Sligeach v. Liatroim

Started by magpie seanie, March 11, 2008, 03:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjshabadoojnr

First time post. Been keeping an eye on this site for a long time now. Lot of opinionated people on here, not confined exclusively to Sligonian. Seanie and TG take a bow. Its all good though, plenty of constructive comments on all things Sligo GAA. If we win on Sunday (poor recent record in Carrick-big if!!) it could be a turning point in our season. Crucial to stay up, no-one wants TM cup again - thinking back to that joke of a game in Croker before Mayo Fermanagh 04. Keep up the chat lads, highly entertaining and helps get through work for the day!!

SLIGONIAN

Welcome JJJ, the more the merrier I always say ;)...........
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Teeling Gael

You have a short memory Sligonian.

"I really shouldnt entertain this BS and its nearly always someelse who starts it, rarely if ever me."

Last autumn you wrote an outrageous libel on this board which was rightly censored so whilst I admire your passion , comments ilke the above are hugely hyprocritical and greatly diminish your value to this board. Whatever about other message boards , there should be no place on this borad for rumour , heresay and innuendo.

SLIGONIAN

I said I got justifably criticised for that, no memory loss. I never at on this board or any board have stated rumour, hearsay and innuedo except that one time. Are you perfect teeling gael?

Last yr I stated my positive hopes for my club in a post early 2007 for the coming season only for it to be thrown back in my face after the farnans defeat some 8 months later by owenmoresider. Before owenmoresider gets defensive I know why he did it, just exactly what your doing now and what everyone will do next week is try to dimish my Value on the board (you said it) or as I said it put me in my place when I post my opinions. I wouldnt even think of doing that. Its kinda sad in a way. Really rarely has anyone agreed with me on this board or seen my point of view even on mcnamara which I kinda was proved right and im not jumping up and down with delight. I wish the best to the players and management.

The truth is I know my own value and knowledge. That is not egotisical. I just dont need to be appeased by others especially those that go to the odd game. Lads make there points and fair enough I probably disagree alot but I do sometimes need more of weight to there argument to see there point than form 3yrs ago with a club.

Im bored lets get on with some football talk ;). Seriously I dont want anymore personals, it does piss me off and majority isnt warranted like bringing up 6 months ago etc... i am sorry I said that but one error shouldnt thrown in your face. It doesnt exactly make you look great either.

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 13, 2008, 02:46:34 PM
No offence to anyone here but refering back O5 club championship to me that is 100% pointless. That was ages ago for crying out loud. There is no guarntee naughton will regain whatever form he had back then and another point club football is different. No one can argue with that.

No guarantee indeed Sigonian, but he's a player i've always rated and I think he'd do a job either at full back or centre half. Ideally, i'd like to see maguire at no.6 but i think we need his strength & experience at full back. So that's why i'm hoping naughton will get a chance at chb on sunday.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 13, 2008, 02:46:34 PM
Also on the midfield issues, you say wil beirne come good, he was very impressive against Down, my question is when will quinn come good this yr and help beirnes iniation into county football? Quinn has been poor and that not just my opinion. Hes 3 games under his belt. Surely hes fit by now.

I thought Quinn improved alot in the Limerick game. got through alot of work which is his fortay. But although he's the senior partner in midfield, he just cant be held responsible for carrying Beirne. He's a young lad and will improve especially with the games he gets in the league. However, it's as plain as day that he wont be good enough for ch'ship, not this year anyway. So the main question is: Who will be quinn's partner come ch'ship?? O'hara I dont think has the legs anymore and we're not left with alot of options. Any ideas?

SLIGONIAN

Tony Taylor or Brendan Egan to partner him in midfield I hope both get fit very soon. Ideally I play a fit taylor there with quinn and play egan CHB. With regards to qiunn performance I would say slight improvement on the wexford game but there were worse than him but he needs to get going to help us stay up. I will be  bitterly disappointed if doesnt get the better of mccloskey on sunday. Beirne has it in him (Down game) but your right he may take another year or 2 to cement a place.

The one major point steve08 is you say quinn isnt responsible for carrying beirne, and your right, its just quinns form hasnt helped him thats all.

I take your point regarding naughton. I hope yere optimsim is right but I just think it maybe misplaced giving yer arguments for his inclusion. But we all be the wiser this sunday.

I forgot to ask but seanie mentioned that mcnamara was UNAVAILABLE for this game. Why?

Anyone hear the team selection yet?

SLIGONIAN

The bearer of bad news I afraid. Ye'll like me even more ;) when i tell yee this. Got this off the Sligo gaa website..Corcoran is reffing our u21 game against galway in tubber. Absolute disaster for both sets of fans and players.

Sligo v Galway Cadburys U 21 Football Championship

The fixtures have been announced for this years Connacht Under 21 football championship.

Sligo take on Galway in the preliminary round on Saturday the 22nd of March in Tubbercurry with the winners set to play Roscommon on Saturday the 29th of March at either Markievicz Park or Galway.

The Sligo side managed by Bunninaddens Fergal OFlaherty have been training very hard over the last few months and have also played a number of challenge matches.

The team is backboned by members of the Tubbercurry U20 championship winning team and County Senior David Kelly is expected to captain the side.   

Sligo v Galway Saturday 22nd March Kilcoyne Park Tubbercurry 2.30pm
Referee D Corcoran (Mayo)  Extra Time if required
Standby Referee/Linesman E O Grady (L)
Linesman R McBrien (L)
Sideline Official M Leyden

AhFeckRef

Didn't make it to the game.

Leitrim 0-3 Sligo 0-1,  16 minutes in according to S'side

AhFeckRef

Leitrim 0-5, Sligo 0-3 at half time.

sligoman2

Leitrim 0-8
Sligo 0-3

Leitrim have scored 3 points in the first 4 minutes of the second half.
Sligo need to wake up...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

AhFeckRef

Leitrim 1-8 Sligo 0-4 Fintian McBrian Goal...

AhFeckRef

Leitrim 1-10,  Sligo 0-4 .  Sligo down to 14, Eamonn O'Hara off again.... :-)

AhFeckRef

Leitrim 1-12, Sligo 0-5

2 minutes left

AhFeckRef

Leitrim win 1-12 to 0-6.

Great team result for Leitrim, Should push us up on the scoring average. Sounds like some of the new players introduced today came good.
Ros hammered in Armagh.

Happy Days  ;D

SLIGONIAN

I really dont know what to say. Embarrased and very down is how I feel. Is it worth even criticising these lads. Seriously how many of them actually give a shit..
In play only really J Davey and O Hara showed some quality. Oharas discilpine annoys me but he never learns. For me the supply into our forwards was atrocious, lazy and very slow. Poor D Kelly tried hard but we killed him with loose passing always favouring there backs or too high.

We can all hope we will come good eventually but leitrim conceded huge scores up to this point and we manage 0-6. Brian curran missed 3 easy chances. P Gallagher was not fit, he was out of breath after 10m sprints and had no ball control. This thing of bringing cawley out to take long distance frees is dumb,unless he can consistently tap them over leave him in the corner and take short frees. Brehony cant handle the physical stuff, as I said before 50/50 balls and he will lose, or if he has to fight for it he will lose, the only days brehony plays well is when supply is good. Sweeney i dont know what to make of. He played well the last day when coming on not so today, maybe he justified a starting role, it may give him confidence to push up his performance level.

Im seriously worried were going backwards, we CANT use kelly as a target man. We need more than that to our forward play.

Im even worried about our defence, stupid fouls playing into leitrims hands....ross doesnt look himself, hes not as sharp as usual. Naughton never got tight, let his play loose but mopped up ok as anyone would. Was glad we didnt put him on maxwell as mcguire did that job. Is mcgovern injured? Still not convinced by kivelhan.

Midfield is a disaster, but for ohara we would of had no presence there. I look at beirne and think was that really the same man in down, he looks lazy, slow and Id evan question is he really that bad or not giving 100%. With quinn he alweys gives 100% but lacks alot of qualities midfielder needs, ball catcher, natural spring, vision, passing ability and pace and break winner. Wilson came on but hes young and really he needs to not be rushed and u21 game hopefully hell show his potential but game was over at that stage.

The forwards well its hard to be too critcal because the supply was so poor always favouring the leitrim backs. They seem to lose there shape at times which overcrowds the flanks and makes passing complicated. Is that the players fault or management. Kevin langan looked very poor on first viewing. We obviously have no subs worth much.

Can anyone imagine what was said at the end of game? Mayo beat kerry by a point and we are hammered by leitrim and but for a lucky goal(player was defo going for a point) they were well worth there victory and margin. I go 99% of league games and I remember in 2005 losing 4-17 to 7pts aginst galway in tuam and I thought those days were over.

What kind of training we at? Our players looked out of breath unfit devoid of a gameplan, shape...we are in big trouble..looking ahead we play london in MAY and hopefully Mayo in june, keith higgins will be marking kelly and higgins is fast and kelly will do well to get any change there even with good supply. Mcgarrity and pat harte taking on quinn and beirne. And us as connaght champions. The players are showing me that we are just going to hand it back without any resistance. If I was the manager of Sligo Id hand everyone of them nestor cup  and say go on you hand it back because thats way your playing. Go out and show us yee care and not by getting sent off again o hara. It might wake them up.

I wonder what jordan will say, in all fairness today is unacceptable. Did connaght go to there heads? Imagine what any of the top teams would have done to us.

On ohara he needs a sports pyschologist badly.

A bad day at the office especially against a non too special leitrim. We are a mess. Its between ourselves longford and leitrim now for div4.

Besides jonny davey, ohara in play we didnt do much and harrison and mcguire were ok...the only postitives. Oh and lets pray egan,taylor, mcpartland and sean davey all come back and in good form..Id be ringing j martyn aswell...your county needs yee big time..

Our minors went down to galway be 2pts in CML minus there jarlaths players.