Mayo v Kerry Official Thread

Started by Barney, March 10, 2008, 08:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

With the U21's fielding 6 of the current senior panel for Saturdays Munster championship game v Limerick, Kerry have named a very experimental senior line up for Sunday against Mayo with none of the U21's being called up twice. No Gooch or the injured Galvin, Declan O'Sullivan and  Sean O'Sullivan.

Good that the U21's are putting the focus in its a competition we need to do well in ten years since the last success,  but will also be good to see the overall strength of Kerry football, it will be a tough day out for us I am sure on Sunday , but there is the return to action of 2 lads in the subs with 10 All Ireland medals between them so thats good to see.

1 Diarmuid Ó Murchú Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle)
2 Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
3 Tomás Ó Suilleabháin Tom O'Sullivan (Rathmore)
4 Pádraig Ó Riada Pádraig Reidy (Scartaglin)
5 Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht
6 Tomás Ó Grifín Tommy Griffin (Dingle)
7 Aodán Ó Mathúna Aidan Ó'Mahony (Rathmore)
8 Michéal Ó Cuirc Michael Quirke (Kerins O'Rahillys)
9 Séamus Ó Scanláin Seamus Scanlon (Currow)
10 Donncha Breathnach Donncha Walsh (Cromane)
11 Eoin Ó Brosnacháin Eoin Brosnan (Dr Crokes)
12 Antóin Ó Meacháir Anthony Maher (Duagh)
13 D Ó Suilleabháin Darren O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar)
14 Ciarán Ó Duinneacha Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
15 Brian Ó Síocháin Brian Sheehan (St. Mary's)

Subs: 16. C. Ó Cremín Kieran Cremin Dr. Crokes
17. Darragh Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
18. Rónán Ó Flatharta An Ghaeltacht
19. D.Ó Buacháin Daniel Bohane Austin Stacks
20. C. Ó Cuirc Kieran Quirke Duagh
21. Pat Corridan Finuge
22. M.P. Ó Ruisál Mike Frank Russell Laune Rangers

For the record  the U21 team lines out as follows, the senior panalists in bold...

1. Tomas Mac an tSaoir (Gaeltacht)
2 Colin O'Mahony (Ballydonoghue)
3 Mike Moloney (Dr Crokes)
4 Eoin Murphy (Dingle)
5 Aidan O'Sullivan (Dromid Pearse)
6 Killian Young Capt (Renard)
7 Shane Enright (Tarbert)
8 Davin Moran (Kerins O'Rahillys)
9 Alan O'Sullivan (Tousist)
10 Paddy Curran (Waterville)
11 Tommy Walsh (Kerins O'Rahillys)

12 Brian Looney (Dr Crokes)
13 Kieran O'Leary (Dr Crokes)
14 Mike O'Donoghue (Spa)
15 Paul O'Connor (Kenmare)

16. Gary Kissane (Kerins O'Rahillys)
17. Kieran Brennan (Castleisland Desmonds )
18. Eoin O'Neill (Renard )
19. John Buckley (Dr Crokes )
20. Jamie Doolan (Dr Crokes )
21. Gary Sayers( Keel )
22. Gary O'Driscoll (Skellig Rangers)
23. Gavan Duffy (Kerins O'Rahillys )
24. Eamon Hickson (Annascaul)
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

StoneWall

Mayo team announced...

1 David Clarke
2 Tom Cunniffe
3 Billy Joe Padden
4 Liam O'Malley
5 David Heaney
6 Trevor Howley
7 Keith Higgins
8 James Gill  :o
9 Ronan McGarrity
10 Peadar Gardiner
11 Alan Dillon
12 Trevor Mortimer
13 Conor Mortimer
14 Austin O'Malley
15 Andy Moran

Frank Casey

Good opportunity for the two Kerry wing forwards to show their wares. Quirke will feel a bit a pressure with the Gaeltacht man on the bench so it'll be interesting to see who'll make way when Darragh enevitably comes on. The pity is that we don't have another one or two to try out in the fb or hb lines. But yerra beggars cant be choosers.

Kerry by a point or two me thinks
KERRY 3:7

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 13, 2008, 07:20:01 PM
With the U21's fielding 6 of the current senior panel for Saturdays Munster championship game v Limerick, Kerry have named a very experimental senior line up for Sunday against Mayo with none of the U21's being called up twice. No Gooch or the injured Galvin, Declan O'Sullivan and  Sean O'Sullivan.

Good that the U21's are putting the focus in its a competition we need to do well in ten years since the last success,  but will also be good to see the overall strength of Kerry football, it will be a tough day out for us I am sure on Sunday , but there is the return to action of 2 lads in the subs with 10 All Ireland medals between them so thats good to see.

For the record  the U21 team lines out as follows, the senior panalists in bold...

1. Tomas Mac an tSaoir (Gaeltacht)
2 Colin O'Mahony (Ballydonoghue)
3 Mike Moloney (Dr Crokes)
4 Eoin Murphy (Dingle)
5 Aidan O'Sullivan (Dromid Pearse)
6 Killian Young Capt (Renard)
7 Shane Enright (Tarbert)
8 Davin Moran (Kerins O'Rahillys)
9 Alan O'Sullivan (Tousist)
10 Paddy Curran (Waterville)
11 Tommy Walsh (Kerins O'Rahillys)

12 Brian Looney (Dr Crokes)
13 Kieran O'Leary (Dr Crokes)
14 Mike O'Donoghue (Spa)
15 Paul O'Connor (Kenmare)

Is there a bit of cute hoorism at play here at all? Just looking at your U-21 team highlights you won't be missing too many senior boys on Sunday at all. Who can expect to be in the starting line-up come summer? KIllian Young and maybe young Moran at a stretch. The injuries to O'Sullivan x 2 and Galvin and the absence of Cooper are what might make it more of a level playing field  ;).
Having said that we have our own problems, Barry Moran is still injured, Pat Harte has not made it back yet after Ballina's run and Chris Barrett, who has made a good impression this year is still out. I think given the fact that we lost to Donegal & Derry and drew with Laois means  we will be up against it on Sunday. Having said all that, this is still a good chance to get 2 points on the board since Kerry are not at full strength so hopefully we will sneak a win. Talk of revenge (on RTE) is sh1te, winning on Sunday won't make up for '04 and '06, only winning in the c'ship (maybe not this years one!) will do that.

rosnarun

Quote from: StoneWall on March 13, 2008, 10:19:14 PM
Mayo team announced...

1 David Clarke
2 Tom Cunniffe
3 Billy Joe Padden
4 Liam O'Malley
5 David Heaney
6 Trevor Howley
7 Keith Higgins
8 James Gill  :o
9 Ronan McGarrity
10 Peadar Gardiner
11 Alan Dillon
12 Trevor Mortimer
13 Conor Mortimer
14 Austin O'Malley
15 Andy Moran

well it looks like JOM is going for a settled side . does this mean the tom parsons/seamus o sé has been abandoned for this year and what about Conreoy if hes going to be a real alterative he needs games time. are we going to wait till after 2 goals to realize we need some one tall to mark  Ciaran Donaghy?.
or does the cunning one have a better plan
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

western exile

And what about the talk of BJ Paddens back injury?   Has he been using some Knock water on it?   8)

the Deel Rover

i agree with you ros so much for change bar Cuniffe the rest of the lads have played under maughan or moran so much for rebuilding for the future (which is the speil he kept coming out with last year)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Davitt Man

Cunniffe and O'Malley under big pressure, they have struggled big time of late.

Lar Naparka

I suppose we can't have it both ways. Johnno has gone for a settled side alright and we all could find fault with some of his selections but he needs to start organising some sort of a settled side – the time is running out for chopping and changing for the sake of it.
This game should settle arguments about Billie Joe at full back finally. Who could handle Donaghy without support from further outfield? It's up to the half lines and midfield to prevent their opposites from directing accurate passes to Kerry's inside line.
Our half backs seem to be the best we have but I'd doubt Heaney's ability to last a full game in his selected position. McGarrity needs a genuine grafter beside him to be effective and Gill might not be the man for this, but it's Johnno's call. I wish him well in his choice of Gill here but I have my own doubts.
Up front, I guess he has about the best available even if Gardiner can be guilty of inaccurate passing and shooting.
I know it's a disappointment that Cunniffe appears to be the only young player coming through at present but that's because none of the rest has forced himself into the reckoning.
I just hope they give it their best shot and that that will be enough.
Keep the faith!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: western exile on March 14, 2008, 10:57:41 AM

And what about the talk of BJ Paddens back injury?   Has he been using some Knock water on it?   8)

I thought we all knew O'Mahony better at this stage. He is awful for hyping up injuries, then the player can have a stormer, if the player has a bad game, the injury is blamed. That's how he did it with Galway anyway and he seems to be at it again with Mayo. Think we'll pull this one off.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

well done Farrandeelin thats the kind of blind optimism wee need.
This will be a major test of JOM as a manager as it would be for any manager facing Donaghy. while not  a one trick pony no one has solved his showpony trick yet. and it not all down to who is playing full back. Kerry base most of their current tactics around him . if at least we could force them to think again . it would be a mark of progress
Can the Legendary JOM do it talk to you monday

the Deel Rover

Your in a bad auld twist today Ros  :D have a good weekend and relax we will chat to you Tuesday , are you coming down for the match?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rosnarun

bad old cold. but should shift it for sunday. it more wheter the heart can stand it

MacDanger

Quoteso much for change bar Cuniffe the rest of the lads have played under maughan or moran so much for rebuilding for the future

Howley hadn't much game time under any other manager either. Barrett is injured, Campbell is still playing Sigerson, so was Kilcoyne up until last week.

I know Donaghy destroyed us on '06 but are we a bity obsessed with him and the whole FB thing at this stage? No other county has managed to reign in Donaghy - indeed since Donaghy has come on the scene no county has beaten Kerry in championship football.

Maybe we just don't have a top class full back in the county? Maybe we're down to a choice between Heaney and BJP until (if) cafferky makes the grade? While Heaney isn't a natural FB he's not a bad option while we have nothing better, other than '04 & '06 finals he was rarely skinned and in fairness we were destroyed all over the pitch both days and especially so at midfield.

For me, this is where the root of our problems lie, no strong midfielder and no ball-winning half backs and half forwards in the Paul Galvin mould. For this reason I would have liked to see O'Shea start at MF because while Gill may have the strength to throw his weight around in the middle of the pitch, he rarely does so.

A draw or Kerry by one.

laoisgaa

E-mail this morning from Noelle Horan Mayo PRO

Good morning all,

Following a pitch inspection earlier this morning at McHale Park, Castlebar, I can confirm that the NFL Rd4 game Maigh Eo v Ciarraí proceeds as scheduled.

Mise, le meas,

Noelle Ní hÓdhraín