Sligo Football - Where do we go from here?

Started by Sligoper, June 23, 2008, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are people confident In John Murphy's abilities as co. chairman?

Yes
No
Hard to say

GalwayBayBoy

Sligonian for Sligo coach!

Christ almighty that would be some craic. I keep picturing Timmy Ryan of D'Unbelievables fame. ;D

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=guT76kAPYs0

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 04, 2008, 01:19:21 PM
That is my goal now to start small ie with club and work my way up and play the political game and be diplomatic.

Im not joking Sligionian but i nearly collapsed laughing at that bit  :D

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 04, 2008, 03:45:53 PM
Sligonian for Sligo coach!

Christ almighty that would be some craic. I keep picturing Timmy Ryan of D'Unbelievables fame. ;D

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=guT76kAPYs0

Cant help but laugh at that, funny :D :D :D,

Quote from: ludermor on July 04, 2008, 05:38:04 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 04, 2008, 01:19:21 PM
That is my goal now to start small ie with club and work my way up and play the political game and be diplomatic.

Im not joking Sligionian but i nearly collapsed laughing at that bit  :D

Ive managed my local national school for a yr at cumann na mbuscola and got to 3/4 teachers final in markievicz a few yrs back miles further than we ever got before or since. My involvement in the club has been non existant last few yrs for reasons out of my control. I'll be back playing soon. Im only 26 and young and still learning and immature in ways. i know my own faults and diplomacy is something im working on ;) although its hard to be. I'll never get anywhere being brutally honest the whole time, sometimes you need to tell people what they want to hear especially those in power, who give management jobs out. Keep your enemies closer as they say. I can undertand you laughing at that though ludermor, i was worse believe it or not.

[/quote]Secondly Sligonian has decreed PeterWilson as the next midfielder for Sligo[/quote]

Im convinced he wil continue his development and hes 100% commited and has bagfuls of the right atitude which will carry his talent over the white line alot for sligo. Also there are exactly 10 soccer clubs in sligo town, just counted sorry was told by someone recently and should have checked myself first.

Ironically i seen st johns minors this week against our minors st molaise gaels who won 16A 2 yrs ago and they were class. They beat us by 3pts in our home patch and were far better team. Hope they stick at it and kick on from this level.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rossfan

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 04, 2008, 06:25:33 PM
Ive managed my local national school for a yr at cumann na mbuscola

Jasus I hope you dont teach Gaeilge in that school of yours.  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Teeling Gael

See on sligogaa.ie that Tommy Jordan resigned this evening for personal family reasons. Whilst his term wont be remembered for its success, he personally will be remembered as a very decent man who did his best for Sligo footballers . The access he gave clubs to their senior panellist was greater than any manager in recent years and him taking up his first intercounty appointment directly after the 2007 Connaught Championship win showed him to be a man of great courage.

Am certain that all Sligo Gaels wish him and his family all the best and pray that all works out for them.

Owenmoresider

Hear Hear. Sad for Tommy, but in fairness it was going to be difficult to go again after what was a bad year all round. Perhaps Durcan can take the reigns again for the TM cup now.

In response to an earlier suggestion by moysider, I had thought of one or two things to say here, didn't post them, though I haven't posted much since the Castlebar defeat, but many good points have been already covered, not least the poor quality of the local club scene (hence why I look in at yer squabbles now and again :)), the basketball-style attitude of certain "leading" referees and others, the need to change the panel to some degree (some there who aren't up to it, finished, or just don't seem to care) and the drop-off from the talented underage ranks from certain areas (usually in or around the Borough environs), but it is difficult to put the problems down to any one major point, and besides there are some things which are better said elsewhere. Also, while you say the Connacht final would have a long post-mortem if Mayo lose, there are a lot more Mayo posters than of ours, so that's probably a likely scenario.

Sligonian - the vacancy is there for you. If not now, when?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 07, 2008, 10:14:45 PM
Hear Hear. Sad for Tommy, but in fairness it was going to be difficult to go again after what was a bad year all round. Perhaps Durcan can take the reigns again for the TM cup now.

In response to an earlier suggestion by moysider, I had thought of one or two things to say here, didn't post them, though I haven't posted much since the Castlebar defeat, but many good points have been already covered, not least the poor quality of the local club scene (hence why I look in at yer squabbles now and again :)), the basketball-style attitude of certain "leading" referees and others, the need to change the panel to some degree (some there who aren't up to it, finished, or just don't seem to care) and the drop-off from the talented underage ranks from certain areas (usually in or around the Borough environs), but it is difficult to put the problems down to any one major point, and besides there are some things which are better said elsewhere. Also, while you say the Connacht final would have a long post-mortem if Mayo lose, there are a lot more Mayo posters than of ours, so that's probably a likely scenario.

Sligonian - the vacancy is there for you. If not now, when?

Thanks to Tommy for all his time and effort put in, it is appreciated. And i wish his family well. As teeling gael said he showed alot of courage all yr taking on the reigns in the first place was a big statement, but unfortunetly for him and sligo football it just didnt workout but he did his best. Best of luck in whatever he decides to do next.

I am happy though hearing the news from a sligo football perspective. He just was out of his depth. Made too many mistakes and to be honest he never learned from them which was worrying that wed get same service next yr.

Anyway most important thing now is Sligo County Board make a better appointment and get it right. Will brehony comeback? Personnaly would prefer someone else as i thought he was more lucky than good but we all know Napoleons saying. I dont want a good general i want a lucky one. No one knows how good any man will do to be honest but the interview process has to be some benefit in getting a good candidate. Personnaly its a great time to get the job, no pressure or expectations and hopefully after a lack of effort shown on the field by the panel it will be reignited by the hurt of this yr. Thats assuming the sligo players actually care, i didnt see it on the pitch. They didnt do jordan any favours with the lacklustre atitude shown this yr.

Im assuming a Sligo man will be selected, i couldnt see anyone outside the county going for it. Anthony brennan is the only other that springs to mind, all i hear from people is how good a job he does with IT Sligo but i havnt seen any of his teams first hand. Pat kilcoyne, paul durkan and denis jonstons are non runners for me, great servants to sligo gaa but kilcoyne was not impressive with sligo minors and durkan made a laughing stock of younger panelists when he brought back a shockingly unfit james curran and ronan keane for the TM cup a few yrs ago. That decision did not benefit sligo football.  I played under jonston for sligo county vocational schools and hes old school and training methods werent good and his management skills were poor. No tactics and obsessed with physical players who had no football abilty. He played a guy CHB who i scored 3-5 on in a game school semi we drew on my bad yr but he was over 6ft but thats all that matters with jonston.

OMS the vacancy is there but I dont think Murphy will give it to a 26yr old even though i know more than a few of our previous managers :D. My time will come ;). Try not to fall off yer chair laughing but seriously it is an ambition of mine. Talk the talk walk the walk.

What are yer thoughts on who the candidates are and who is best?

I forgot to say but if them selectors are kept were screwed...they need to go aswell.

moysider

Not an easy year for Tommy Jordan. His wife diagnosed with a serious illness during the year which I m sure many people would not have been aware of. It s a credit to him that he saw out the year. It would have been difficult for him to continue anyway after the Mayo performance but the personal family reasons are genuine and not a smoke screen or anything to walk away. Hopefully everything will work out well for the Jordans. And for Sligo football.

Sligoper

Well said Moysider.

Durcan wont even look at the job as he's busy with Curry and he def won't be interested in TM Cup.
Kilcoyne will be interested but will be refused. Doing well with Coolera bu tlook what he done with Johns?
Johnson? Perhaps although i thinks he's more intersted with Harps.
How about Carney? Two senior championships and he previously applied for the job! Another Mayo man at the helm? Very doubtful?
Brennan? Well a glowing CV although when he couldnt get anything out of Tubber so what makes ye think he will get somethin out of Sligo?

I think the important thing is that whoever they appoint that he is appointed in good time. I felt both senior and U21 managers were appointed very late last year. Do we appoint an inside or outside man? Out of the three managers last year (Senior, U21, Minor) fergal O'Flaherty, the only sligo man, got a decent result although admitedly they collapsd against Ros.

I feel there are very few options available and that Murphy and Co have their work cut out for them. James Kearins is an old friend of Murfs.........but not a chance...?
Go on the Bunnies!

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2008, 11:45:40 PM

Not an easy year for Tommy Jordan. His wife diagnosed with a serious illness during the year which I m sure many people would not have been aware of. It s a credit to him that he saw out the year. It would have been difficult for him to continue anyway after the Mayo performance but the personal family reasons are genuine and not a smoke screen or anything to walk away. Hopefully everything will work out well for the Jordans. And for Sligo football.
I sincerely hope everything works out for Tommy and his family as its obviously been a very tough few few months for him personally.  I happened to meet him on a coaching course a number of years ago and he was an absolute gentleman and football to the core.  I think it was about a year or two after Crossmolina won the All Ireland Club and he gave a superb analysis of how they plotted their way to the final once they won the Mayo county title.

Mano

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2008, 11:45:40 PM

Not an easy year for Tommy Jordan. His wife diagnosed with a serious illness during the year which I m sure many people would not have been aware of.

I don't think too many people in Sligo are aware of this-i certainly wasn't. It puts the Connaught Championship into perspective. I wish Tommy and his family all the best and hopefully they can pull through these difficult times.

magpie seanie

Tommy Jordan was fired at the request of the players. Don't buy into the carefully crafted press releases. I find it disgusting that they are using his family circumstances to cover over this shafting. Sligo GAA is rotten to the core and in a nutshell thats the answer to this thread.

Tommy Jordan is an excellent football man who never had a hope from day 1 in the Sligo job. I wish him and his family well.

QuoteI don't think too many people in Sligo are aware of this-i certainly wasn't.

Jordan isn't into the spin doctoring like those that surrounded him. He's just an honest GAA man who plays with a straight bat. The kind that get shafted.

stephenite

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 08, 2008, 09:26:45 AM
Tommy Jordan was fired at the request of the players. Don't buy into the carefully crafted press releases. I find it disgusting that they are using his family circumstances to cover over this shafting. Sligo GAA is rotten to the core and in a nutshell thats the answer to this thread.

Tommy Jordan is an excellent football man who never had a hope from day 1 in the Sligo job. I wish him and his family well.

QuoteI don't think too many people in Sligo are aware of this-i certainly wasn't.

Jordan isn't into the spin doctoring like those that surrounded him. He's just an honest GAA man who plays with a straight bat. The kind that get shafted.

Not shocked to be honest, but a little taken a back at the way we do things, why cant we do things honestly? If he was sacked why use his personal circumstances to spin it. It is cowardly. Since when did players run the show and call the shots. Was the whole panel invloved in this request??? The decision is the right one IMO but there are ways of doing things. Our lads dont seem to understand the word integrity.

baoithe

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 08, 2008, 09:26:45 AM

I knew that's exactly what that press release was and I was surprised and disappointed that they used family reasons to justify his 'resignation'. And you're right Seanie, the sligo county board has gone from bad to worse and it'd be difficult to submit a post that analyses the reasons Sligo football is in such a state of crisis without defaming some of these clowns (oops). That together with the sickening and pathetic effort of Sligo's first fifteen (ha!) is the reason I, hitherto, have neglected to contribute to this thread.

We are now dealing with an executive which was described to me, by a great servant to Sligo football over the years, as a Mafia style organisation. Not a label I'd use but it at the very least conveys the real sense of disillusionment pervading the county at this time. I have absolutely no faith in John Murphy and I never had. He was fortunate that Tommy Brehony was ready to take Sligo on after the disgraceful treatment of Dom Corrigan. I should add that it's my opinion that Dom Corrigan and Tommy Jordan were not quite up to the job. I dont care how nice a person or how straight you are with people, if you cannot manage personnel effectively then you shouldn't be in the job. I apply that to all jobs in all walks of life.  Notwithstanding that I think the treatment doled out to Corrigan and Jordan was/is disgraceful but I'm not one bit surprised.

Anyway, I have enough to be doing without wasting valuable time writing about these flutes.

(PS - I havent proof read this so apologies for typo/grammar errors.)