Leinster Championship Rankings

Started by Dinny Breen, June 09, 2008, 12:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: Jinxy on June 09, 2008, 03:08:34 PM
If you asked a Dub would he rather face us in a Leinster final or any of the other 2nd tier teams you listed what do you think the answer would be?

Of the "2nd tier" teams I would prefer to get Meath in a Leinster final.
Most likely team to beat us, but would still prefer to play them.

I would agree with previous posters, I'd be surprised if Meath didnt make at least the 1/4 finals.
Ask me holy bollix

Hardy

Another thing. Meath look the least fit team I've seen in  the championship so far. They were completely leaden-footed in the last 20 minutes in Carlow as Wexford ran rings around them. I don't know whether that's a backfired attempt at timing for peak fitness or just bad fitness training.

screenexile

Here would be my rankings for the All Ireland... I'll go through the top 15 odd...

1. Kerry
2. Derry
3. Galway
4. Armagh
5. Dublin

Donegal, Westmeath, Fermanagh, Dublin

Wexford (Would have been in the group above only for their first half against Meath), Cork, Down, Tyrone, Mayo, Laois, Monaghan, Meath all in a group with any one capable of upsetting the other.

Fermanagh possibly above their station but I was impressed with their performance against Monaghan and while individually they wouldn't be as strong as a lot of teams, their manager as very shred tactically and has them very organised and as a group they perform above their individual ability!

Anyway just firing it out for discussion. What do the rest of you think?

Dinny Breen

If Dublin want to win the All-Ireland, they would of course love to play Meath, it's the type of that seperates the boys from the men and prepare them for bigger battles further on and the same logic of course applies to Meath. I just don't rate Meath as highly as some posters too many questions over there defence and discipline for my liking and I believe Colm Coyle is struggling with the pressure, never looks happy that man.

Here would be my rankings for the All Ireland... I'll go through the top 15 odd...

1. Kerry
2. Derry
3. Galway
4. Armagh
5. Dublin

Dublin aren't that far away you know.

1.Kerry
2. Dublin
3. Derry
4. Galway
5. Cork

#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

QuoteWould have been in the group above only for their first half against Meath

What about Derry's first half against Donegal?

I think the four provincial winners, at present, look like:

Kerry
Galway
Dublin
Derry

I'd be thinking that the qualifers are likely to throw up QFs as follows (depending on the draw etc.)

Cork
Mayo
Tyrone
Meath

If there's a surprise, I think it'll be Wexford/Fermanagh.  Of that 10, I can't see past Kerry at present, though we're unlikely to see the real Kerry until August.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

GalwayBayBoy

Lads I'm not sure why you're rating us so highly? We won't go within an asses roar of winning the All-Ireland. One or two things go our way we might make the last four but I would be far from certain of even that.

Fair enough after Kerry I think a lot of the team are much of a muchness on any given day but certainly the likes of Dublin and Derry have to be considered ahead of us. Probably Cork and Tyrone too.

Jinxy

Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2008, 03:24:13 PM

1. Kerry
2. Derry
3. Galway
4. Armagh
5. Dublin

Wexford (Would have been in the group above only for their first half against Meath), Cork, Down, Tyrone, Mayo, Laois, Monaghan, Meath all in a group with any one capable of upsetting the other.

Fermanagh possibly above their station but I was impressed with their performance against Monaghan and while individually they wouldn't be as strong as a lot of teams, their manager as very shred tactically and has them very organised and as a group they perform above their individual ability!

I'm baffled as to how anyone can have Armagh ahead of Dublin. Based on what exactly?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 09, 2008, 04:19:13 PM
Lads I'm not sure why you're rating us so highly? We won't go within an asses roar of winning the All-Ireland. One or two things go our way we might make the last four but I would be far from certain of even that.

Fair enough after Kerry I think a lot of the team are much of a muchness on any given day but certainly the likes of Dublin and Derry have to be considered ahead of us. Probably Cork and Tyrone too.
Have to agree with all of that GBB.  A QF win in Croke Park would be huge progress on the last few years.....................................

INDIANA

its based on the outstanding standard of the ulster championship jinxy it's so superior to everything else.(yeah right) we must remember jinxy that dublin and meath must always tip our hats to the superior standard up north and their one and two all-irelands. how derry can be ranked second with one just one scoring forward is beyond me. to be honest it's kerry well out in front but little to choose between the next 5/6 on any given day. kerry look a better bet than lester piggott on a favourite.

western exile

Dinny, I would have put Wexford as number 2 instead of Laois.  Of course that will be settled in 2 weeks time.....

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteHere would be my rankings for the All Ireland... I'll go through the top 15 odd...

1. Kerry
2. Derry
3. Galway
4. Armagh
5. Dublin

I'm baffled as to how anyone can have Armagh ahead of Dublin. Based on what exactly?

Have to agree. Can't see how anyone could put Armagh 4th most likely to wint he All Ireland or ahead of Dublin. Possibly you could go on the league form from Cross but if so, Meath, Monaghan and Westmeath should all be ahead of us. I have us 4th or 5th in Ulster at the minute to be honest although I'm still hoping we can make an Ulster final and give Derry a right good rattle.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Dinny Breen

QuoteDinny, I would have put Wexford as number 2 instead of Laois.  Of course that will be settled in 2 weeks time

Before the Meath game yes but that game leaves a lot of questions over Wexford, always thought Wexford would win just not in that manner.

Quotehow derry can be ranked second with one just one scoring forward is beyond me

You could probably say the same about Dublin, i.e Brogan. Of the Derry forwards the two Bradleys and Muldoon would walk into the Dublin forward line and Mark Lynch is a far better player than Collie Moran.
#newbridgeornowhere

Uladh

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 09, 2008, 02:59:26 PM

Uladh, you do realise you tipped Kildare to win Leinster, you are slowly becoming Cassandra and eventually even when right no-one will believe your predictions.  :P

have to hold my hands up there boss!

you didn't disagree with me by the way...

INDIANA

eoin bradley is a better forward than bernard brogan, connolly, keaney,quinn on current form? i don't think so dinny. he wasn't much use against us last year either dinny, hiis reputation is just that -solely based on reputation  it's not on substance thus far so i think that's way off the mark. moran plays as a defensive forward as we're playing with only 5 forwards so he wouldn't displace him either
Muldoon has the talent to get on any team but it's apity derry don't use him in front of the goal because he's badly needed there. they won't get away with paddy bradley doing the damage all the time, despite the fact he is rapidly becoming the best forward in ireland in my view.

Dinny Breen

Quoteeoin bradley is a better forward than bernard brogan, connolly, keaney,quinn on current form

What has Brogan Jnr done this year, Quinn is impressive against poor teams and fails to rise to the occasion when needed, I'll be honest and say I haven't seen enough of Connolly to judge, I do like Keaney, can take his scores, good work rate and attitude. Bradley didn't start against Dublin last year, so you can hardly judge him on that by the way. I  just like the look of that Derry and by beating Kerry in a national final (When did Dublin last do that?) I think they've laid a marker, only time will tell.
#newbridgeornowhere