Watering holes in Sligo town.

Started by Great Leap Forward, September 25, 2008, 01:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Leap Forward

I am for a stag do in Sligo over the weekend and we are looking for a few places to go to. There is going to be about a dozen of us and we will be looking for a few places to take in at night.

Some of us won't be down until 8pm so we will need a pub or club that opens late to get some value out of our evening.

The cleintelle are all over 25 but we are all culchies so we don't want anything too swanky or anything that plays rave music or whatever you call it nowdays.

toiletroller

wherefromreferee?

Its not that bad.  Shoot the crows does good porter.  GlassHouse is impressive.  Plenty of pubs around the water.
In your Endo!

SLIGONIAN

Shenangins, mchughs, belfry, glasshouse and garvougue are my fav pubs.

Velvet room has loads of hen partys and its a stylish enough niteclub with great talent every sat, its big aswell and you wont be cramped. Toffs is another good spot for clubbing. Sligo is good craic and has good nitelife.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Great Leap Forward

Cheers lads. I am sure we will find our way around a few of those. It always helps to have a general idea of a few decent places so the flock can be pointed in the right direction.

ardmhachaabu

McGarrigles, Harcadons.. the list goes on and on  :D

I like drinking in Sligo
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 25, 2008, 02:26:13 PM
Shenangins, mchughs, belfry, glasshouse and garvougue are my fav pubs.

Velvet room has loads of hen partys and its a stylish enough niteclub with great talent every sat, its big aswell and you wont be cramped. Toffs is another good spot for clubbing. Sligo is good craic and has good nitelife.

Has the garavogue not shut down Sliogonian???

Shoot The Crows, Mcloughlins, Hargadons for a good pint. Although all are smallish so might be a tad cramped for stag night. But might be a good way to start of the evening.

The Glasshouse, The Belfry, Fiddlers Creek for more "upmarket" pubs - also much bigger than the three pubs mentioned above.

the Velvet Rooms definitely the best club in town with Toffs a distant second.

Maybe start off in Shoots or Hargadons early evening, move over to Fiddlers/Glasshouse later on & finish off in Velvet Rooms...

belleaqua

Shenanigans seems the place to be since it opened, worth a look and next door to the Velvet Rooms

ardmhachaabu

Where is Shenanigans?

BTW Last time I passed Toffs was walking back from the Mill Bar and there was a boy getting 7 shades of sh1t beat out of him by one of the bouncers who used an extendable baton on him.  I don't know what their attitude is like inside, but outside, they seemed to think they are a law unto themselves.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

stevo-08

Shenanigans is right beside Fureys. Has just opened up, I havent been yet.

ardmhachaabu

Yes, I know where it is now

You a local stevo?

magpie seanie

Only other I'd give a notable mention to is Connollys for the stout. Prob not a great spot for a stag mind (old mans pub) but could be an option for a starter pub. Was in Hargadons last Friday night for a few pints of Guinness and it was top class. Great that its back open.

Velvet Room is top notch. Defo the spot to end up in.

stevo-08

Connollys, yes a good pint to be had there alright

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 25, 2008, 05:03:39 PM
Yes, I know where it is now

You a local stevo?

I am indeed lucky enough to hail from sligo. although not from the town.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: belleaqua on September 25, 2008, 04:38:50 PM
Shenanigans seems the place to be since it opened, worth a look and next door to the Velvet Rooms

Apparently the owner spent 4 million refurbishing shenanigans so it should be good.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

nrico2006

Hit Foleys bar!  Class, then the Velvet Rooms!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'