2 Penalty Point For displaying R plates

Started by rolloutking, August 14, 2008, 02:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolloutking

Im a restricted driver (in N. Ireland) for another few months and have the R plates up in my oul boys car which im insured on so I can drive about.

A few days ago he got stopped by the police and got 2 penalty points for not taking the R plates down when he was driving because he was not an R driver and I wasn't in the car. However he wasn't doing over 45 or anything else that an R driver can't do.

I think the policeman might have got it wrong because I remember when I was doing lessons my instructor told me it was ok for my da to drive around with my L plates up, the same way its ok for driving instructors to drive around with L plates when there going to pick up a learner or when their just using their car their self?

Was the cop wrong?

Puckoon

From memory, the policeman was right. Im open to correction however.

Puckoon

Quote from: rolloutking on August 14, 2008, 02:42:32 AM
If so, how come?

Probably because if your dad is goin along at say 55 mph, with the plates on, then they'd be forced to pull him over, thinking that its an R plated driver - and thus wasting valuable PSNI time.

So even when he was going 45, the copper probably has a bee in his bonnet about that particular motoring offence and your old man got unlucky.

downgirl

Its because the R plates are showing the car is restricted rather than the driver; so even if you are off the R plates but are driving a car with them on you are supposed to stick to the 45mph.  Very strange rule really.

Down Gael

Quote from: downgirl on August 14, 2008, 08:38:30 PM
Its because the R plates are showing the car is restricted rather than the driver; so even if you are off the R plates but are driving a car with them on you are supposed to stick to the 45mph.  Very strange rule really.

But the car isnt restricted its the driver.
Surely some common sense could have been shown here, or is that too much to ask from any civil servant?

stephenite

Quote from: Down Gael on August 14, 2008, 10:29:01 PM
Quote from: downgirl on August 14, 2008, 08:38:30 PM

But the car isnt restricted its the driver.
Surely some common sense could have been shown here, or is that too much to ask from any civil servant?

The car is restricted if it's showing the plates - I'd also say if he was involved in an accident whilst driving with the incorrect plates the small print on the insurance policy would result in him getting shafted by the insurance company. This is because the company can say other drivers were more careful thinking it was a restricted dirver even if he wasn't breaking the speed limit or flouting any other road laws.

If you have a full licence and are driving a car with restricted/provisional/learner plates you are breaking the law.

Aerlik

The peeler is correct.  That rule has been around since well before I started driving.  Several moons ago.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Jaysus I hate R plates. Ridiculous idea.

Sorry that's not strictly relevant to the matter in hand but I thought I needed to get it off my chest.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

rosnarun

is that the rule down south with the 'L' plates more important now with the new  Provisional licence rule implementation
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lazer

I thought as long as you werent breaking the rules of R-plates then it was ok?

I remember being told the car is restricted?
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Lazer

Per the DVLNI

"R' Plate Rules
After passing the driving test for a motor car or motorcycle, you must display amber 'R' plates for a period of one year from the date of passing the test.

The plates MUST conform to legal specifications and MUST be clearly visible to others from in front of the vehicle and from behind. Plates should be removed or covered when not being driven by a restricted driver.

The maximum permitted speed for any vehicle displaying R plates is 45 mph, irrespective of whether or not the vehicle is being driven by a restricted driver"

Therefore by the sounds of this they should be removed but not MUST be removed
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)