The Dark Knight *** Warning, Spoilers included***

Started by Cumah!, July 25, 2008, 01:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

20leg-end08

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 30, 2008, 07:22:58 PM
Also the JOker gave two acounts of how he got the scars? Which is true?

apparently their both lies because it's him displaying the characteristics of a psychopath by being a pathological liar.
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me

Jimbobjnr

Great film, I've actually seen it twice now which makes a big difference seeing it is over 150mins long. Strange thing about it iss that it's a Batman movie, but everyone went to see the joker, and the point of the film ends up being about Harvey Dent/Two Face. They squeezed alot into it.

Ledger is great as the Joker, theres not really much debate about that and he will definitely get an oscar nomination and who knows he will probably win it seeing how sentimental the judges have been before. I can't see anybody else take up the role for a very long time if ever.

Bale is a terrible batman though. His voice like some sort of Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry thing gets annoying and just sounds stupid. Not a bad Bruce Wayne in saying that. For me Michael Keaton has been by far the best batman.

I heard a couple of points mentioned in one review which i realised are exactly right - Gary Oldman gives the best performance as Gordon, and there was on too many "moral dilemma". Reminded me of Jigsaw in the Saw films.

Despite those minor criticism's i had of it, its easily the best comic book film ever made and the best film ive seen in the cinema for a long long time. Great to see the Nolan's do justice to the comics. Anyone else notice its number 1 on IMDB ousting the Godfather from top spot!? For me its 8/10.

20leg-end08

Quote from: Jimbobjnr on July 31, 2008, 02:31:46 AM
Bale is a terrible batman though. His voice like some sort of Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry thing gets annoying and just sounds stupid. Not a bad Bruce Wayne in saying that. For me Michael Keaton has been by far the best batman.

Anyone else notice its number 1 on IMDB ousting the Godfather from top spot!? For me its 8/10.

Bale is a brilliant Batman. I know the voice is annoying but it has to be done or else everyone would just figure out it was him.

Nd yes I noticed its number 1 on IMDB!but it's been dropping down a little bit from last wk. Checked earlier on and its 9.3 but it was 9.5 a couple of days ago so I think it will fall below the Godfather and Shawshank but will stay in the top 5.
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me

Bod Mor

Quote from: 20leg-end08 on July 31, 2008, 02:40:56 AM
Nd yes I noticed its number 1 on IMDB!but it's been dropping down a little bit from last wk. Checked earlier on and its 9.3 but it was 9.5 a couple of days ago so I think it will fall below the Godfather and Shawshank but will stay in the top 5.

It's barely in the top 5 batman movies made, never mind the top 5 movies of all time. The plot is brutal. If it had a decent plot I'd agree with you.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Zapatista

Bale is a brilliiant Batman. He has to do the different voice (although it did annoy me a little) as Batman is Batman and Bruce Wayne is Bruce Wayne. The point was to show that Batman and the Joker (with a his strange voice) are different than their 'real life caracters'.

I would love to see another Joker and find out where he came from and how he got his scars. We know how Batman became Batman and how Harvey Dent became Two Face but the Joker is stiil not explained.

Ledger was fantastic. The Joker was completely insane but he was in complete control of everything he did and he had a reason for doing it.

I don't know about this oscar stuff. There are many people saying to me that he deserves an oscar. These same people never picked an oscar winner before and are not likely to again. My house mate said "Ledger should win an Oscar he was unreal at playing the joker", in all my years knowing him he has never said this before. I wonder why he suddenly started picking winners? For some reason they seem convinced he should win one. There is talk of it everywhere. I have never seen so many people pick a winner before. I think it has been tainted at this stage and it is more emotional than anthing else. I can't speak for the academy but I know most of my friends can't even remember who won Oscars over the past few years but are suddenly experts.

An Fear Rua

going against the grain here, I saw it last night, and while I thought it was good, I wasnt blown away by it. Ledger was excellent as has already been stated, but it was too long IMHO, I found bits of it unnecesary , will def watch again, as Im suer it has more to give, Although I think I preferred the last one  :o
Its Grim up North

Our Nail Loney

Yeah I think there is far too much hype about the oscar from people who wouldnt have a clue about them!

Watched batman begins there last night for the first time, it was very good as well.

Puckoon

Wasnt overly excited with the movie at all, despite being very excited to go and see it.

Plot = average, with as someone says a little over elaboration on the moral dilemmas
Bale = great batman, great bruce wayne
Leger= Superb final curtain as the joker - great to watch, if a little disturbing at times
Gyllenhal= Had no quams about seeing her get her cummupence - she definitely isnt the prettiest, but she looks saucy enough.

The dark knight isnt as good a movie as batman begins.

SLIGONIAN

Was slightly disappointed with this movie, loved batman begins and the joker was brilliantly played by ledger in this movie. Think bale is a good batman aswell and he is also the new john connor in terminator salvation.

Im not one for plotlines being 100% accurate but the whole harvey dent changing from good to bad based on the fact that batman saved him instead of rachel was absolute bullshit considering the joker tricked batman into thinking he was saving her but in fact it was dent. Batman never said anything to dent about the joker lying about the address. Major blunder on the filmmakers part IMO.

Everything else was awesome.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Our Nail Loney

Watched The Prestige again there last night, gets better every time. Really recommend anyone who liked either of nolans batman films to watch it, you will love it

An Fear Rua

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 06, 2008, 08:05:47 PM
Watched The Prestige again there last night, gets better every time. Really recommend anyone who liked either of nolans batman films to watch it, you will love it

yep , excellent show
Its Grim up North

Orior

I saw Dark Knight last night and thought it was brilliant. I liked the leading lady too - she reminded me of a girl i once knew from outside Newry, called Posie.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tyssam5

Quote from: screenexile on July 25, 2008, 02:04:21 PM
Ledger was outstanding. The thing where he kept licking the side of his lip creeped me completely out. My only complaint was that the leading lady wasn't a big enough star/good enough looker for my tastes. Not a big Maggie Gyllenall fan and is you look over the previous Batman ladies they're all crackers...

Kim Basinger
Michelle Pfeiffer
Nicole Kidman
Katie Holmes

I think Pamela Anderson would make a good Batman leading Lady  :o :o

You'd have Katie Holmes above Maggie? No way, I have a big thing for her since I watched 'The Secretary'! Loves it.

thejuice

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 02, 2008, 11:18:37 PM
Was slightly disappointed with this movie, loved batman begins and the joker was brilliantly played by ledger in this movie. Think bale is a good batman aswell and he is also the new john connor in terminator salvation.

Im not one for plotlines being 100% accurate but the whole harvey dent changing from good to bad based on the fact that batman saved him instead of rachel was absolute bullshit considering the joker tricked batman into thinking he was saving her but in fact it was dent. Batman never said anything to dent about the joker lying about the address. Major blunder on the filmmakers part IMO.

Everything else was awesome.

I was thinking the same, you think batman would have bothered telling him. Saw it the other night. Heath Ledger is good, his joker character is great. Secondly why didnt the police and batman do a co-ordinated removal of Racheal and Dent, pretty obvious to me. Or better yet send in a bomb defusing squad. I know it sounds nerdy but c'mon it makes the police and batman look like idiots.

Never knew you could make pencils dissappear like that. BUt the rest of the film wasnt so interesting.  the voice Bale uses for batman didnt work for me. Cant say I gave a crap about Harvey Dent or what happened to him.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016