Can you copy from Sky+ box to PC?

Started by Over the Bar, October 06, 2008, 05:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Anyone know if it's possible to plug your laptop into Sky+ box so I can transfer and then burn to a dvd using Nero?   If so do you need any particular software?

Bensars

easiest way is to copy to dvd recorder.

I tried to look at the options after the all ireland. There is software available on the net but i had a look at the installation rules and procedures and it was over my head. Some of the software requires you to open the actual sky + box also.

Needless to say i steered well clear

Jack_Black

i think if you had a PC card with recording capabilities.

Take the RF output off the Sky box into your PC card aerial input.

dont quote me on it though.

milltown row

has anyone done this yet? lookin to save some stuff onto disc

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Archie Mitchell

It's possible to backup the stuff on your Sky+ hard drive onto your PC. Google "Backup Sky+ to PC" and you will get results on how to do it. It requires opening up your Sky+ box and putting the hdd into a USB case. For that reason I didn't bother doing it. You would also have to worry about what format this data is in, it won't be in standard mpeg or whatever standard video format.

I just used a DVD recorder to copy my taped programmes. Just install your DVD recorder, tune in the Sky channel so can view it on DVD recorder, then in your planner select the programme(s) and press red button to copy. What this does is just play your programmes while you press record on the DVD player. While doing this you won't be able to watch anything else on Sky so best doing it at night time or when not in the house. On most of the DVD recorders, you will have to "finish" a disc so you can view the DVD on other DVD players and computers.

mylestheslasher

The best way to do this would be to buy a TV card (with scart input) for your pc. Instead of plugging your skybox into your TV just plug into the new tv card. Once it is playing on this card on your pc you can just hit a record button. TV cards are around €80 - €100 if memory serves me. There is the other way above either where you open the box.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on November 01, 2009, 04:39:02 PM
It's possible to backup the stuff on your Sky+ hard drive onto your PC. Google "Backup Sky+ to PC" and you will get results on how to do it. It requires opening up your Sky+ box and putting the hdd into a USB case. For that reason I didn't bother doing it. You would also have to worry about what format this data is in, it won't be in standard mpeg or whatever standard video format.

I just used a DVD recorder to copy my taped programmes. Just install your DVD recorder, tune in the Sky channel so can view it on DVD recorder, then in your planner select the programme(s) and press red button to copy. What this does is just play your programmes while you press record on the
DVD player. While doing this you won't be able to watch anything else on Sky so best doing it at night time or when not in the house. On most of the DVD recorders, you will have to "finish" a disc so you can view the DVD on other DVD players and computers.

I recorded a number of Tyrone games this year from the sky box onto DVD recorder, problem is I can only watch it again using this DVD player. Is that what you mean by 'finishing' the DVD Archie? If so how do you go about it?

Archie Mitchell

Yes omagh_gael. If you don't finish it, it means you can still record to it and can only see the video on that particular DVD player. It's usual don't through the setup menu where you can add a name, change quality etc.

omagh_gael

Gaffer

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on November 01, 2009, 05:43:50 PM
Yes omagh_gael. If you don't finish it, it means you can still record to it and can only see the video on that particular DVD player. It's usual don't through the setup menu where you can add a name, change quality etc.

On my DVD recorder it's call ' finalising ' the disc to enable it to be played on other DVD players.

You should find the option easy enough. 'Finalising ' the disc takes about 3 or 4 minutes on my recorder depending on the length of the programme on the disc. Its a pretty straight forward operation. Just follow the on screen ibstructions !!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

clarshack

easiest way is to record to a dvd recorder via scart and then copy the vob files from the dvd disc to pc.