GAA/RTE renege on Promise to Televise Ring and Rackard Cups

Started by Saffron exile, July 30, 2008, 12:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scalder

You can blame RTÉ but the reality is that if the GAA valued this coverage it should have been specified in the new TV contract that they were to be covered, if they were left out, as seems to be the case, it shows what those at the top really think – Mr Brennan take a bow! RTÉ would have shown these games if they had been asked to I'm sure as they received a great deal compared to the figure on offer from Setanta.

Mentalman

Quote from: scalder on July 30, 2008, 12:02:46 PM
You can blame RTÉ but the reality is that if the GAA valued this coverage it should have been specified in the new TV contract that they were to be covered, if they were left out, as seems to be the case, it shows what those at the top really think – Mr Brennan take a bow! RTÉ would have shown these games if they had been asked to I'm sure as they received a great deal compared to the figure on offer from Setanta.

True. RTE were hardly going to cover it as a standalone game. If it had been part of the undercard to a Hurling semi, as promised, then no problem. The only people in the frame for this decision are the GAA hierarchy. From a personal point of view it's a real shame. I think the Down hurling contingent on here would agree, even though they lost in some controversial circumstances, the first year of the Christy Ring was brilliant. Our game, which we all thought was competitive, then followed by the real deal between Clare and Cork - a brilliant day out for hurling fans.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Mentalman on July 30, 2008, 12:07:34 PM
Quote from: scalder on July 30, 2008, 12:02:46 PM

True. RTE were hardly going to cover it as a standalone game. If it had been part of the undercard to a Hurling semi, as promised, then no problem. The only people in the frame for this decision are the GAA hierarchy. From a personal point of view it's a real shame. I think the Down hurling contingent on here would agree, even though they lost in some controversial circumstances, the first year of the Christy Ring was brilliant. Our game, which we all thought was competitive, then followed by the real deal between Clare and Cork - a brilliant day out for hurling fans.

And last year, even tough it was shoved back to 12 o'clock, we got Kilkenny Wexford (even if it was a mismatch) and the Cork Waterford replay, great days action...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Saffron exile

Rackard Final will be streamed live on RTE.ie at 12 noon on Sunday. TM Cup on Suat also. Better than nothing I suppose. No word on Ring Cup.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thewobbler on July 30, 2008, 08:42:06 AM
Can I be the first to state well done to the GAA/RTE on their decisions.

Apart from 3 or 4 people on this thread and a couple of dozen players from the respective counties, I don't think anyone in the country would notice (or care about) this change.

some Gael you are !
::)

Galforever

QuoteWould TV3 show these games or is there some aggreement between RTE and TV3 not to show GAA gtames at the same time?

They dont show games at the same time  ???

neilthemac

RTE showed two GAA games at the same time a few years back

or am i really losing it?