The axles of evil

Started by JBM on the 21, July 19, 2008, 08:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBM on the 21

Just finished listening  to a RTE Radio documentary on SUVs in Ireland. Jeezus, where were those people got? It mainly spoke to young couples in South Dublin. Unreal - they all justified their SUVs - all aware of how status meant to them ' we can be recognized by our tribe!! "- all those SUVs seem to cost over 100 K from listening to the wifes - can that money be attained in Ireland? .  Every time I go home to West Cork, people I know are are not like that -  Is this show a true representative of modern Ireland - I would like to think not, bit if it is, then god help us all.
I have been living in the States for the last 10 years and was thinking of moving home. After listening to that, I think I have changed my mind.

J70

"we can be recognized by our tribe!!"

WTF does that mean? ???

J70

Anyone who needs a car as a status symbol must have something missing from their life.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2008, 09:08:45 PM
Anyone who needs a car as a status symbol must have something missing from their life.

It's just the same as people having houses they can't afford, ridiculously sized weddings etc etc - there seems to be an awful lot of it around.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

imtommygunn

It's south dublin though. That wouldn't reflect "modern ireland". It would reflect the richer people in ireland.

You get that anywhere.

mannix

I think dublin is a bit of a joke to be honest, a lot of fake tanned eejits with the sunglasses sitting on the heads. Real ireland has its share of "new money" but they mostly keep low profiles and the ones that show their wealth usually lose it pretty soon,i.e  people that sold land to developers etc.

stew

I drive a four year old Hyundai and it does me the best. A friend of mine from kilkenny was home recently and he cannot get over how much money everybody has over there, he said that if he had never left Ireland in 1996 he would probably be a millionaire over there based on his trade.

I am stuck in the states for good now, the daughters will be here for good now I would imagine so if they are going to be Stateside we may as well stay here as well. I have a few acres of land in the north that we are talking about putting a wee house on when we can afford to do so, probably by the time I am fifty and the wife has twenty acres of land just off the newry/point dual carriageway, we plan to spend a month a year at home when we hit fifty but I couldnt afford to live there now at the moment.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Shamrock Shore

I live in 'Site Dublin' and it pisses me off to see so many Yummy Mummies in these feckin tanks. Esp the wans that can't drive the shaggin things.

Come the revolution Comrade Shamrock Shore will deal efficiently with this scourge on our planet.

mannix

The fake accents is the most annoying thing, "red ky rindabite" and the like.And the amazing thing is its really a sprat of a place once you have ventured into the world outside.

Bogball XV

Quote from: stew on July 19, 2008, 10:30:18 PM
I drive a four year old Hyundai and it does me the best. A friend of mine from kilkenny was home recently and he cannot get over how much money everybody has over there, he said that if he had never left Ireland in 1996 he would probably be a millionaire over there based on his trade.

I am stuck in the states for good now, the daughters will be here for good now I would imagine so if they are going to be Stateside we may as well stay here as well. I have a few acres of land in the north that we are talking about putting a wee house on when we can afford to do so, probably by the time I am fifty and the wife has twenty acres of land just off the newry/point dual carriageway, we plan to spend a month a year at home when we hit fifty but I couldnt afford to live there now at the moment.

Is it not more difficult to live in the states when you get a bit older?  I have some relative in NY who are 60 odd and have to keep on working as they couldn't afford health insurance on their own - would the ideal scenario for you not be to move home when you hit your more advanced years (obviously if the daughter wouldn't move then it probably not be a runner).

Denn Forever

Don't worry about other people.  Do you go home often?  Has home changed for the better or worse?  I base your return on the answer to that question.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

his holiness nb

Quote from: mannix on July 19, 2008, 09:48:27 PM
I think dublin is a bit of a joke to be honest, a lot of fake tanned eejits with the sunglasses sitting on the heads.

Never been to the Northside eh Mannix ?
;)
Ask me holy bollix

The Iceman

theres no way we could ever move back to Ireland - I'd like to some day but can't see it happening.  We live in NJ, probably one of the most expensive states on the east coast and still couldn't afford to go back to armagh

went home for 2 weeks there in march - had about 900 sterling in an account and thought that would be more than enough spending money considering we were staying at my ma's house, got free meals and a car whenever we needed it  -my woman was pregnant so there was no drinking done - just a few feeds here and there.  I spent the 900 in 10 days - thats the equivalent of $1800 - I tell you I would have some 2 weeks over here for 1800
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

pintsofguinness

QuoteI spent the 900 in 10 days - thats the equivalent of $1800 - I tell you I would have some 2 weeks over here for 1800

you spent 900 quid in ten days?
90 quid day and you got free accomodation, free meals, weren't drinking much - would you mind telling us what, in the name of Jesus, you spent 90 quid a day on?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Ash Smoker

A lot of those Terenure Tanks will be repossessed if the economy gets any worse.
Many of their drivers have been put to their pin of their collars trying to maintain their status in society.