Patrick Kielty and A Night in November

Started by Main Street, September 27, 2008, 08:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

The torture never stops :)

BBC NI Mon 21.00  Patrick Kielty and A Night in November
Blurb:
"A behind the scenes look at the 2007 production of Marie Jones  one-man play, based on events ;D surrounding the 1993 WC Qualifying match."

I'm glad to hear that they are behaving themselves these days. Fortunately throughout those bad old days (before that atmosphere was totally transformed) the good reputation of the Republic fans never suffered by (name) association. Rather, it was enhanced by comparisons.

fred the red

Is your wan Jones not an OWC fan?

surely then she depicts the episode from the home sides point of view.

Main Street

Yes indeed, shocking as the dramatisation of the events from that November night were in the much acclaimed one-man play, surely it does bear some consideration that she  actually painted the NI supporters in a more gentle colour.

Square Ball

The boul Tony F was a lot to say on this issue and was recommending the show to all....
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Main Street on September 27, 2008, 08:32:53 PM

Blurb:
"A behind the scenes look at the 2007 production of Marie Jones  one-man play, based on events ;D surrounding the 1993 WC Qualifying match."

I'm glad to hear that they are behaving themselves these days. Fortunately throughout those bad old days (before that atmosphere was totally transformed) the good reputation of the Republic fans never suffered by (name) association. Rather, it was enhanced by comparisons.

Its laughable how much hatred there was there.......some one said in a thread about how far NI supporters have come...........doesnt really take a lot compared to that.......not taking a pop here but that was terrible!!

My sisters B/f is a big NI fan and tells me its getting better now but just not for me!!
Were planning to take him to Croke for the Cyprus match......I've told him theres more people in the toilet there than there is in WP....LOL
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Tonto

Quote from: Main Street on September 28, 2008, 02:11:43 AM
Yes indeed, shocking as the dramatisation of the events from that November night were in the much acclaimed one-man play, surely it does bear some consideration that she  actually painted the NI supporters in a more gentle colour.
As far as I know, she is only a recent recruit of the GAWA so when the play was written she wouldn't have been worrying about how much shite she put in it.

Main Street

Her one-man play has been acclaimed by critics from Belfast to Bombay.
Marie Jones has been attending WP games for a few years now and appears not to be afflicted with bigotry denial.
Belfast Telegraph
"The play is loosely based on real-life events which took place in November 1993 when a World Cup qualifying match between Northern Ireland and the Republic was dogged by racism and sectarianism".

It will be interesting to see this documentary on Kielty and how he came to terms with his first big theatrical role and a one-man role at that.

MW

Blurb:

Though the RoI's team's choice of, ahem, musical entertainment does spring to mind...

See, two can stir that pot of yours if you want to :P

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: MW on September 28, 2008, 05:41:29 PM

Blurb:

Though the RoI's team's choice of, ahem, musical entertainment does spring to mind...

See, two can stir that pot of yours if you want to :P

Seriously MW is that the best you can come back with.
Admit the obvious you have a bigotted support (and this shite about it being a small section is bollocks, I´ve been around the University area pre-match and it at isn´t nice!),.
Yes you are trying to change, but it´s a slow process and youse have a hell of a lot of loyalist hangers on baggage.
Tbc....

nifan

QuoteAdmit the obvious you have a bigotted support

How much of it is bigoted?
Im often round the uni area pre game and its usually dead on, bar the occasional locked arsehole- what bit do you have trouble with? There have been incidents (not all ni fans - a few incidents involving a well known antrim gaa player/egomaniac spring to mind!) but in recent times it hasnt seemed like much trouble.

Hurler on the Bitch

Reference .. was there not a thread on this last year some time? BasicallY it went through the following ... The Queen, No Surrender during the Queen, Union Flag, 'Ulster Flag', Windsor Cold House, More Linfield scarfs than NI scarfs, loads of clean-faced Christians attending games, Ulstermen, Keith Gillespie is a nasty bit of work etc.... Paddy Kielty's career is  on the ropes if he has to dig this dated play up........ Marie Jones wee lad is in the GAWA and brought his Ma along..... she thought it was gr8 .. Might I make an observation here .. there is no doubt that things have changed at WP.... but the fact is that times have changed .. that game in 93 was played less than a month after the Shankill bomb and Greysteel .... today there is none of that shite to tarnish things... However, the day that I travel to an away game and feel confident that someone will not take offence as my name is not Norman, Billy or Sammy, well then times will have changed... 

Main Street

If you don't support NI football team, why bother going to WP.
If you go as a curious neutral, you will live to tell the tale without having to go through a physical or a damaging emotional assault.
If you go as a NI fan, you'll suffer the football but enjoy the atmosphere.

This is just simply a thread announcing that the BBC are screening this documentary about the scenes behind the staging of the November Night in the Cauldron of Bigotry on prime time. This story just will not go away.
Should be interesting.

The play is based on events.
Belfast people are portrayed stereotypically, give or take a few irrelevant technical arguments over what was or what was not chanted.
Republic fans are portrayed as a bunch of stereotypical football drunks on a constant bender.
But I don't hear Republic fans whining like a bunch of sissies about the play.
I thought it was only people like the Reverend Glass got all hysterical with protesting about the medium of theatre.

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Main Street on September 28, 2008, 11:13:01 PM
If you don't support NI football team, why bother going to WP.
If you go as a curious neutral, you will live to tell the tale without having to go through a physical or a damaging emotional assault.
If you go as a NI fan, you'll suffer the football but enjoy the atmosphere.

This is just simply a thread announcing that the BBC are screening this documentary about the scenes behind the staging of the November Night in the Cauldron of Bigotry on prime time. This story just will not go away.
Should be interesting.

The play is based on events.
Belfast people are portrayed stereotypically, give or take a few irrelevant technical arguments over what was or what was not chanted.
Republic fans are portrayed as a bunch of stereotypical football drunks on a constant bender.
But I don't hear Republic fans whining like a bunch of sissies about the play.
I thought it was only people like the Reverend Glass got all hysterical with protesting about the medium of theatre.

wtf? ...

Main Street

We cant read minds here,
is there anything in there worth reading about?

rosnarun

its a shit play.Badly written ill conceived and basically dishonest as this crime against theatre was committed by a staunchly nationalistic crew masquerading as unionists and it sole attraction is playing to the prejudices of even the most mildly  nationalist audience members.eg. the only way for a prod to become a decent man was to abandon his people and take up with the morons that populated Jack charltons band  of plastic paddies .

Avoid at all costs
Stones in their Pockets is little better 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere