John Gardiners Oscar

Started by sligeach, July 21, 2008, 07:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligeach

Lads, I fecking hate this rubbish of diving. Its the most sickening shit in any sport. I hate it with a passion.

Is there any rule about feigning injury ? Can't video evidence be used ?

When I played and its not that long ago and I got knocked down I'd get straight back up without a second thought unless I actually wasn't able to. The thought of falling over like a drunk giraffe never ran through my mind when I played.

What can be done ?

Ash Smoker

I'm not sure how you can stamp it out.
Video evdience is no use, because you can hardly start suspending people afterwards can you?

Reillers

There were more then a few Galway players who threw their hate into the ring for an oscar as well. Not many players do it and they stll don't. It happened with Gardiner once, it happened with a few Galway players a couple of times, I can't remember who on but Ben O Connor's hurler touched the elbow of one of the Galway players and down he went like he was shot, Canning at another stage was as bad..etc. The list goes on. Lets not do a one sided thing. I saw Gardiner dive once, which was disgraceful and deserved a yellow, but I saw the Galway players do it a whole lot more.

cicfada

Quote from: Reillers on July 21, 2008, 10:43:33 AM
There were more then a few Galway players who threw their hate into the ring for an oscar as well. Not many players do it and they stll don't. It happened with Gardiner once, it happened with a few Galway players a couple of times, I can't remember who on but Ben O Connor's hurler touched the elbow of one of the Galway players and down he went like he was shot, Canning at another stage was as bad..etc. The list goes on. Lets not do a one sided thing. I saw Gardiner dive once, which was disgraceful and deserved a yellow, but I saw the Galway players do it a whole lot more.

fair play to Cork the better team won. galway had no balls and  did not stand up to them at all when asked the serious questions! as regards canning diving was it after the Diarmuid O'Sullivan  slap on his throat that he supposedly dived??Here watch this video and you tell me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_GbTGKKABs

orangeman

Diving is normally not associated with hurlers - it was one of those games where people were trying to gain any advanatage regardless of the lines they corssed in the process !

AZOffaly

Lads, the Cork ref in the Offaly Limerick game was the best I've seen for a while in letting play develop. Granted, a few times he should have whistled, but didn't. I'd still prefer that to a lad who whistles up every time, because that encourages lads to go to ground. In Limerick, after about 5 minutes, fellas knew they'd have to play until they heard they whistle, rather than going down expecting it.

That's what hurling is all about.

scalder

Cork certainly played to the edge and beyond on Saturday night, Sully was luck not to walk for that strike on Canning!

Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on July 21, 2008, 01:40:07 PM

fair play to Cork the better team won. galway had no balls and  did not stand up to them at all when asked the serious questions! as regards canning diving was it after the Diarmuid O'Sullivan  slap on his throat that he supposedly dived??Here watch this video and you tell me!
I never said he dived, I said he over reacted. Not the same thing.

blasmere

Quote from: Reillers on July 21, 2008, 02:13:22 PM

You might as well have done, you're as fickle as the wind. It's welcome to see more hurling posters on here, but a little bit of consistency in your opinions would be nice.

Joe Canning was awesome on Saturday night, I have never seen as good from a 19 year old. However, his team-mates need to develop a few leaders if they want to improve.

I can't recall the last time Galway beat Cork in a competitive game, they always seem to lose to them
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

GalwayBayBoy

I'd say if you got a slap of the hurl into the neck you'd be gasping for breath a little yourself.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: blasmere on July 21, 2008, 04:00:19 PM

You might as well have done, you're as fickle as the wind. It's welcome to see more hurling posters on here, but a little bit of consistency in your opinions would be nice.

Joe Canning was awesome on Saturday night, I have never seen as good from a 19 year old. However, his team-mates need to develop a few leaders if they want to improve.

I can't recall the last time Galway beat Cork in a competitive game, they always seem to lose to them

2002 in the championship. That's if you don't count the league as a competitive fixture.

blasmere

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 21, 2008, 04:07:35 PM
Quote from: blasmere on July 21, 2008, 04:00:19 PM

2002 in the championship. That's if you don't count the league as a competitive fixture.

I could only remember the finals, 86, 90 & 05.

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Bacon

It was a shocking dive IMO. He should have got a yellow card for it never mind the Oscar.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

youngfella

Seen this clip of gardiner before, I cant imagine the amount of abuse he got for it when he got home.

O'sullivan has a history of this kinda thing, pulling the popers of forwards helemts, you have to accept its just the way his made, dirty tr**p or hard man?

Of both videos gardiner should be shot for diving like that. O'Sullivan without the video replay woulda got away with it in a normal game as the ball was around that area.

He did of course go for canning his about 4 yards of cannings pace
Pull hard and early