Another cracker from Barry 'Radar' McElduff

Started by MW, July 30, 2008, 11:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Radar's at it again today according to today's News Letter. ("McElduff has lost grip on reality - UUP MLA")

Apparently he's written to TDs and Senators about how they refer to the Republic of Ireland.

He said calling Ireland "this country", "this nation", "the Republic", "the South" or "this country of four million people" were all wrong and "offensive" because they infer separation between north and south and forget about "the other six counties" and "those here who continue to asset our national identity". He asked southern politicians to only talk of the (Irish) State or the 26 counties 

Further down the report...

"Very often they (TDs and senators) use language carelessly. They describe the 26 counties as Ireland, as if the six counties of the north did not constitute Ireland....Even in the EU, I hear people talk about Ireland and Northern Ireland. Sometimes they talk about the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland...in an incredulous manner - as if the border does not exist 

Leaving aside for a moment the hilarity of yet another "campaign" from McElduff, a few points:

- He'll need to campaign for the Irish constitution to be changed, as it sets the name of the state as Ireland: "The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland."
- He'll want "Ireland" dropped from his passport then? And replaced with "the State" or "26 counties"
- Call it "the State" but not "the Republic" - the state is a republic, and its official description as laid down in Irish law is the Republic of Ireland
- "the South" is offensive too? Probably the most regular users of this, and "the North" are the Shinners
- He'll need to write to his own party about the use of 'Ireland' - http://www.sinnfein.ie/pdf/PostLisbo...inalLowRes.pdf
http://www.sinnfein.ie/news/detail/28063

Funny thing is, I can see where northern nationalists/republicans wouldn't like the "26 county state" being called Ireland. But then again, this seems to be find of traded off against seeing "Ireland" on passports and referring to "the President of Ireland" and sort of pretending the "Ireland" in question is the island of Ireland, rather than the state.

Still nice to see Barry keeping himself busy over the summer with such useful work ;D

Yes I Would

And who said MLA'S dont earn their money!!

Donagh

Considering the Newsletter lifted the article from another paper, I'd say Barry at least deserves credit for effort and originality.

MW

Quote from: Donagh on July 30, 2008, 11:54:34 PM
Considering the Newsletter lifted the article from another paper, I'd say Barry at least deserves credit for effort and originality.

Well that wouldn't be like the News Letter.

At least he's being (unintentionally) amusing, unlike Iris's...but still, were I a republican, I think I'd be unimpressed with his 'campaigns'...

MW

Quote from: Yes I Would on July 30, 2008, 11:47:18 PM
And who said MLA'S dont earn their money!!

Hmm well most of the population of NI...maybe all bar 108? ;D

Donagh

Quote from: MW on July 30, 2008, 11:42:25 PM
- He'll want "Ireland" dropped from his passport then? And replaced with "the State" or "26 counties"

Why? An Irish passport signifies the holder was born in one of the 32 counties - mine says I'm Irish by the grace of being born in "Ard Mhacha".

gerry

hear it on talkback yesterday when he give the interview.

his point was that td's and the government referred to the north as a different country when in fact it is a part of our one country.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Zapatista

From here on in I will refer to the north east of Ireland as 'Ireland' and to the reast of the country as The Republic or the south. ;)

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Chrisowc

Quote from: Zapatista on July 31, 2008, 08:19:55 AM
From here on in I will refer to the north east of Ireland as 'Ireland' and to the reast of the country as The Republic or the south. ;)

Just like it should be with the football too ;)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Rossfan

Quote from: Chrisowc on July 31, 2008, 12:24:02 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 31, 2008, 08:19:55 AM

Just like it should be with the football too ;)

Surely you mean Soccer ? ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

MW

Quote from: Donagh on July 31, 2008, 12:04:53 AM
Quote from: MW on July 30, 2008, 11:42:25 PM

Why? An Irish passport signifies the holder was born in one of the 32 counties - mine says I'm Irish by the grace of being born in "Ard Mhacha".

The front of the passport contains the name of the State - that's why it says Ireland. Radar has a problem with the State being called Ireland.

Do you have an issue with the "26 county state" being called Ireland, BTW?

MW

Quote from: gerry on July 31, 2008, 12:32:03 AM
hear it on talkback yesterday when he give the interview.

his point was that td's and the government referred to the north as a different country when in fact it is a part of our one country.

And your definition of a country is...?

Main Street

Something that can't be voted out of existence and is a member of the UN ::)

I don't know what McElduff's problem is.
I'd use Ireland for the 26 Counties and Ireland for the 32 Counties
and 6 Counties or the North if talking about that partitioned area of Ulster.

Sentiment is strongest ingredient for defining what makes a country.