Tyrone v Armagh - Ulster Championship 2009

Started by Kerry Mike, October 08, 2008, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingmule

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 01, 2009, 06:47:34 PM
Quote from: kickingmule on June 01, 2009, 06:41:39 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 01, 2009, 06:11:48 PM
Oakleader is only saying what the majority of neutrals have already stated, completely cynical/'professional' fouling of a man who couldn't come to terms with a top forward, there is no shame in that.

Kevin McCloy has no relevance to this debate whatsoever. Petty and lazy comparison

block got sent off for 2nd yellow card offence ... end of story!!!
overall , he had a grand game and tackled hard and fair like the class defender he is.
Doesnt make much sense to send him off for persistant fouling then!
persistant fouling??? ::)    ...i believe he was set off for 2nd yellow card offence!!!

qz

Quote from: corn02 on June 01, 2009, 04:45:47 PM
Quote from: AFS on June 01, 2009, 04:42:52 PM
Quote from: qz on June 01, 2009, 04:28:58 PM
Not sure why there are posters referring to Armagh as a "very young team". There were only 4 players to start who were under 25. Donaghy, the 2 midfielders and the late replacement #28 according to the programme bio listing.

Or put another way, of the 19 players used yesterday 13 were 26 or under.

Superb AFS.

I wouldn't consider a batch of 25 year olds as young players.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: kickingmule on June 01, 2009, 07:04:34 PM
Oakleader is only saying what the majority of neutrals have already stated, completely cynical/'professional' fouling of a man who couldn't come to terms with a top forward, there is no shame in that.

Kevin McCloy has no relevance to this debate whatsoever. Petty and lazy comparison

overall , he had a grand game and tackled hard and fair like the class defender he is.
persistant fouling??? ::)    ...i believe he was set off for 2nd yellow card offence!!!
and what did he get the cards for?  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

kickingmule

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 01, 2009, 07:26:36 PM
Quote from: kickingmule on June 01, 2009, 07:04:34 PM

and what did he get the cards for?  ::)
maybe good luck.. for ulster and all-ireland finals!!!       what you reckon?  ;)

Norf Tyrone

I thought Gormley could've had a 2nd yellow a foul or two earlier to be fair. I don't think it deserves 29 pages on it though.

Did anyone watch the BBC coverage. Awful.
The fella doing analyis or co commentating had to be prompted all day.

Commentator- A foul there Kevin?
Kevin- Aye he pulled his jersey.
Commentator- A harsh yellow do you think?
Kevin- I've seen them given.

I swore the commentator sighed once.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ExiledGael

Who's Kevin? Was it Sidebottom commentating?

Armamike

Haven't read through all the posts since yesterday but some thoughts (which probably have been debated already!). Fairly enjoyable game, played in the right spirit (unlike the shite that went on the week before).  From an Armagh point of view i've mixed feelings. Some encouraging signs and displays. The likes of Donaghy and Lavery in particular really stood up and delivered in a tough game.  I liked the way the team responded to being 8 points down. If the spirit was low, they could easily have thrown in the towel. But they showed a lot of grit and with a bit of luck could have snatched it.  Not as disappointed as losing as i should be, but there are worrying signs that the lessons from last year haven't been learned.  The half forwards are not contributing anything on the scoresheet and until that's fixed we're not going to trouble enough teams. Been saying that for 4 or 5 years now though and nothing has changed.  Far too much is centred on McDonnell and particularly Clarke's shoulders. Clarke is winning most of the ball as usual but is being constantly fouled (Gormley yesterday should have walked much earlier) - others need to step up and give him some support. What's the problem here? Are players like Mallon being told to sit back and not get forward or do they not have the ability to do it? It's strange.  Why not give the likes of Forker a try in the half forwards as another scoring option.  Vernon or McKenna possible options as well.   On the flipside yesterday the half forwards didn't do a great job of stopping Tyrone's half backs attacking so it wasn't as if they were doing sterling work on the defensive side.  Too much possession is going through Martin O'Rourke - he's a great trier and gives his all but we need more accuracy in the passing and Martin's possession to accuracy ratio ain't good.  Again, Hearty was the cause of another couple of silly scores - and even the O'Neill goal he could have done better with -getting beat at his near post.  Disappointed too that Peter McDonnell only made a few subs when we went 8 down - the writing was on the wall before that and changes should have been made before the pattern of the game was reflected on the scoreboard.

The big advantage that Tyrone have is their running and support - they've players who can cover a lot of ground on the ball and players in support all the time.  They have players who put in the hard yards as they say. The likes of Justin McMahon and Enda McGinley went on a few lung bursting runs in serious heat yesterday. Armagh and other sides need to be willing to match that level of intensity and desire if they're to beat Tyrone.

Great to see the minors winning and halting the Tyrone underage conveyor belt for a year anyway!

That's just, like your opinion man.

ArmaghGAAforum

Quote from: Armamike on June 01, 2009, 08:41:43 PM

Great to see the minors winning and halting the Tyrone underage conveyor belt for a year anyway!

Yep it certainly was a great win for the minors. Here is coverage of the minor game for those who were still in the bar.........

http://armaghgaa.info/forum/f5/minors-armagh-2-8-1-9-tyrone-157/

BerfArmagh

Jesus CLones was hot on sunday, i got completely roasted. Tyrone deserved victory on the day, they had just a bit too much class with the likes of o neill, Dooher & Cavanagh. I must say I went on sunday in hoping that we would'nt get slaughtered & fair play to the massive Armagh support which turned out on the day. To be honest, i quite enjoyed the game, it was played in a good spirit & I think Armagh can tale a lot of positives from the game. Mid field can be deemed a success, indeed Lavery (Much maligned) was one of armaghs best performers and scored an excellent point. Clarke was well shaparoned by Gormley, but stuck at it and scored a gr8 goal. Kernan had a good second half & stevie, brian mallon & young o rourke give everything. The Armagh defence was excellent, particualry mc keever, donaghy & mallon (motm for armagh). I thought we did a lot of things very well, running & securing possession, tackling with tenasity & standing up to be counted, particularly when things looks like they were pulling away. The real problem was the dreadful quality ball which went into clarke & inaccurate passing in general. We were gr8 up until the final third, which has long been our achilles heel. Duffy tired hard, but is not a CHF, i thought hearty was v lucky not to be replaced, he was at fault for at least 2 points and he generally panics in possession.

Personally i think, while disappointed, Armagh fans left on sunday, not too down hearted, the team give a good account of themselves & give 100%, you can't aslk for much more. We were playing a superb tyrone team at leats 3 years further on than us. Looking forward to the back door drwa, there seems to be life in a few new dogs yet. Up Armagh

Armamike

Quote from: Bensars on June 01, 2009, 01:03:03 PM
Quote from: corn02 on June 01, 2009, 12:49:09 PM
The end of the day performance meant more than result - and the second half performance was pleasing.

Win, a lot of people agree with you, but for me Henderson did not have a great league campaign. He had one spectacular match and was disappointing there after.

Performance meaning more than than result  is an excuse trotted out by losers. If Armagh had have won that game yesterday playing ugly, there would'nt have been too many in the orchard county complaining. 

You are very wrong on that score.  Winning ugly and making it a foul fest isn't the road to long term success for any side, better to play a certain way and build on that for the long term.

Over the Bar

Great game for the summer sun of Clones.

Armagh supporters happy to get away with being able to say "with a bit of luck we could have stolen it" while really knowing they were fortunate to leave the ground without a dominated double-digit hammering but for Tyrone's wayward shooting and passing up on a couple of extra goal chances. 

All's fair in love and war!

mackers

Good Lad OTB, waiting for an insightful in-depth post from you and you didn't disappoint! ::) ::)

Quote from: Gaffer on June 01, 2009, 06:56:52 PM
Did anyone set the Sky + to record the match on BBC2 and come home to find it hadn t recorded?

Happened to me and 3 or 4 others at work.

Yea, came home to find some show at 2pm today was to be recorded.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Armamike on June 01, 2009, 10:03:35 PM
Quote from: Bensars on June 01, 2009, 01:03:03 PM
Quote from: corn02 on June 01, 2009, 12:49:09 PM
The end of the day performance meant more than result - and the second half performance was pleasing.

Win, a lot of people agree with you, but for me Henderson did not have a great league campaign. He had one spectacular match and was disappointing there after.

Performance meaning more than than result  is an excuse trotted out by losers. If Armagh had have won that game yesterday playing ugly, there would'nt have been too many in the orchard county complaining. 

You are very wrong on that score.  Winning ugly and making it a foul fest isn't the road to long term success for any side, better to play a certain way and build on that for the long term.

Excellent point Armamike! However I think your post belongs here:

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=12441.0

Armamike

pearseog

read a post from a tyrone fan a few pages back who said its a disgrace that armagh are happy with a 3 point defeat.
i say to that person what do you propose we do? take positives from the game and build for the qualifiers or call for the managers head like you did last year?