government grants to GAA players -- not getting into prefessionalism etc

Started by squareballz, March 18, 2008, 02:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sky Blue

Dublin voted against an anti grants motion so are in favour of the scheme. What's the postion in Cork? With all their votes they have a big influence in any vote.

I've always been against the grants but I'm still surprised that the DRA accepted a complaint from Of One Belief. They are not a constutuent member of the association. Would they consider and rule on a complaint from the FAI for example?

Shamrock Shore

QuoteShamrock Shore seems to be indicating that in Longford's case it was no to a pro-grants motion

Yes - it was 'No' to the scheme. Whether it will have an impact at Congress I dunno. Motion will probably be ruled out of order on the day for not beng as Gaelige written on ancient vellum countersigned by St. Patrick, John F. Kennedy and The Easter Bunny.

Lone Shark

Quote from: Sky Blue on April 09, 2008, 09:19:35 AM
Dublin voted against an anti grants motion so are in favour of the scheme. What's the postion in Cork? With all their votes they have a big influence in any vote.

I've always been against the grants but I'm still surprised that the DRA accepted a complaint from Of One Belief. They are not a constutuent member of the association. Would they consider and rule on a complaint from the FAI for example?

The action was not taken by Of One Belief so to speak - that's just a name. The action was taken by a number of GAA members all across Ireland (and the UK) who wished to try and oppose this through the GAA's own appeal mechanism. As such it was taken by member(s) of the association.

cornafean

The action was officially taken by "MAIRC MAC CONMIDHE-agus-DAOINE EILE" (Mark Conway & others), ie members of the GAA.

The DRA's code states the following

QuoteArbitration Rule contained in Official Guide of the GAA

(a)   In the event of any dispute or difference between any member or unit of the Association with any other member or unit of the Association, as to the legality of any decision made or procedure used by any unit of the Association in pursuance of the Rules and Bye-Laws of the Association, which cannot be settled by amicable means within the Rules of the Association, such dispute may be referred by either party to Arbitration under the Disputes Resolution Code annexed to these Rules, as initially approved by Congress and from time to time amended by the Disputes Resolution Authority with the approval of Central Council.

As GAA members, Conway and his colleagues were fully entitled to take their case to the DRA.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Uladh

Let me get this straight.

Mark Conway pronounces earlier in the week that

Quote from: Uladh on April 08, 2008, 04:18:22 PM
"I'm only speaking in a personal capacity but whatever the judgement is, good or bad from our perspective, I'll accept it. I'm not speaking for everyone, though."

The DRA, after careful consideration, rule the following:

Quote from: laoisgaa on April 08, 2008, 09:31:03 PM
We are solely concerned with one question: whether the implementation of the Scheme in this form of itself generates a breach of Rule 11. Our answer to that is that it does not."

"Contrary to what is said on behalf of the Claimants, we may not assume that Central Council will use the Schemes in a manner that achieves a contravention of Rule 11.

But now:

Quote from: laoisgaa on April 08, 2008, 09:31:03 PM
"As we are concerned the DRA's judgement doesn't change our stance. We thought we were right before we went to the DRA and that's why we went there. Just because they disagree with us, that doesn't change our view."

So now "Of one belief" (or is it now "Of two Beliefs"?) aren't opposed to the scheme because it contravenes rule 11 (as it patently does not), but for some other, as yet unrevealed reason?

AZOffaly

I'd read that as they disagree with the judgement, as they obviously would, but they will accept it as per the earlier statement. I don't see the conflict there.

Uladh

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 09, 2008, 10:45:42 AM
I'd read that as they disagree with the judgement, as they obviously would, but they will accept it as per the earlier statement. I don't see the conflict there.

But their opposition to the scheme is because it contravenes rule 11. They were wrong, it does not. S why do they now oppose it?

AZOffaly

I presume they disagree in that they still think it contravenes Rule 11, but will accept the DRA's ruling on the matter, even if it doesn't agree.

If I took a lawsuit against someone, and lost, I would still believe in my case, but would accept the ruling of the court. I would think it's a similar position.

magpie seanie

Just to bring a little humour to proceedings here's the bould Dessie with another clinker:

(from Hoganstand.com)
Farrell hits out at media
09 April 2008

GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell has criticised the media for the amount of coverage they have given to the anti-grants movement.

Farrell suggested that the opponents to player welfare grants have "punched above their weight" in terms of the amount of media coverage they have received.
Speaking after the DRA ruled that the grants scheme is not in breach of the GAA's amateur status,

Farrell said: "I think it was media driven to be honest. Obviously they claimed to be representative of grassroots, which they're not.

"I'm a member of grassroots and I know thousands of others that are members of grassroots.

"Anyone who has taken a moment to think about it realises there are paltry sums of money involved. It's not about money - it's about the principle and the recognition of what inter-county players do.

"I think most people are very happy for this scheme to be implemented. Hopefully at Congress at the weekend, the decision will be taken and the scheme will be up-and-running for this year."

Irony is alive and well folks!

orangeman

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 09, 2008, 10:59:36 AM
Just to bring a little humour to proceedings here's the bould Dessie with another clinker:

(from Hoganstand.com)
Farrell hits out at media
09 April 2008

GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell has criticised the media for the amount of coverage they have given to the anti-grants movement.

Farrell suggested that the opponents to player welfare grants have "punched above their weight" in terms of the amount of media coverage they have received.
Speaking after the DRA ruled that the grants scheme is not in breach of the GAA's amateur status,

Farrell said: "I think it was media driven to be honest. Obviously they claimed to be representative of grassroots, which they're not.

"I'm a member of grassroots and I know thousands of others that are members of grassroots.

"Anyone who has taken a moment to think about it realises there are paltry sums of money involved. It's not about money - it's about the principle and the recognition of what inter-county players do.

"I think most people are very happy for this scheme to be implemented. Hopefully at Congress at the weekend, the decision will be taken and the scheme will be up-and-running for this year."

Irony is alive and well folks!

Pure class !!!!!!! How much is Dessie on and how much of a pay rise is coming his way ?????    ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

AZOffaly

Every time someone talks about recognition of the dedication of inter-county players, or worse 'respect' for it, I get pissed off. These lads are idolised by thousands, and are heroes in their communities and throughout the country. I don't know of ONE person who does not recognise or respect inter county players and their dedication. The choice of words just annoys me, as if somehow we are all saying, 'sure they do nothing'.

Of course it's about money. I've already said numerous times that I don't have a major problem with players persuading the government that they are elite athletes and giving them grants, commensurate with other elite athletes, as such. My concern has always been about the principle of the GAA being involved, or worse, being seen as the body handing out the money. I think this is a dangerous can of worms that is about to be opened, for the association in the future. I am not against the players, and I am not refusing to acknowledge their quality, commitment or efforts.

Uladh

The GPA still haven't worked out that they shouldn't let Dessie near a microphone. However, i do agree with one thing he says - "Of one or two Beliefs" does not represent the views of the grassroots.

AZ - i agree on your sentiments on the "respect" mantra. It makes me cringe every time i hear it. The issue is status. Intercounty players, whether we like it or not, are elevated above most other members of our association by our expectations and the excellence we demand they achieve. The GAA themselves regard them differently than the ordinary member even with the simple issue of subjecting them to drug testing.

The GPA, rightly in my opinion, feel they are on a par with other grant aided sportsmen or those awarded tax breaks in this country in terms of their contribution to the sporting fabric we enjoy and felt the government should recognise this. I will give them great credit for how they have negotiated with the government to provide a fund in the way that they have. i never thought that'd be achieved but fair dues.

The highest Arbitrator in our organisation has now ruled that this in no way interferes with the amateur status, so in my opinion everybody should be happy?

AZOffaly

I don't think any body, anywhere, can say they represent the views of everybody. Grassroots, players, administrators or whomever. However, OOB certainly represented the views of a fair number of the 'grassroots', so they should be respected as such. They are all as much a member of the GAA as Dessie is. i think Dessie's been reading Orwell.

cornafean

Quote from: Uladh on April 09, 2008, 10:44:03 AM
Mark Conway pronounces earlier in the week that

Quote from: Uladh on April 08, 2008, 04:18:22 PM
"I'm only speaking in a personal capacity but whatever the judgement is, good or bad from our perspective, I'll accept it. I'm not speaking for everyone, though."

Conway's quote was in the context of a question put to him as to whether he would take the case to the High Court if he lost at the DRA. When he said "whatever the judgement is, good or bad from our perspective, I'll accept it" he meant that he would not challenge the DRA decision at a higher level.

Source: Irish Independent yesterday.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Uladh

Dessie doesn't claim to represent anyone beyond his membership.

There is no way of knowing even roughly who OOB represent, though thay regularly claim to represent grass roots.

i'm fast realising i don't know any grass roots members