The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheedy

brilliant performance by leinster. nailbiting stuff at the end.
nil satis nisi optimum

laoislad

;D ;D
I hear the same excuse when there is booing at GAA matches..
Sure they couldn't be real GAA/Rugby fans they have to be soccer fans :D

Amazing the amount of none GAA/Rugby fans that actually go to these games.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gawa316

Where would one pick up a couple of tickets for the final?

Hound

Quote from: Hardy on April 29, 2012, 02:20:46 PM
Just a perception, but it seems to me the amount of booing by Ulster supporters is way beyond the norm for rugby (with Leinster second, but by a good bit). Just about every decision, right or wrong, against their team is booed. And, for the first time ever, I saw a rugby player coming on as a sub for the opposition being booed because he was formerly an Ulster player. Is it the siege mentality or what?
Leinster wouldnt be anywhere near 2nd in the booing stakes, nor would Ulster be top.

Thomond Park is one of the most intimidating grounds a visiting team can play in or a ref can ref in.
The wall of silence for kickers gets the most coverage, but opposition hookers can get a torrid time when throwing in, and if a ref gives what looks like a bad call against the redmen, then there'll be an enormous cacophony of boos.

But all the Irish teams are in the halpenny place when it comes to booing compared to the French club sides. There's absolutely no comparison. Its part of the game over there. They don't mean any disrespect, they just try and make it as hard as possible for the opposition players!

Dougal Maguire

Interesting interview with Rory Best on Radio Ulster this morning when he said that winning with Ulster meant more to him than winning with Ireland
Careful now

gallsman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 30, 2012, 05:11:17 PM
Interesting interview with Rory Best on Radio Ulster this morning when he said that winning with Ulster meant more to him than winning with Ireland

Seems fair enough. I'd say most in the GAA would cherish winning more with their club than their county to draw a parallel.

Dinny Breen

QuoteRob Penney was today confirmed as Munster's new Head Coach
The 48 year old  has been Head Coach of Canterbury since 2006, and last season took them to their fourth straight ITM Cup national provincial title. He also has Super Rugby coaching experience with the Crusaders where he was assistant coach in 2005 when they won the Super 12 title and he has maintained his involvement with the Crusaders as Development Squad Coach.

A former Canterbury Academy Manager, Penney will coach the defending World Champion New Zealand Under 20 side during next month's IRB Junior World Championship in South Africa,and he is expected to arrive in Munster in mid July for the start of a two year contract subject to obtaining a valid work permit.

Anthony Foley will continue on as Forwards Coach while expected change in the rest of the management team will be finalised following consultation with the new Head Coach.

Commenting on the appointment Munster CEO Garrett Fitzgerald said, " We conducted a thorough search to find a replacement for Tony McGahan and were delighted with the calibre of the candidates. Rob Penney's record speaks for itself and we look forward to welcoming him to Munster."

Penney leaves Canterbury with reluctant best wishes according to Canterbury Rugby Football Union CEO Hamish Riach,  "Rob has been a great servant for Canterbury rugby. We are very sorry to lose a talented coach, but this is a fantastic opportunity for him and we wish him all the best."

Very exciting appointment by Munster Rugby - great for Ireland as well.
#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

gawa316

Quote from: Declan on May 14, 2012, 02:15:53 PM
http://www.ryanair.com/ie/notices/gops/120508-newskiesclosure-en-GB

Be careful if travelling over this weekend and check in early!!

Feck good man, I'll have to get that sorted tomorrow so

Capt Pat

Who is heading over to the game?

Denn Forever

I hear next year's final is in the Aviva.  Hopefully we'll have another All-Ireland.

But what is the Amlin Challenge Cup?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2012/0514/320890-rds-will-host-amlin-challenge-final/

The RDS will host the 2013 Amlin Challenge Cup final, it has been confirmed.

The final will take place on Friday 17 May 2013 with the Heineken Cup showpiece going ahead the following day at the Aviva Stadium.

It will be the first time that the RDS has hosted the decider.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 14, 2012, 05:15:47 PM
I hear next year's final is in the Aviva.  Hopefully we'll have another All-Ireland.

But what is the Amlin Challenge Cup?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2012/0514/320890-rds-will-host-amlin-challenge-final/

The RDS will host the 2013 Amlin Challenge Cup final, it has been confirmed.

The final will take place on Friday 17 May 2013 with the Heineken Cup showpiece going ahead the following day at the Aviva Stadium.

It will be the first time that the RDS has hosted the decider.

Secondary competition run by ERC... the 9th and 10th placed teams in the Heinken Cup get thrown into the Quarter stages to meet the 6 group winners
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ballinaman

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 14, 2012, 04:51:23 PM
I shall be the independent adjudicator from Connacht.

Flight over on Friday evening and back at 8am from Stansted on Sunday morning..... 8) No bags, just a passport, toothbrush and match tickets...the essentials.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 14, 2012, 04:51:23 PM

going Friday afternoon - sunday afternoon. 4th in 5 years. Saw a Munster and 2 Leinster victories so far so another Irish victory guaranteed. My first AI Final in 19 years !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

screenexile

Ferris, Pienaar, Kearney, Sexton & Wilkinson up for European Player of the Year!!

A toss up between Ferris and Kearney imo.