government grants to GAA players -- not getting into prefessionalism etc

Started by squareballz, March 18, 2008, 02:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feetofflames

You are on the button orangeman.  Ardboe Moortown, Coalisland, Clonoe Derytresk, Balinderry, Brocagh will all be one club called, Errigal Island.  Edendork, Killyman, Dungannon, Moy will be called Errigal Drumglass, and Donaghmore, Galbally, Killeeshill, Eglish and Pomeroy will be called Errigal Hamlets, Carrickmore, Killyclogher, Omagh and LoughmcCrory will be called Errigal Carmen and Errigal Ciaran should be alright though.   
Chief Wiggum

orangeman

Quote from: feetofflames on April 09, 2008, 01:37:32 PM
You are on the button orangeman.  Ardboe Moortown, Coalisland, Clonoe Derytresk, Balinderry, Brocagh will all be one club called, Errigal Island.  Edendork, Killyman, Dungannon, Moy will be called Errigal Drumglass, and Donaghmore, Galbally, Killeeshill, Eglish and Pomeroy will be called Errigal Hamlets, Carrickmore, Killyclogher, Omagh and LoughmcCrory will be called Errigal Carmen and Errigal Ciaran should be alright though.  

There's a fair chance then that Errigal will win the championship then ??  ;) ;)

magpie seanie

QuoteYes Seanie, but if the government are offering to recognise those efforts by funding an increase their expenses then fair enough.

But that's not really what happened here. The Govt didn't wake up one morning and say - lets give intercounty GAA players "extra expenses". The GPA lobbied for a tax break or a financial substitute in line with what PROFESSIONAL sportspeople get. The Govt eventually agreed to put funds in place to make grants to intercounty players to recognise among other things their cultural contribution.

It just seems very gerrymandered to me at best and I have to say I do fear for the future of the games in terms of them going pro. These grants look to me like a step down a road we shouldn't go. I don't think its fair to say folk like me are jealous or scaremongering. I don't think thats the case for me anyway. And I certainly don't begrudge players getting properly looked after. I just think this is a step too far.

feetofflames

Exactly the ironic thing is that our principled GAA leader was bullied into accepting it in principle having opposed the concept prior to being in the position to bloody well do something about it. Its as big a u turn as the chuckle brothers.
Chief Wiggum

Uladh

Ah ffs orangeman and fof, if you're not going to take the thing seriously don't bother

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on April 09, 2008, 03:45:06 PM

Ah ffs orangeman and fof, if you're not going to take the thing seriously don't bother

I AM being serious Uladh ! But the bit about the Chuckle brothers whilst funny isn't an outrageous parrallel to draw !

cornafean

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 09, 2008, 02:11:44 PM
It just seems very gerrymandered to me at best and I have to say I do fear for the future of the games in terms of them going pro. These grants look to me like a step down a road we shouldn't go. I don't think its fair to say folk like me are jealous or scaremongering. I don't think thats the case for me anyway. And I certainly don't begrudge players getting properly looked after. I just think this is a step too far.

I wouldn't be so pessimistic.

Look on the bright side.

1. The original "pay or play" grants deal agreed on 8 December last by Central Council has been scrapped.

2. Last night's DRA judgement states clearly that GAA members are free to go to the DRA to seek remedy against anyone suspected of abusing the new "expenses" scheme and breaching Rule 11.

The amateur status of the association has actually been copperfastened, in the teeth of serious opposition from the Croke Park politburo, the GPA and the media. Not a bad few months work for Mark Conway and friends. They deserve our thanks.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

orangeman

Quote from: cornafean on April 09, 2008, 04:28:35 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 09, 2008, 02:11:44 PM

Look on the bright side.

1. The original "pay or play" grants deal agreed on 8 December last by Central Council has been scrapped.

2. Last night's DRA judgement states clearly that GAA members are free to go to the DRA to seek remedy against anyone suspected of abusing the new "expenses" scheme and breaching Rule 11.

The amateur status of the association has actually been copperfastened, in the teeth of serious opposition from the Croke Park politburo, the GPA and the media. Not a bad few months work for Mark Conway and friends. They deserve our thanks.

That is a more positve outlook but sadly I fear we passed the point of rescue !

Uladh

Quote from: cornafean on April 09, 2008, 04:28:35 PM

Look on the bright side.

Virtually what the GAA hierarchy have been saying since the publication of this proposal.

consensus at last

cornafean

Quote from: Uladh on April 09, 2008, 05:12:56 PM
Virtually what the GAA hierarchy have been saying since the publication of this proposal.

consensus at last

If the GAA hierarchy had had their way, we would have been left with the dog's dinner that was the 8-12-07 "pay for play" proposal. They have done themselves no favours on this topic and deeply damaged their own credibility and moral authority as leaders of the association.  The ugliness of the recent Cork dispute earlier this year was the first manifestation of this damage. I hope it is the last, but I have my doubts.  >:( 
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

orangeman

Quote from: cornafean on April 09, 2008, 08:22:04 PM
Quote from: Uladh on April 09, 2008, 05:12:56 PM

consensus at last

If the GAA hierarchy had had their way, we would have been left with the dog's dinner that was the 8-12-07 "pay for play" proposal. They have done themselves no favours on this topic and deeply damaged their own credibility and moral authority as leaders of the association.  The ugliness of the recent Cork dispute earlier this year was the first manifestation of this damage. I hope it is the last, but I have my doubts>:( 

You KNOW it won't be the last ! And so do I and everyone else - it's beginning of the end of the GAA as an amateur association - to pretend otherwise is folly !

Uladh

Remind me again of the link between the grants issue and the cork hurlers and footballers striking over selectors?

quidnunc

QuoteRemind me again of the link between the grants issue and the cork hurlers and footballers striking over selectors?

How about Donal Og Cusack organising strikes on both issues inside a month, for starters?

Uladh

Back to the conjecture and scaremongering i see. any evidence one man organised even one strike? thought not.

Now, When was the second strike?