What Does Your Name Mean/That's not my name!

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 24, 2008, 11:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

brokencrossbar1

Refers to an accident I had at a priamry school challenge game against a school up near Inniskeen.  I was goalie and as was my want I caught the crossbar as the other team scored( i was a big awkward fecker then too and the goals were no regulation height).  Anyway the cross bar snapped and belted me staright in the gob.  My lip still cracks open in really cold weather just to remind me.

Our Nail Loney

Mine refers to the way one of our mates da's refers to his son Neil, he can't talk for shit!

So for any of those ones around lurgan who sometimes mistake me, I am not actually Our Nail!

ps illdecide thats shit!!

Dinny Breen

Took my name from my Grand-father, a legendary Westmeath footballer....
#newbridgeornowhere

rory

Hardy

I used to be Hardyarse The Fiddler. Then the brother announced that he was changing his name from Hardyarse The Farmer to Hardyarse The Homosexual and the family split on ideological  lines. The liberal, rights-affirming wing all showed their support by changing their names to Hardyarse The Hairdresser, Hardyarse The Goat-Fancier and the like. The other side went for over-compensation, distancing themselves from our ancient lineage with new handles like Bruce the Lumberjack and Harry the Hound Of Hell and so on.

I just decided to steer a middle ground and remove some of the emphasis on arses.

Skiddybadoo

Mine's a nickname of my father-in-law's workmate.

Lar Naparka

(Lár na páirce= midfield)
I was sitting beside an American military policeman watching a Railway Cup final, many years ago in the local pub. The games back then were broadcast as gaeilge.
Yer man wasn’t a sociable type of chap and just sat there eyes glued to the telly and getting steadily pissed.
The final whistle sounded and he turned to me and uttered his first comment since the game began.
“Look, I don’t understand that lingo and I have a clue about the rules but that Lar Napraka fella is one goddamn footballer.”  :D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

aontroim

Roseyland

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2008, 12:35:09 PM
Took my name from my Grand-father, a legendary Westmeath footballer....
My own grandfather played along side him

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

IolarCoisCuain

There's a song called Caoineadh Chill Cháis, or The Lament for Kilcash, and the second verse goes like this:

Ní cluinim fuaim lacha ná gé ann
Ná iolar ag éamh cois cuain

And that's where my handle comes from. This monobrowed buck from the Muppet Show across from me is an iolar himself, you know.

I'm Mayo myself, rather than Tipp, but I always liked the song so I went with that.

D4S

D4S is... Down for Sam as can be seen below

I picked it before we beat Tyrone as I thought we would win, and things would snowball from there.  There was a blip against Armagh but we're back on track! Dont know if Sam will be delivered though but we can only hope...maybe I should change it to Down4quarter finals or Down4croker considering we haven't played a championship game there since 1994!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

5 Sams

I joined the Board around 1999 (when football was invented) and I chose this name to annoy our neighbours....I hope to change it some day :-\ :-\

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 24, 2008, 12:47:41 PM
(Lár na páirce= midfield)
I was sitting beside an American military policeman watching a Railway Cup final, many years ago in the local pub. The games back then were broadcast as gaeilge.
Yer man wasn't a sociable type of chap and just sat there eyes glued to the telly and getting steadily pissed.
The final whistle sounded and he turned to me and uttered his first comment since the game began.
"Look, I don't understand that lingo and I have a clue about the rules but that Lar Napraka fella is one goddamn footballer."  :D

BTW Larnaparka...I had a similar conversation with a Yank in Falcarragh once......he told me that "Trá Beach" was the best one he had ever seen!!
The Aristocrat Years

Shamrock Shore

From a song covered by Horslips on their first album.