An Lú vs Tír Eoghain 19/07/2008

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 16, 2008, 08:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

I know OM I just wanted to use the word 'audacity' in a sentence :D

orangeman

Tyrone Dreamer

We've went two championships without an All Ireland. Before Mickey Harte came along we had went over 100 years without an All Ireland. We won the ulster title last year, something which is a decent enough achievement. How many other current ulster county managers have won an ulster title? I dont see these managers getting serious abuse. People have to appreciate exactly what Mickey Harte has brought to Tyrone football this past 15 years and catch themselves on. People are quick to say Canavan won us the all irelands but he played for Tyrone for many years before Mickey came along and wasnt involved in Hartes 3 All Ireland underage titles.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on June 20, 2008, 05:00:52 PM
...but I think you'll find there were only a few morons shouting abuse - the vast majority of Tyrone fans would never indulge in that shite !

Noble sentiments orangeman, now for a little less pessimism regarding this year's prospects please!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

So, if by 19th July, the following are fit and raring to go:

Keeper, Ricey, Joe Mc, McGee, Harte, Gormley, Jordan, Cavanagh, Hughes, Dooher, McGuigan, McGinley, Mellon = 13 players who are seasoned All-Irelanders

surely all we need is 2-3 players capable of matching that level and 2-3 on the bench capable of reaching that performance.

Post-2005, name 3 players who could have fitted in to the 03/05 side?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Tommy Mc Guigan, Mulgrew, and Mc Caul -- would've challenged for a place, at least.

ONeill

QuoteTommy Mc Guigan, Mulgrew

Ahead of whom?

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's the question ONeill, but I'd say after the Cavan game they'd have been in the frame. All too easy in retrospect of course.

young anail

Lads, whats wrong with Justy at full back?I think he's done great since introduced there. Other than the Armagh semi final,Kerry final and meath last year what games has big joe played full back?? Add to the fact that Brosnan destroyed him for the first half, then cricko came on for him to steady ship. While Shane O'Rourke took him to the cleaners also.
Justy has been able to deal with very mobile players and with the big man. Im of the opinion that joey is better use out the field and with the Down game over him he'll progress in match fitness and confidence and could be a great option at midfield with big sean. We need him somewhere in that middle sector (maybe even at 5, where he played in 04) esp with teams using the blanket defence, possesion is vital and thats where joey's vision and use of the ball comes into play.
I've a lot of time for the hub, If told to go out and do a job, i.e break kickouts, put tackels in and spoil he can be very effective.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair point young anail, I completely forgot about Justin, and ONeill was too devious to correct me once he was proved wrong  ;) Absolutely, a dead cert he is, a great footballer, and would have had any number of the '05 lads looking over their shoulders.

ONeill

QuoteFair point  young anail, I completely forgot about Justin, and ONeill was too devious to correct me once he was proved wrong  Wink

eh?

Fear ón Srath Bán

You asked for three, you've been given four. Or do you deny that after the Cavan game more than one of those would have been denied a fair hearing?

ONeill

After the drawn Cavan game, Tyrone annihilated the opposition. After the drawn Down game, Tyrone lost. Not sure if that answers it.

orangeman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 20, 2008, 08:38:20 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 20, 2008, 05:00:52 PM
...but I think you'll find there were only a few morons shouting abuse - the vast majority of Tyrone fans would never indulge in that shite !

Noble sentiments orangeman, now for a little less pessimism regarding this year's prospects please!  ;)

I wish I could be more postive but expectations levels have definitely fallen in most people's minds  - we need a few new players to blend with some of the more experienced ones and then maybe ....... ?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on June 20, 2008, 11:33:22 PM
After the drawn Cavan game, Tyrone annihilated the opposition. After the drawn Down game, Tyrone lost. Not sure if that answers it.

Not sure if that answers it either, but I'd say if those four players had been on the bench the surgical work might have been a bit more radical after the drawn game in '05. Down 2008 is a completely different animal from either Down '03 or Cavan '05 IMHO, no valid inference can be drawn there - QED to be sure, we're not the cream of the material we were, but neither have the opposition to date been the dregs that they once might have been (and that we were too), where a draw represented nothing less than a foregone conclusion, an assured formality for Tyrone in the replay. If we'd met that Down team in '03, and they'd gone 9 points ahead, we could have kissed goodbye to our aspirations for that year, and even if we had drawn, we would have found it equally difficult in the replay. Different time, different teams.