Maigh Eo v Gaillimh

Started by Duine Eile, March 31, 2008, 12:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Watched the Galway Derry game on Setanta last night and while I think O'Mahony will have Trevor Howley on Joyce it will be some test for Howley. How he comes through it will determine how the Galway attack functions. If Joyce is able to pick off the kind of passes he's capable when he gets space then Kieran Conroy is in for a torrid time on Michael Meehan. If Howley can spoil Joyce things will be altogether easier.
I hope we don't see a revert to previous where Heaney is moved in on Joyce and Higgins onto Meehan - would make the few experiments done during the league worthless. But then its up to the likes of Howley and Conroy to prove themselves in games like these.
Agree totally with Moysider about our inside line. Conor Mort' is badly due a big performance against Damien Burke but Burke is as fast as Mort, stronger and a cute defender so Mortimer will have nothing easy. Finian Hanley will give Austie a good test of where he's at too
Think the key for Mayo though could be Gill and Harte in the wings. They have the ability to pick up a power of ball both in primary possession and from breaking balls off Mullahy and Sice. The two Galway boys are serious men going forward but, physically, Gill and Harte ought to be leaving down a marker.
Its the first league game though I'm really looking forward to . . . could be a cracker
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Lar Naparka

QuoteAnyhow Harte in for Trevor is the only change for Mayo.
Just how badly injured is Trevor?
He does seem to pick up a load of injuries and I wonder how much longer he can keep going. Gardiner too comes to mind; he seems injured as often as not. Maybe his present dip in form could be put down to niggling injuries.
Certainly when the grounds get harder and the pace is stepped up in summer, I can't see Trevor lasting a season.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Hopefully Mayo's workrate will see them get a win against Galway. That's been a key feature in all of their games this year. Having said that though, the fullback line will have to stick tight on their men, as will the halfbacks. I cannot see Galway not scoring a goal against our backs. If the Mayo forwards apply the same workrate that they have done all season so far, it could make up for the goals conceded at the other end.. It will be interesting to see how Howley does on Joyce. Joyce is a clever buck but hopefully Howley will hit him a shoulder early on or something to quieten him! ;) I heard on the radio today that there was to be segregation at the match??? Surely not as Mayo Galway games are always good-bantered matches. Perhaps she took the April fools joke serious. At least I thought it was an Aprils fools joke anyway! :o Harte would need to up his pace as that imo is the only thing he lacks. If James Gill is going to lay down a marker, then surely a game against Galway will bring the best out of him. I'm not going to predict Mayo-Galway as matches between them can go either way, but I'll be hoping that Mayo can pull it off and stay in Division 1 for another year at least. In all honesty, I cannot see Mayo making the league final.

PS, I assume the game will be on TG4 for all the rest of ye to look at. I checked the schedule and it says Beo: Sraith Náisiúnta Peile Babhta 6 agus ba chóir don chluiche seo bheith ar siúl dar liom! ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

An Fhairche Abu

During the Hogan cup final coverage today on TG4 they had it that the matches being shown live are the 2 hurling q-finals with a repeat of the Cork-Monaghan match played tonight also.

doirebhoy

GalwayBayBoy

Missed the start of the match on radio. Why are Dunleavy and Bane playing? They weren't on the selected team. Did someone cry off injured?

belleaqua

Bane on for the injured Niall Coyne

Dunleavy started for Niall Coleman, chest infection apparently.

mayo51

mayo 1.04 galway 1.2 34 min.  mayo playing with a gale in the first half

GalwayBayBoy

Galway hit post then Mayo hit crossbar and then Fiachra Breathnach goals for Galway.

Mayo 1-4
Galway 1-2

GalwayBayBoy

Joe Bergin off injured now. Paul Conroy coming on.

HT

Mayo 1-4
Galway 1-3

belleaqua

Bergin appears in big trouble according to radio....hope its not long term.

the wind might not matter much...likely to remain a tight game.

GalwayBayBoy

Ankle injury for Bergin. Hopefully it doesn't rule him out for the championship but he had to be carried off.

mayo51

mayo 1.04  galway2.04  5 min into 2ind half

belleaqua

Goal for Clancy 2-4 1-4 to Galway, Meehan causing all sorts of problems. Need to push home the advantage now...

doirebhoy

mortimer point, galway playing with big breeze,