Queen visit to the North

Started by Tankie, March 19, 2008, 02:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

I'm with Candyman on this one, the traffic this morning was a disgrace. The boys in the peaked caps couldn't organise a piss-up! They were letting people drive into trouble and then telling them they couldn't get through, surely in this day and age they could've had some sort of traffic management system!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Tony Baloney

I don't actually mind her visiting but I was pissed off this morning trying to get from Monaghan Road end of Armagh to Portadown Road. There were no diversions signs up and there were loads of southern reg and foreign vehichles really struggling as surprisingly they don't know their way around St. Brigids or Ogle St.!!!!

T Fearon

Just think of what it will be like when Benedict comes to Armagh, later this year ;D

It was damn inconsiderate of St Patrick to associate himself with a place so devoid of infrastructure to manage large volumes of people

Fluffy Che

We've had republicans giving up their lives on hunger strike for what they believe in.

Sinn Fein members murdered by British forces.

Sinn Fein member's families murdered by British forces.

Republicans and nationalists murdered and harassed by British forces.

Now they're going to lose a vote if they don't meet the Queen!

Jeeez, you boys have a hard life down there..
Midnight to Six..

Tankie

Quote from: Fluffy Che on March 20, 2008, 10:50:19 AM
We've had republicans giving up their lives on hunger strike for what they believe in.

Times move on, And Yes they have lost my vote and I expect them to act like adults and move on from the past and work together to sort it all out. It is not the Queen that has said she wants the North, its the majority of the people in the North who want to remain British.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tankie on March 20, 2008, 01:32:38 PM

Times move on, And Yes they have lost my vote and I expect them to act like adults and move on from the past and work together to sort it all out. It is not the Queen that has said she wants the North, its the majority of the people in the North who want to remain British.

Thought that you where only considering not giving them your vote (5th or 6th preference) this morning?  ::)
Tbc....

Gnevin

If a Sinn Fein lad became Minster for foreign affairs down here would he also pick and choose who to meet?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

his holiness nb

I'm starting to think Tankie was never going to vote for them either way, just a convenient platform to have a dig.

would you have a problem with the Dalai Lama refusing to meet the chinese head of state?
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on March 20, 2008, 01:46:45 PMwould you have a problem with the Dalai Lama refusing to meet the chinese head of state?
Please tell me you're not trying to compare Gerry and the Peacemakers to the Dalai Lama?

his holiness nb

No, I am comparing one leader of a community whose land is under occupation by an imperialist force, with another.

In no way did I suggest they were in any way similar personally, although the fate of the people they represent is quite similar.

I have no doubt however that if the Dalai Lama did refuse this meeting, many of the chinese side would tell him to "act like adults and move on from the past and work together to sort it all out".

;)

Ask me holy bollix

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: SammyG on March 20, 2008, 01:48:34 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on March 20, 2008, 01:46:45 PMwould you have a problem with the Dalai Lama refusing to meet the chinese head of state?
Please tell me you're not trying to compare Gerry and the Peacemakers to the Dalai Lama?

Not at all Sammy, sure Gerry and co have no problem getting meetings with unionists, where as the Dalai Lama can't.  ;)
Tbc....

Tankie

Quote from: his holiness nb on March 20, 2008, 01:46:45 PM
I'm starting to think Tankie was never going to vote for them either way, just a convenient platform to have a dig.

would you have a problem with the Dalai Lama refusing to meet the chinese head of state?

I did vote for them already. i said i will not vote again, if you read the thread and not jump in you will see this.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tankie on March 19, 2008, 03:58:44 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 19, 2008, 03:55:09 PM
Tankie, it would be electoral suicide up here if a Sinn Fein member were to meet the Queen of England, and quite possibly risking physical harm as well.

The Shinners probably think that they have moved enough by simply not protesting at the visit, like they used to.

Thats fair enough i guess. I wonder what their stance is down here as I gave one of them a vote down here but if i was too hear that he would have a problem meeting a Foreign Head of state after being invited by the Government he wouldn't be getting my vote again.

See in bold
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tankie on March 19, 2008, 04:35:35 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 19, 2008, 04:26:44 PM
Tankie, you will probably discern that there is a world of difference between welcomig a Head of State and meeting the representative of a sectarian monarchy (from which catholics are debarred) from a nation that has caused untold misery and suffering in your own country.

Would you be happy if any of your representatives welcomed Mugabe to Dublin?

Mugabe is a different story, what he is doing at this present day is shocking. Alot of the British faults are in the past and have made a genuine effort toward Ireland in recent times. If we were to bring up the past we would not welcome, German, Italian or Spanish heads of states for what they have done in the world or the Chinese leader but people will still talk to him. I would expect my Sinn Fein elected TD to meet the Queen if she was in Dublin and I would never vote for Sinn Fein again if they did not.

Again see in bold
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tankie on March 20, 2008, 01:32:38 PM

In the space of a morning we end up with - in bold!!  ::)

No agenda here then - move on
Tbc....