Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof98

Quote from: winsamsoon on May 02, 2007, 03:12:21 PM
I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Kernans selection programme, but lets be honest the selection of players in Armagh over the past decades have always been flawed. Players have been selected by name, repution of their father or sometimes granda, placement, college or even club. So tell me in what way is Joe Kernan changing this sysytem by selecting his sons. Ak Is good enough for senior football at county level but he is played out of position. If you can't admit that the lad has talent then it is just boiling down to jealousy. We could all sit here and name five other players that should be on the armagh squad. We had also players on the national league team that were only selected because of name ie moriaty, mc creesh ( there is definetly better players in the county). This tends to be overlooked and the focus put on the kernans. So i ain't saying it is right but it has always went on and won't change in the near future.

When your buying a horse, you look at its pedigree 8)
I'll go back if Marsdens back

winsamsoon

Has joe Kernan no pedigree??? he is obviously good at the breeding stakes.

Clan Na Gael 1-13 Tir Na Og 0-6 tonight referee was brutal again.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Uladh

Article in the paper yesterday by joe mentioning Bellew's knee injury which he picked up in cross' first league game of the year vs clan na gael.

lurganblue

the article from the Irish News was posted on orchardcounty.com

Kernan Not Hopeful On Bellew's Fitness   

ARMAGH manager Joe Kernan is pessimistic about Francie Bellew's chances of being fit for Armagh's first round clash against Donegal. Bellew sustained a knee injury when playing for his club, Crossmaglen, in their first league game of the year against Clan na Gael. Kernan reckons his Allstar defender will not recover in time for the game in Ballybofey. Speaking from Armagh's training base in La Manga, Kernan said: "I don't think he's going to make it." The Orchard County manager has flown to the Spanish resort ahead of his 32-man squad who will arrive tomorrow for a five-day training camp.

Kernan is being kept updated about his players back home, and he will know for certain today if Bellew will be ready for the game against Donegal. "I'm waiting on a phone call from the team doctor and I'll know for definite then, but it's not looking good," said Kernan. This is the fourth time that the Orchard county have travelled to La Manga. Their first trip was in 2002, the year they the All-Ireland title for the first time. They returned in 2004 and 2006. In 2003 they went to Bath, while a rescheduling of fixtures meant they didn't go anywhere in 2005.

When asked to detail the benefits of the warm weather training camp, Kernan said: "The players are away, we are all together and there are no distractions whatsoever. "You know the quality of the work you are going to do is good. For boys coming back from injuries, or for people that need to step up on certain stuff, you can fit an awful lot in during those four or five days." While the Armagh players will be able to train in pleasant climes, Kernan insisted that their five days in the sun would be no holiday camp.

"It will be hard work. The boys will have no problem sleeping," he said. Injuries and an influx of new talent means there is intense competition for places in the Armagh squad. "It's the first time in six years that we have somebody for every position." said Kernan.

The manager is clearly keen to nurture this rivalry amongst his players. When asked if he had a starting side in mind ahead of the game on May 27, he said: "I'd have a good idea in my own mind, but the next four or five days will cement a few things too." Kernan has a formidable record in the Ulster Championship. Since 2002, his team has lost just one of their 19 outings.

But this year, they face one of their toughest challenges ever - Donegal, the reigning National League champions await them on their home turf in Ballybofey. "The best team won the National League. They've improved 100 per cent from the day they met us in the McKenna Cup. Their morale will he high. Nothing beats winning trophies. It won't be easy, that's for sure. "They are the form team at the minute. But we know what we have to do, it's as simple as that," said Kernan.

The Irish News 

illdecide

Clans had a good win last night over Tir Na Og, there was only one point in it at half time but just like sunday's game with the Og's they turned on the style in the second half. A Philip Oldham goal half way through the second when the clans were 4pts up killed the game as a contest. 8)

Tir Na Og were poor on the night and i'm sure that result won't have given them much confidence for their championship encounter with the Clans taking into account they didn't score in the second half :D :D :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Donagh

Bad news for Armagh alright. I think the question has to be asked why the team has had so many cruciate injuries this year as it seems to be more than a coincidence. Something with last years training methods or too much football?

Smokin Joe

Who were the others who fell foul to the cruciate injuries?

Uladh

Tir na nÓg

QuoteClans had a good win last night over Tir Na Og, there was only one point in it at half time but just like sunday's game with the Og's they turned on the style in the second half. A Philip Oldham goal half way through the second when the clans were 4pts up killed the game as a contest.

Tir Na Og were poor on the night and i'm sure that result won't have given them much confidence for their championship encounter with the Clans taking into account they didn't score in the second half

Hopefully the second half performance will be a huge wake up call. Tir na nÓg just didnt seem to want it in the second half and some poor shooting made the forwards drop there heads abit. Good match in the first half and if the whole match is like the first half then we will have a good championship game. If its like the second half then I fear the worst!!

lurganblue

i'd agree with illdecide's post on this.
first half was a good game of football alright. i think by half time the clans had woke up and figured out how to cope better with portadown tactically. oldham's goal killed of the game completely but the clans would probably have run out comfortable winners anyway.

why was scully not playing?

on another note. i thought it was a disappointing turnout for the game. thought there would have been more there with the weather being great and midweek an all. must have been the man utd factor  ::)

Spiritof98

Armagh full-back Francie Bellew has been ruled out of this year's Bank of Ireland Football Championship.
Scans have revealed that Bellew suffered a ruptured cruciate ligament in a recent club game and he is certain to be out for several months.

It's a massive injury blow for Armagh who are already currently without Ronan Clarke, Brian Mallon and JP Donnelly.

Despite the injury, Joe Kernan is said to be optimistic that Bellew will return to the intercounty game.

The tough Armagh defender has been a tremendous servant for club and county.

He has regularly played through the pain barrier for both Crossmaglen and Armagh but this serious injury makes a long spell on the sidelines inevitable.

The Armagh squad are currently five-day training camp in La Manga.

Armagh face Donegal in their Ulster Championship opener at Ballybofey on 27 March.

Ulster officials are said to be happy that the Ballybofey ground will be ready for the game.

Provincial secretary Danny Murphy and Ulster president Tom Daly held a meeting with Donegal officials to discuss the ongoing development earlier this week.

"Arising from the visit, there was agreement on the full schedule of works to be undertaken, and the immediate requirements will be completed in advance of the Donegal v Armagh championship game on 27 May," said Danny Murphy.

Harold Disgracey

Terrible news about Francie. Will he ever be back? Who will replace him at FB? Toner?

Quotewhy was scully not playing?

AFAIK both Scully and McAllister will be playing for Dungannon in Saturday's Irish cup final.

Tir na nÓg

Quotewhy was scully not playing?

I haven't seen scully all year well at least not at any of the matches, word on the street is that he's concentrating on the soccer. He will probably come back once the season has ended.

Goats Do Shave

Did Tony Kenran do his cruciate also?

I think big Toner would be the long term replacement, but may have it tough against the more mobile of full forwards!

McKeever/McGeeney may be the centre/full back options.

Spiritof98

Charlie Vernon could certainly do a job at full back.