TomTom/Sat Nav

Started by southdown, July 27, 2008, 12:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

I am in need of a sat nav system that will work in all parts of Ireland and Great Britain.  I have heard the TomToms are fairly good.  Im not looking to spend an awful lot of money (somewhere in the region of £100 or so).  If anyone has one who could pass on some tips of which models are good etc it would be appreciated.

downgirl

My dad got a TomTom there a few months ago, can't remember the exact cost but I think it was over £200, the maps were really out of date, he came down to help me move some of my stuff out of my apartment in Cork and it didn't have the flyover on the  south ring road on it at all and it has been there for about 4 or 5 years (the sat nav covered UK and Ireland); he went onto the website about updating the maps and they were going to charge him £60 for updating them even though they were 5 years out of date and he bought it brand new.  So he brought it back and got a Garmin that covers UK, Ireland and Europe and he is really pleased with it, the only road they don't have on it is the new one they are building up to Newry.  He got me the Garmin nuvi 200, which covers UK and Ireland, used it for the first time there going to Omagh for the match and it is great.  I'm not sure how much it cost, maybe about £100?  He got them in Halfords anyway they usually have good deals on satnavs.  I don't really know because I'm spoilt rotten and got it as a present! There is only one thing I can fault it for, and that is when coming home Newry, rather than taking me through the city and out the main road to Mayobridge it takes me through all the narrow backroads through Ballyholland and all and brought me out just at the road beside Macs tiles!!  But to be honest it is great, and Garmin have a lot of experience with this kind of thing because they have been doing GPS for boats for years.  Hope that helps a bit southdown!

southdown

Cheers for that, Iv never heard of Garmin but I will look into them too. Have my eye on a TomTom ONE V3 GB Explorer which apparently does UK and Ireland but I really havent got a clue!

southdown

Downgirl, looking at thae Nuvi200 now on Halfords website, £90.  Does it definitely work in the UK?  Are they easy to install into your car?

downgirl

Yea it comes with a suction thingy you put on your windscreen that you can take on and off as you wish, runs off an adaptor you put in the cigarette lighter but I think you can get mains chargers and stuff for it separate.  My dad brought his to somewhere and got the lead tucked in behind the dashboard but I just have mine the way it is and it doesn't get in the way.  By the way I think I have the widescreen version, (nuvi 200W).  And yes it is UK and Ireland, just went out and double checked typed in Glasgow and it showed my route from here and mapping seems perfect in Scotland too...even showed where to get ferry across and its route.   :D

J70

I've used Garmin a bit in the states and they're excellent.

Leg End

i won one at the golf and dont need it. Unopened unused 2 year warrant .
Its the Garmin Nuvi 250
would save me selling it on ebay
we're here for a good time, not a long time

downgirl

For southdown: The Nuvi 250 is one my dad has, covers UK, Ireland and Europe. 

Leg End

yep pre installed uk and ireland and 21 european countries
pre-loaded point of interests and parking locations
detailed speed camera alerts
3.5" (8.9cm) colour touch screen

we're here for a good time, not a long time

The Real Laoislad

I also have the TOM TOM ONE XL and have no problems with it
You'll Never Walk Alone.

An Fear Rua

Ive asked this question to a few dub taxi drivers and they all recommegthe Garmin over the tom tom.
Its Grim up North

downgirl

Garmin is far superior go for Garmin...come on southdown trust a down girl  ;)

downgirl

Ah hardstation you are always picking on me  :'(

balladmaker

Garmin Nuvi 250 is the way to go....get the Ireland, U.K. and Europe version though for the sake of an extra £20 or so.

southdown

Think Ill go for the Garmin, good deals on the Halfords website, thanks for all your help. :)