Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo '08

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 27, 2008, 06:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

This is Liam Horans column from this weeks Telegraph.

Signs of progression needed     
Jul 29 2008

IF we're genuinely serious about progressing as a football county right now, we will look to the weekend clash with Tyrone for signs of evolution - not just a victory. Already, we have to throw an eye on next season, and blood a new player or two, because no matter what happens over the next few weeks, there simply must be a new momentum about Mayo next season.
The rebuilding phase has been delayed for far too long. By now, I'm sure you've heard the figure: of the 20 players who saw duty for Mayo in this month's Connacht final clash with Galway, 14 played some part in the 2006 All-Ireland football final. Given the disastrous outcome of the 2006 final, and the fact that it came in the aftermath of conclusive defeats by Kerry in 2004 and 2005, that's an altogether too slow a rate of turnover, and, almost incredibly, it means that it will be 2009 before the rebuild starts in earnest.

The unfortunate reality for Mayo is that the list of possible newcomers is shorter now than it was this time last year. Major surgery is needed in defence, but there's not a great deal that can be done with the players at John O'Mahony's disposal.
Two changes are required in the full-back line, which is likely to lead to Peadar Gardiner and Aidan Higgins coming in, and some sort of reshuffle taking place with either James Nallen or David Heaney dropping back to the full-back line.
Up front, the full-forward line will also need some tweaking. Aidan Kilcoyne will almost certainly be given his head. Even though he scored 1-1 against Galway, he also missed a match-winning goal opportunity. His exaggerated celebrations after scoring the first goal - at a time when the game was in the melting-pot - had a bit too much of the Waterford hurlers about them, but he remains the Mayo attacker with the most penetration. There is a directness about Kilcoyne that this Mayo forwardline badly needs.
Tyrone have been limping along this season. Failure to beat Down in a replay would suggest they have fallen down the pecking order, and, in my opinion, that remains the case. Westmeath are a difficult side to beat, but - as they showed against Dublin and again on Saturday last - they struggle to land the scores to turn tight games into victories.
Yet, had Damien Healy and Doran Harte been streetwise enough not to get sent off on Saturday (with Brian Dooher's amateur dramatics ensuring the referee was in no danger whatsoever of missing the incidents) Westmeath might have pushed on for victory.
Sean Cavanagh at full-forward could prove a real handful, though, if he's passed fit to play. Against Westmeath, they were forced to pull him out the field, but if they break even around the middle, and can afford to leave Cavanagh inside, he will ask huge questions of the Mayo defence.
There is also the prospect of Eoin Mulligan returning to the starting line-up for Tyrone, which could also prove worrying for Mayo.
The Connacht final saw the worst and the best of Mayo. The best came - like in the Dublin clash two years ago - when the whole thing was as good as lost. 
Unburdened by expectation, they threw caution to the wind and created a fury: in the tumult, they came roaring back into the game.
But then, when deftness of touch and precision were needed, Mayo were unable to supply. Kilcoyne missed his goal. At the other end, Galway stayed calm and picked off the winning scores. When one last chance presented itself to draw the game, the wrong free-taker faced up to it. On such small things do games - and championships - turn.
The camp has been extremely quiet since the Connacht final. This week we look forward to a low-key Mayo week. We look forward to players keeping their heads down. Some newspaper interviews in the run-up to the Connacht final were painfully self-indulgent, and not the kind of stuff you expect from an O'Mahony camp.
Signs that a tighter rein is being kept on the squad in the last few weeks must be welcomed - if they are true. The showdown with Tyrone won't reveal everything, but if it throws up some indication of the new momentum we speak about, it will be a good day's work. If not, we're back to square one.

Must say I ve problems with the begining of this article. Rebuilding has been ongoing these last 2 years and even championship matches being used for experimentation. Whether the rebuilding has been a success I m sure we all have different opinions. How far along we ll be this time next year is anybody s guess. We could have a team of kids by then. If we draw Galway in the first round our Connacht CH could be over in May and who would fancy a long summer after that.

kevmy

Not sure where the pessimism regarding the underage teams coming through. Did we not win an U21 a couple of years ago and had a final appearance a couple of years before that. Now that means there is some fantastic talent coming through. Now whether they can come through and whether we can make the best of them are two different things. IMO we are too big a county and have too much football in us to not win an AI at some stage. Although I can see how some of the older lads are losing faith.

As regards the weekend I'm going to keep quite enough until I see a team named, I've said enough times what I want to see named. It'd be great news if McGarrity and Trev could play.

Lar Naparka

QuoteThere s no doubt about it but I m well disillusioned at this stage. Like Deel Rover I feel maybe our best shot at it is gone. There are some very good players coming through as I ve already mentioned but experience clearly shows that we dont make the best of our playing resources and I wont be holding my breath.

I can go back, vaguely, to the days of John Morley and Jinking Joe Corcoran so I have had an awful lot more dinnertimes than dinners along the way!
I don't ever give up hope, sooner or later if we keep on trying, Sam will be wearing green and red ribbons. In recent times, both '04 and '06, we started the season off with damage limitation in mind and only faltered at the final hurdle. Armagh and Tyrone fans can list a litany of disasters and disappointments before making their respective breakthroughs.
But it really is getting harder. The backdoor has seen to it that there will be a lot more competitive teams around in any year. This year alone, Kerry, Cork, Dublin, Tyrone, Armagh and Monaghan would be considered serious contenders. Mayo and Galway shouldn't be discounted either.
For far too long the winners of Munster and their counterparts in Leinster were the only ones with a realistic chance of going the whole way on any sort of regular basis.
My major reason for holding out hope is that lads like Campbell, Kilcoyne, Parsons and a long list of others have had All Ireland success at u21 level. I'd hope that the feeling of being on a winning team will stand to them.
Like Liam Hayes said of the Connacht final, this is a game where leaders can come of age. Maybe some of the above names will oblige on Saturday.
I've been lighting holy candles for so long I'd be at a loose end if I have to stop anytime soon. :P
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Fear ón Srath Bán

We'd a two week break before the same assignment in '04, not that that did us any good; and I don't believe Johnno has ever beaten Tyrone in the Championship... that's not to say there won't be a first time, of course  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Farrandeelin

Just as well I didn't read O'Neills poem, Deel Rover. How the hell could I be confused as a Sligo man?? :o
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

Horan's article is odd. Johnno's shipped some belts on this board for doing too much rebuilding and now Horan's damning him for not doing enough? I don't know. They need to name the team so we can ponder that. The waiting is getting to me - Saturday can't roll around quickly enough. It'll be a good day for men to stand up and be counted - whether they're Yew Trees or Red Hands that do it will probably decide the day.

moysider

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 30, 2008, 07:59:50 PM
We'd a two week break before the same assignment in '04, not that that did us any good; and I don't believe Johnno has ever beaten Tyrone in the Championship... that's not to say there won't be a first time, of course  ;)

Did nt Johnno beat Tyrone in 89. Last Century i know but it should count.

moysider

There seems to be a lot of speculation that Tom Cunniffe is to be full-back. Cant see it myself but some of the local hacks have it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: moysider on July 30, 2008, 09:43:46 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 30, 2008, 07:59:50 PM

Did nt Johnno beat Tyrone in 89. Last Century i know but it should count.

Fair point moysider, had forgotten that his management career had stretched back that far, and that it had begun at county level with his native county. We'll just pretend you're Galway then, that should do the trick  ;)

ONeill

Will Mickey name a surprise or two tomorrow? Gourley in attack again!

The wide open spaces of Croker could be to Penrose and McCullagh's liking. Sean and McGuigan is also Croker players.

Defensively I cannot see changes.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

furboot

10 Reasons why Mayo must win on Saturday...
1 - THE MANAGER - why ? he has done it before and world knows it's time for him to produce a big performance
2 - THE TEAM - why ? Mayo are still a top table team (but lord spare us from the 'not just here to make up the numbers' mullarky!)
3 - THE SUPPORTERS - why ? The 16th man and we can't take any more bodyblows!
4 - GALWAY - why? - pure motivation for another crack at them (after losing to them woulnd't it be sweet to knock them out - in fact that could be no. 1 motivation)
5 - KERRY - why ? even purer motivation than in no. 4 - need i say more?
6 - JAMES NALLEN - why ? jeez anyone that's put in so much for so many years deserves it - the fairytale ending!!!!
7 - THE ECONOMY STUPID - why ? things are getting very tight so let's do it now while we can still afford to celebrate !!!
8 - THE ONLY WAY IS UP - why ? well as pointed out by Messrs. Trapatoni and Brady at Croagh Patrick last week http://www.independent.ie/national-news/trapattoni-gets-stick-as-he-joins-the-pilgrims-on-croagh-patrick-1439739.html?start=2 - surely a sign from above!!!
9 - CROKE PARK - why ? lot's of space for a running team like Mayo
10 - THE WEATHER - why ? because we are bored to death talking about it but Mayo win and we son't notice it any more!!

any more ?  serious ones ? humerous ones ? all you geniuses with a turn of phrase or twisted minds ....

backofthenet

i have a feeling mayo will pull it out of the fire on saturday. build up is really low key, expectation is not high. im sure johnno will have his troops fired up for this one. dont forget that the majority of this mayo team have big game experience in croke park, i know they have bad memories of finals but they have won plenty of quarter finals and semi finals.

Fear ón Srath Bán

And 10 Reasons why Tyrone can't lose on Saturday*...

1 - THE MANAGER - Despite all he has done, the knockers are knocking, and he must once again condemn them to their humble pie
2 - THE TEAM - For the first time in 3 years, the team is (almost) clear of injuries, a veritable luxury!
3 - THE SUPPORTERS - For the faithful who stayed true, through thick and thin, and who'll be there again
4 - ARMAGH - Despite the very real possibility of having to listen to another 1,000,000 5 years of whinging about some one decision or another during their defeat, 'twould be great to get another lash at them
5 - DERRY - Just because...
6 - KERRY - We might be the only team to stop them.
7 - UNIONISTS - Apparently we don't have enough GAA flags up, and they like those, especially those that resemble the Irish Tricolour
8 - BRIAN DOOHER - Perhaps the last year for Captain Fantastic
9 - CROKE PARK - We like the plains of Croke, plenty of room to spray that ball about
10 - MAYO - Enough already, no more 'bogie' team

* With acknowledgements to furboot  ;)

furboot

wheyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee  Fear ón Srath Bán - good response - score must be Mayo 1 point Tyrone 1 point

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on July 30, 2008, 10:40:58 PM
Will Mickey name a surprise or two tomorrow? Gourley in attack again!

The wide open spaces of Croker could be to Penrose and McCullagh's liking. Sean and McGuigan is also Croker players.

Defensively I cannot see changes.

I ll say it again. If Mayo dont play a forward as a covering sweeper or whatever we may as well forget about it. Not doing so has killed us since Colm Mac was retired but of course most people did nt realise what he was doing anyway including his manager. Jesus wept. We have struggled badly to replace the unbelievable workrate he gave us. Colm mac was propably our most important player of the Maughan era and it happened by accident rather than design but he was a great shield. But management had nt the tactical nous to adapt the shape of the team to this unexpected and misunderstood gift that was bestowed on them and he often ended up taking flak. Playing Sheridan meant they were light up front on hard ball winners and they choose to leave the 11 slot vacant which was unbelievable. Heaney, T Mort or Billy Joe have to do this job on Saturday. If we dont do this we may as well stay in bed.