Armagh v Down- 29th June-Ulster Semi Final Thread

Started by Whacker, June 17, 2008, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on June 30, 2008, 09:10:39 AM

Quote from: Lazer on June 19, 2008, 02:23:13 PM
And, the great thing about the match being in Clones, will be the glorious drive home through Armagh, with the Down flags flying to celebrate our win!

Remind me again - how many times have Armagh won the All Ireland?

Quote from: Red Army on June 21, 2008, 05:00:42 PM
Armagh are a team on their knees hoping for one last howray.
Yes Down are a division 3 team, Armagh should have no difficulty in winning if league form is to be believed.
The thing that kills Armagh people most is the fact they won only 1 sam in their so called period of dominance. Now that the sleeping Mourne giant is awakening and normal service is about to be resumed Armagh have nothing only one last shot at an Ulster title.

Quote from: feetofflames on June 23, 2008, 10:26:04 AM
I see this game as a fascinating battle between the old and the the new rich.  Between Good and evil and between fine silk threads and a stolen jumper.   Armagh are in dreamland - the country is talking about them, which is alll they wanted anyway, and they have had to play very little football to have this reputation.   Armagh will be very concious that they have now won an awful lot of Ulster titles and yet have consistently failed to get it up on the big occasion. 
Put this into context - Armagh have won 6 of the last 9 ulsters, have appeared in 2 all Irelands and one of them they took the back door route, Deep in their psychie will be the knowledge that Armagh footballers have an underachieveing gene in their make up - and that cant be nice. Armagh will be happy enough to plod away through the back door after this weekend where a meeting with Tyrone awaits them.   
Down by 5 

Quote from: Down Gael on June 27, 2008, 11:34:30 AM
Its the Aristocracy v Nouveau Riche. A team that wants to play fast flowing, attractive football v puke football. Down play the game the way it is supposed to be played. Armagh think they invented football in 2002. The tide is turning in Ulster, the favourites are dropping like horses at the canal turn on Grand National day. proper order to be restored on Sunday evening. Down by 5 points.

Quote from: buglebhoy on June 27, 2008, 02:42:51 PM
Bellew to go off (if he can climb out of bennys pocket) with a fake injury because he's getting roasted

Ambrose will get man of the match with 4 points from play

Paul McGrane to announce his retirement after the game.......... again!!!

Quote from: Down Gael on June 27, 2008, 10:53:29 PM
Could you just explain one little thing to me. What was it like standing in Croke Park in 2003 watchin Peter Canavan lift Sam. What was it like to stand there as a loser. Was it as bad as 77 or 53 ? Is it worse to lose to another Ulster team in an All Ireland final than it is to our southern counterparts? Just explain to us Down men what its like  :D

Obviously most of these contributions came in the final few days when the dawning of reality led the kids to cling to whatever they could – ancient history.

Touche

bennydorano

Thought Colm O'Rourke blasted Down's illusions of grandeur out of the water beautifully.  Paraphrasing obviously : Never been beaten by Kerry? that's because they haven't played them often enough - 5 All Irelands is all well and good but where were they the other 120 odd years.  Aristocrats me hole (not his).

Down Gael

Did Colm mention that 5 will always be greater than 1  ;)

bennydorano

See, that sort of nonsense doesn't bother me, I was convinced I'd never see Armagh win an All Ireland and I did, so I'm happy enough.  The standard of some of the Down postings on this site makes me think that not too many of them would remember Down's last win in '94.

haveaharp

Quote from: Down Gael on July 01, 2008, 02:54:03 PM
Did Colm mention that 5 will always be greater than 1  ;)

is there not a different type of drum for you hoors to bang this time of year.

crossfire

Quote from: Uladh on June 26, 2008, 02:53:04 PM

Some or all of Moriarty, Bellew, McKeever and possibly s kernan should be under review

You are a good judge of a footballer Uladh  ??? ::)

corn02

Ah Crossfire if you followed closely you will see Uladh siad S kernan would not be under threat in his team. Read all the posts first mate.

Uladh

once again you have demonstrated your inability to read...

Quote from: Uladh on June 26, 2008, 06:16:31 PM
Quote from: full back on June 26, 2008, 05:49:00 PM
SK has to start uladh, although you may not rate him in this type of game he had a very good game last day out, and I hope he keeps the form up for this game

Eh, i agree...

Quote from: Uladh on June 26, 2008, 03:10:09 PM
SK has won me over this spring with his league form and i have him down as a starter.

crossfire

Uladh,
I did not mention Stephen Kernan in my last post. You mentioned 4 players that should be under review and in my opinion they all performed very well.

Seeing you did mention S.K. I am glad that you have eventually seen the light!

Most knowledgeable football followers were aware this past couple of years that he was a good footballer and genuine county material. Obviously yourself and a few others on this board are "slow learners".

armawman

Quote from Crossfire: "Most knowledgeable football followers were aware this past couple of years that he was a good footballer and genuine county material".

Correct.

Stephen Kernan proved himself as an excellent footballer during Armagh's U21 success in 2004. It is no surprise that he is now shining in the senior jersey. For all players it takes a while to progress from U21 to senior. Stephen is a wonderful footballer who is a pleasure to watch with his accurate score taking and selling dummies to opponents to create space for himself. He is the master of selling a dummy in crowded areas to send his opponent the wrong way. Like his father Joe before him he wears the orange jersey with distinction.

Uladh

Quote from: armawman on July 01, 2008, 10:33:49 PM
Quote from Crossfire: "Most knowledgeable football followers were aware this past couple of years that he was a good footballer and genuine county material".

Correct.

Stephen Kernan proved himself as an excellent footballer during Armagh's U21 success in 2004. It is no surprise that he is now shining in the senior jersey. For all players it takes a while to progress from U21 to senior.

I have no problem with that. what i did have a problem was him geting the opportunity to fast track his progress before equally talented footballers and in front of players who were already at levels above him.

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on June 27, 2008, 09:55:38 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on June 27, 2008, 03:26:41 PM
Jasus lads, everyone is getting a bit edgy, maybe its championship nerves, the banter here is great, you couldnt beat it with a big stick.

But seriously you down guys are banging on about all these all irelands and that way back when men wore caps while playing football and the goalies smoked pipes, and it was a pigs head or bladder was being booted round the field, the tv was black and white, i bet 90% of yous on here couldnt even enjoy the last in 94 becasue ye were only wee cubs still running round in nappies, for the older folk yes i can take on board their arguments but you boys really werent around to celebrate it properly like us Armagh men
;) 

(Reply by Genuine Down Man)
I consider myself young at heart and still playing, albeit 3rds.  In my life time we have secured 5, five, cuig, fünf, cinco, vijf, (I love the way most Arma folk I encounter have difficulty believing this digit exists).  Unfortunately for you this is something I have that you nor none of your widest extended family will ever experience, but you can dream.  Call it smug if you like but you cannot take it away from me.  Stop talking about such great things already, you nor no one you know is qualified on these matters.

Still and all, we can be content to gift you Sunday's game safe in the knowledge that, should you bt Fermanagh, you will again raise anxiousness as representatives of Ulster GAA by bringing puke football on to the hallowed turf plus with the added recurring risk of Ulster humiliation, embarrassing and ignominious failure yet again.  Accept it, this has been your history.

I was interested by one of your posts which mentioned Sligo v Down and the Murphy cup.  I love this craic.  Talk about leading with your chin? (I though Arma men were wilier that that). 

I remember being at Croker (or in Arma's case Choker) when yous grasped a lucky draw from the clutches of victory against who?  SLIGO.  O ye of the goldfish memories.

The above exchange shut up Ulagh and his ilk last weekend.  It still remains totally accurate today despite Arma's deserved win at the weekend.  Although some of the simpler Arma men on this thread find this fact sickening its remains true. 

Hope Arma don't shame Ulster again when they get to play at Choker.

Uladh

:D

Ah, desperate posts like that make sunday all the more satisfying.

Yes I Would

Nothing like graciousness in defeat Onion Bag!!

corn02

Quote from: crossfire on July 01, 2008, 09:30:26 PM
Most knowledgeable football followers were aware this past couple of years that he was a good footballer and genuine county material. Obviously yourself and a few others on this board are "slow learners".

You my friend are a slow learner. I know plenty of good footballers who are genuine county material, I would not have them near the Armagh team yet.