Joe Canning

Started by sligeach, July 20, 2008, 07:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligeach

stiffler

Milkman is of the opinion that Joe Canning is the gonna be the greatest player ever to play the game!

Is he gonna dominate the sport for the next 10 years?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Galforever

Canning is class, no question. But I still wonder about his lack of pace. He is not the fastest player around so I hope that doesnt hold him back.

sligeach

Quote from: stiffler on July 20, 2008, 07:25:47 PM
Milkman is of the opinion that Joe Canning is the gonna be the greatest player ever to play the game!

Is he gonna dominate the sport for the next 10 years?

Yes.

sligeach

Quote from: Galforever on July 20, 2008, 07:29:16 PM
Canning is class, no question. But I still wonder about his lack of pace. He is not the fastest player around so I hope that doesnt hold him back.

He plays like that with no pace ?

GalwayBayBoy

Didn't hold him back yesterday in fairness.

I've been saying for ages that he is faster than he looks. He's no pace merchant but he's 6 foot 2 (and still growing) and has a long stride that covers the ground.

Almost unique to have his blend of stickwork, vision and physical strength.

Just a pity most people won't see him in action again until next year. :-[

Galforever

QuoteI've been saying for ages that he is faster than he looks. He's no pace merchant but he's 6 foot 2 (and still growing) and has a long stride that covers the ground.

True, He does have a big stride. But if he was racing Damien Hayes, I'd still back Hayes.

But Joe Cooney wasnt the fastest either.

didlyi

He is the reason Loughnane will be slow in resigining. How could you leave a team with him on board unless of course you are pushed. I would worry slightly about keeping his weight down when he reaches mid 20's and may peak in his career in the next few years.

orangeman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 20, 2008, 07:33:46 PM

Didn't hold him back yesterday in fairness.

I've been saying for ages that he is faster than he looks. He's no pace merchant but he's 6 foot 2 (and still growing) and has a long stride that covers the ground.

Almost unique to have his blend of stickwork, vision and physical strength.

Just a pity most people won't see him in action again until next year. :-[

Henry Shefflin when he was in his teens was quite pudgey - so if he turns out like Henry he'll be ok.

Reillers

Canning is a very, very good player. He carried Galway all on his own and almost won the game for them on his own. He was almost expected to. It was a one man team. He is a very good strong player with bundles of potential. He is very like Santy when he came onto the scene. But Canning has very little pace. I think, now don't get me wrong he was and is fanastic, I just don't think he's as good as he's made out to be. I think he's hyped up a bit too much. Brilliant, brilliant player but I wouldn't say he's the best player we'll ever or have all ready seen .

INDIANA

setanta wouldn't hold a candle to Joe reillers, i've been watching hurling for decades now- Joe Canning is the best prospect i've ever seen (and i don't say that lightly) - and i've seen most of them. If he was from Cork you'd be saying the same.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on July 20, 2008, 09:13:47 PM
setanta wouldn't hold a candle to Joe reillers, i've been watching hurling for decades now- Joe Canning is the best prospect i've ever seen (and i don't say that lightly) - and i've seen most of them. If he was from Cork you'd be saying the same.

Agree with you 100% Indiana - I reckon he's the best prospect there has been for years - those sideline cuts are outrageous - his single handed display against Cork was outstanding - they didn't want to keep the Rock on him for fear of what Canning would do to him ! When did Cork last adopt this tactic ?

Reillers

No I mean hype wise very like Santy. He's one of the best prospects definitely but people are saying he's the best they've seen in 30 years. That's getting a bit too carried away.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on July 20, 2008, 09:15:58 PM
No I mean hype wise very like Santy. He's one of the best prospects definitely but people are saying he's the best they've seen in 30 years. That's getting a bit too carried away.

He can be one of the best - who was the best as past 30 years ??? This is a question that cannot be answered - 30 years is too long a span !

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on July 20, 2008, 09:20:18 PM
Quote from: Reillers on July 20, 2008, 09:15:58 PM

He can be one of the best - who was the best as past 30 years ??? This is a question that cannot be answered - 30 years is too long a span !

That's what I'm saying people are saying stuff like that, like he's the best the sport has ever seen and such. He's a very good player but I think people are getting a little carried away.