Muineacháin v Fear Manach

Started by Maguire01, April 27, 2008, 02:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

With the leagues now over, all roads point to Enniskillen - this day 4 weeks.

No doubt this will be a tight game.  Very difficult to judge Fermanagh on today's performance - some great play, but some very sloppy mistakes.  Leaked 3 goals today and the keeper, despite a great double penalty save, looked very nervous under the high ball.  Vinny Corey at FF could cause havoc here.

Both teams now having to bounce back after a disappointing result as well.  Should make for an intriguing contest.

FermPundit

Should be very interesting tie and one that I am very much looking forward to it. Disappointing result today but overall it's been a good national league campaign and the objective of promotion to division two has been achieved. Although we conceded 3 silly goals today throughout our 7 league games we only leaked 4 goals which suggests that our full back line isn't too bad. Barry Owens is an awful loss but we'll have Shane Goan back which should improve things. On current form I think Monaghan will go into the game as slight favourites but I suspect they wouldn't be overly confident given how they fell off badly towards the end of the league. Given that the game is in Enniskillen I would think there will quite a high demand for tickets. Hopefully we'll get a good day weather wise as a packed out Brewster Park at championship time usually creates a cracking atmosphere. Roll on this day 4 weeks!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Maguire01

Quote from: FermPundit on April 27, 2008, 09:22:40 PM
On current form I think Monaghan will go into the game as slight favourites but I suspect they wouldn't be overly confident given how they fell off badly towards the end of the league.

I'd agree that Monaghan would be slight favourites - at a push.  Monaghan had a fairly bad last 2 games in the league, but in fairness, had Cork played all their games, they would have been sure promotion candidates and Westmeath have proved that they're not to be underestimated either.

As for Fermanagh, a great run in Division 3 potentially means very little, given the standard of some of the competition (as with Monaghan in last year's Division 2A).  Having said that, Fermanagh were never really a Division 3 team.  I'd be confident in saying that both Fermanagh and Monaghan are very competitive Division 2 teams.

Hopefully we'll have McQuaid and Duffy back and Lennon at full strength. If not, midfield could be advantage Fermanagh.

Fermanaghandsam

Can't wait, it should be a great game, I def wouldn't rule out a draw. Brewster park has always being a fortress for fermanagh, lets hope it continues!!!!!!!!! ;D

Yes I Would

Hard one to call, Fermanagh seem to have a bit of zip about them again, and its hard to know exactly where Monaghan are at. Very direct physical side, who prob need a bit more firepower up front to give Freeman a bit of help!
The game today Fermanagh reallly should have won, so if they learn from defensive lapses they will be right in the game.
Agree a draw at 7 or 8's would be worth a punt!

thebandit

I thight Fermanaghhad 2 other good keepers, what is the story with them?

liihb

Is Gallagher (the goalie not the wandering narcissist) on the panel?
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

gwan-ye-boy-ya

I hope i dont have any problems getting tickets for this one... when are they out ? and whats the cap at brewster park ?

Model Hammer

I think that game yesterday will have been invaluable to Fermanagh, as it will to Wexford. Both managers will have gotten so much out of it, and then an extra 20 minutes on top of that. For example, Fermanagh seemd to be a couple of percent short of Wexford in stamina toward the end, although the third goal was a sickener in its manner and its timing. I thought Fermanagh tired towards the end in Lisnaskea too, albeit they were down to 14 for the whole 2nd half. The League program was cruel to fermanagh - 8 games in 9 weeks.

I thought Fermanagh over-passed around HB and MF way too much in Lisnaskea when they had WX on the ropes and could have put them away with quicker ball into a creaking FB line. There was no sign of that yesterday and they were much more direct. Where I would say Ferm shaded midfield yesterday was their mobility. When they ran with the ball they just pulled away from our lads, and that's very worrying for me.

I think Ferm's best 5 or 6 players are better than Wexford's best half-dozen, and fellas like Murphy, McGrath and others look like they're peaking in time for the Champo. I also think the fact that those two can interchange between MF and FF so easily is a big bonus. When McGrath was at FF he terrified me, in both games. I don't think Brew and Little played themselves into the team yesterday, rather I'd say they probably underlined their use off the bench. But then they've 4 weeks to prove themselves.

It's no harm at all for Ferm to be knocked back a bit at this stage. Losing yesterday, while not nice, is nothing compared to what happened to Monaghan. It think their preparation will be dione no harm.

As usual with Ulster, a draw would be a good bet, but you'd be doing well to get 8s!

I'm officially shouting for Fermanagh anyway, as we've gotten to know them well over the last few years, and I had good craic with the locals up at the League match. Maybe we'll finally get to welcome yis down to WX for the Div 2 clash next year, as Ulster Champions even??

Just don't make us come up to Ulster to play either of yis in the Qualifiers again!

GrandMasterFlash

Will it be Fermanagh's first game in Brewster since it's re-opening? Still not sure about this one but have to say I'm a bit less worried about it after seeing Fermanagh on Sunday. Their defence was caught badly for two of the goals and thought the long ball into the FF line didn't work as well as it could for them. Still, it's gonna be a very tight game and one that will come down to the wire I reckon. Both teams have planety of home-work between now and then. I'm hopin we don't accrue any injuiries along the way either..

Maguire01

Quote from: gwan-ye-boy-ya on April 28, 2008, 01:34:44 PM
I hope i dont have any problems getting tickets for this one... when are they out ? and whats the cap at brewster park ?

I thought it was c.20K - i'm not expecting tickets.  It was pay on the gate for our first round match v Down in Newry last year.  I'd assume Enniskillen is at least as big as Newry, capacity wise.

gwan-ye-boy-ya

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 29, 2008, 01:30:25 PM

I thought it was c.20K - i'm not expecting tickets.  It was pay on the gate for our first round match v Down in Newry last year.  I'd assume Enniskillen is at least as big as Newry, capacity wise.

ok.. if its 20,000 it should be pay at the gate.. would b expecting 15,000 max for this one

FermPundit

Quote from: gwan-ye-boy-ya on April 29, 2008, 02:04:55 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 29, 2008, 01:30:25 PM

ok.. if its 20,000 it should be pay at the gate.. would b expecting 15,000 max for this one

Brewster Park's capacity is 21,000. I wouldn't expect it be a sell out although 2 years ago Fermanagh played Donegal in the qualifiers in Enniskillen and it was all ticket. If my memory serves me right the place was absolutley jammed given that Donegal brought a large support with them. It will be Fermanagh's first game in the redeveloped ground as well. What type of support will Monaghan bring with them?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Main Street

Apparantly nervous, very nervous.

Maguire01

I'd expect each team to bring 8-10,000.