tough choice to make.

I didnt have as much difficulty making that choice as I thought. Munster men honestly believe they are the Kingdom, and rule the roost in all aspects of Irish sporting life. The best way to earn their respect is to beat them now and again (ala Tyrone) to get a measure of respect from them. The thought of an Ulster team turning them over at fortress Thomond would have been unthinkable to most of them. So that was my own motivation for cheering Ulster on against them.

The fact that forward thinking Ulster rugby giants such as Willie Anderson and Trevor Ringland - and in particular the way they stood up squarly behind the GAA at a time when it would have been easier to look the other way - fortified my opinion that it was time to get behind our own province, in spite of some polar political views.

I think Ulster Gaa may have missed a trick here. I think we should have got out there a lot more publicly in our support for the Ulster team. At least those of the view that sports and politics shouldnt ever be allowed to mix, and those also of a view that there is still work to be done to continue building bridges in society.

The Harlequins/St Bridgids lead is another example of the forward thinking that is an example to all that there is plenty of genuine support in the rugby Community from those amongst them who are big enough to embrace Gaelic Games as a progressive influence in our times.

And as for the small percentage of Ulster supporters who produce their traditional Ulster flag, in a way that may cause offence - well I think maybe we should be big enough and secure enough in our own skins as not to allow this to become any sort of issue. There are still a few out there a bit slow in getting the message.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: AQMP on May 18, 2012, 02:02:39 PM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 18, 2012, 01:53:36 PM

Eunan McConville obviously is unfamilair with a Monaghan accent!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18111089

Heineken Cup final: Will Cavan and Monaghan rugby fans support Ulster?
By Eunan McConville  BBC News

It is the first time the Heineken Cup final has been an all-Ireland affair, with Ulster taking on neighbours and reigning champions Leinster on Saturday.  While most of the Ulster support in Twickenham may come from Northern Ireland, there will be plenty of rugby people from the Republic of Ireland lending their voices to the choruses of 'Stand Up for the Ulster Men'.  The Ulster Rugby branch administers the game throughout the whole province of Ulster - including Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan. There are nine clubs in the Republic affiliated to the Ulster branch.  Just across the border, not far from Armagh city is the town of Monaghan - home to the only rugby club in the county.  It was here that I met club stalwarts John Taylor and Seamus O'Neill.

Mr Taylor is an enthusiastic Ulster supporter.  In fact, he is Monaghan RFC's representative to the Ulster Branch, and there is no doubt where his loyalties will lie.  "Being in Monaghan, we're all part of Ulster and we go down and support Ulster as much as possible," he says.   "Then there's the fact that Tommy Bowe is coming back home which is going to make it even better for us. We'll definitely be down in Ravenhill to watch Tommy playing."  I ask him if he's ever been mistaken for a Leinster supporter in Ravenhill because of his accent. With a wry smile, he is quick to correct me.  "Ah no. Monaghan accent? Get away. It's different to a Leinster accent totally... I don't think so. We fit in very well."

Mr O'Neill is a bit more circumspect when I ask him if Ulster would be his first choice when it comes to Irish provinces.  "It depends who they're playing," he explains.   In short, he says he and a few others in Monaghan RFC would support Munster first and foremost, then Ulster after that.  "But on Saturday I'll be nailing my colours firmly to the mast and I'll be supporting Ulster against Leinster," he says.   So why does Ulster not feature as his favoured team?  "Well, I went to Thomond Park for Ulster versus Munster, and when you see guys carrying the Northern Ireland soccer flag to a game, it doesn't enthuse you to follow it," he added.    "But we do feel welcome at Ravenhill. There's absolutely no problem there and we're taken in with open hands there. We're perceived as Ulstermen in that respect."

Further west along the road lies Cavan town. Geographically, it's closer to Leinster Rugby's headquarters in Dublin than it is to Belfast and Ravenhill.   County Cavan RFC lies in the middle of Gaelic football country and the oval ball code is certainly seen as a minority sport.  But the people I meet at the club are as passionate about their rugby as anyone who will be in Twickenham.   In some ways, Cavan RFC have to be - after all, at times they have to travel for four hours just to play a game.  The incoming club president, Frank Walls, explains that in the 1970s Cavan RFC competed in the Leinster branch of the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU).  "The club was reformed in 1977 and we still have members in the club who have won both the Towns Cup in Leinster, and leagues and cups in Ulster," he says.   "Originally, when the club was reformed, the games in Leinster were played on a Sunday and because of the Troubles, the lads found it easier to travel and play in Leinster.   "Until, that is, they made the mistake of going down and winning the Towns Cup and then Leinster said, 'bye bye'.   "So we have now since 1978 been playing in Ulster, with a lot of success and a lot of great experiences."  But as far as Mr Walls is concerned, that is ancient history and he says he has no split loyalties.  "Without question, we'll be supporting Ulster," he says.   Ladies team member Caroline O'Reilly is just as adamant about Cavan's support for Brian McLaughlin's men.   She has even worn the white Ulster jersey herself through her involvement in the Ulster ladies development squad.  "As a team, we'd be Ulster supporters all the way," she says.   "We had a bit of training last night and I said to the girls, 'so girls are we representing Ulster at the weekend?'   "And they said, definitely, SUFTUM (Stand Up For The Ulster Men) all the way.   "We're all for Ulster, on the ladies team anyway."
So he supported munster because of the ni soccer flags the fans brought to the game, Some logic there, if he sees the same fans with the same flags will he support Leinster this weekend. Oh it must only counts when there playing munster as he said hes definitly supporting Ulster this weekend.. ::)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Capt Pat

Leinster 30 Ulster 20 

Ulster have a chance if they get on top up front and take their chances. Leinster just have a lot more quality overall.

onefaircounty

Capt Pat

First row sports and atdhe should all have it.

thewobbler

I'm watching this on a foreign stream and don't have the benefit of analysts - but are Ulster not getting well and truly hanged by this ref?

trileacman

Quote from: thewobbler on May 19, 2012, 06:13:04 PM
I'm watching this on a foreign stream and don't have the benefit of analysts - but are Ulster not getting well and truly hanged by this ref?

Nah they are getting battered because they're shit. Hen's have come to roost for Ulster, probably wouldn't be in the top 4 teams in Europe.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Captain Obvious

Leinster the greatest team in Europe ever. Fair play to them Ulster humbled.

screenexile

Quote from: trileacman on May 19, 2012, 06:55:49 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 19, 2012, 06:13:04 PM

Nah they are getting battered because they're shit. Hen's have come to roost for Ulster, probably wouldn't be in the top 4 teams in Europe.

Did it not just go pretty  according to plan?

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

trileacman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 19, 2012, 06:59:55 PM
Leinster the greatest team in Europe ever. Fair play to them Ulster humbled.

Tbh in the Cheika era I thought they were poor enough and I think the final they won against Leicster was a cheap enough final, as Dunphy would say not a stellar year. Now though they have evolved into one of the best teams around, making Ireland's poor form of late all the more annoying. Would love to see them go up against Toulouse at their prime or Munster with Tipoki/Mafi/Howlett going through the gears.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014