BBC's White Season

Started by thejuice, March 07, 2008, 11:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/white/

New BBC documentary asks about what is happening to working class white people. Some episode even asked that question, Was Enoch Powell right all along?

Interesting as we can see paralells with Irish society. Someone on the comment board suggested that we dont have multi-culruralism we have multi-mono-culturalism, which is exactly what should be avoided.

If you can watch the video's, the one "The Poles Are Coming" is actually quite funny if a little worrying, and the inteviewer would probably get the same response outside dole offices in Ireland
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gnevin

Quote from: thejuice on March 07, 2008, 11:59:12 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/white/

New BBC documentary asks about what is happening to working class white people. Some episode even asked that question, Was Enoch Powell right all along?

Interesting as we can see paralells with Irish society. Someone on the comment board suggested that we dont have multi-culruralism we have multi-mono-culturalism, which is exactly what should be avoided.

If you can watch the video's, the one "The Poles Are Coming" is actually quite funny if a little worrying, and the inteviewer would probably get the same response outside dole offices in Ireland
Whats multi-mono culturalism ?

What we need is like Canada is integrated and tolerant monoculturism
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

thejuice

several unitegrated cultures. Lots of different cultures but none of them mixing at all
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gnevin

Quote from: thejuice on March 07, 2008, 12:13:46 PM
several unitegrated cultures. Lots of different cultures but none of them mixing at all
Got you .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

This programme scares me a little.

A white country for a white people. Sounds familiar....
Testing Accessibility

thejuice

of the 62million in Britain, 9.2% are non-white. yet white people are worried about being taken over. I live in Rugby which is a small town next to Coventry and Birmingham, and the British to Non-British ratio is about 10-1. Now that ratio might change in the cities but I'm not sure what people are worried about. White people are very much in the majority. Then again I wouldnt be considered working class perhaps, maybe I am, I dont know what makes someone working class or middle-class, is it salary or job status? house price?

maddog

Quote from: thejuice on March 07, 2008, 12:52:42 PM
of the 62million in Britain, 9.2% are non-white. yet white people are worried about being taken over. I live in Rugby which is a small town next to Coventry and Birmingham, and the British to Non-British ratio is about 10-1. Now that ratio might change in the cities but I'm not sure what people are worried about. White people are very much in the majority. 

If you take a dander around Sparkhill, Small Heath, Sparkbrook, Alum Rock you might get an idea whats wrong. Its a pure ghetto. At the bottom end of Small Heath you have the Pakistanis complaining about the pesky Somalians taking them over and driving them out. There is zero integration.

Tankie

just watched the clips there, shocking to see the ignorance and to hear the racist views of some people!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Mentalman

It's going to be a growing issue in Ireland too, especially with the economic conditions changing. I was listening to Pat Kenny the other morning, and they had a slot about the various Limerick regeneration projects. During a segment with some Moyross resident he said he was umemplyed, claimed he couldn't get work, and intimated that the likes of Dell didn't employ Irish, only Poles. This wasn't challenged in anyway until one of the studio guests, in charge of the regeneration project brought it up, said that it wasn't that Dell only employed Poles, it was that they only employed the educated. Then another listener made the point that why was it that only malcontents from Moyross were featured in the voxpop? The answer is simple, because the story of the kid whose parents worked all their lives, and who rose above his circumstances through education isn't going to scare anyone, it's not sensationalist enough, thus not worthy of airtime.

Similar to the figures in Britain, the proportion of non-natives is very small compared to natives, but the lazy story is in how they take the jobs, not in pointing to the natives that some of them are suckling at the tit of the state too long, or just not bothering their hole.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Tankie

Quote from: Mentalman on March 07, 2008, 01:49:57 PM
It's going to be a growing issue in Ireland too, especially with the economic conditions changing. I was listening to Pat Kenny the other morning, and they had a slot about the various Limerick regeneration projects. During a segment with some Moyross resident he said he was umemplyed, claimed he couldn't get work, and intimated that the likes of Dell didn't employ Irish, only Poles. This wasn't challenged in anyway until one of the studio guests, in charge of the regeneration project brought it up, said that it wasn't that Dell only employed Poles, it was that they only employed the educated. Then another listener made the point that why was it that only malcontents from Moyross were featured in the voxpop? The answer is simple, because the story of the kid whose parents worked all their lives, and who rose above his circumstances through education isn't going to scare anyone, it's not sensationalist enough, thus not worthy of airtime.

Similar to the figures in Britain, the proportion of non-natives is very small compared to natives, but the lazy story is in how they take the jobs, not in pointing to the natives that some of them are suckling at the tit of the state too long, or just not bothering their hole.

Education is really the big issue, people want "good" jobs but don't want to go to collage or FAS to get the education! The Polish video really showed this, like who is gonna even want to employ those clowns.

But a serious issue anyway!
Grand Slam Saturday!

thejuice

Its happening in Ireland alot already, huge numbers of uneducated, unemployed, unenthusiastic people willing to live off hand outs. What employer would touch them. As can be seen in the video, offer some of them a job in manual labour or agriculture they'd probably refuse it. And I often wonder are Polish people working for less money? I hear that all the time, and Im in no doubt that it happened in some cases but i bet its not as bad as everyone says.

Gnevin

Quote from: thejuice on March 07, 2008, 02:21:54 PM
Its happening in Ireland alot already, huge numbers of uneducated, unemployed, unenthusiastic people willing to live off hand outs. What employer would touch them. As can be seen in the video, offer some of them a job in manual labour or agriculture they'd probably refuse it. And I often wonder are Polish people working for less money? I hear that all the time, and Im in no doubt that it happened in some cases but i bet its not as bad as everyone says.
Happening , it's always been like that lazy bastard who don't want a job or want to the the ceo of a company on the first day of work. Ireland has in and around 5% unemployment this inculdes amongs the people who just don't want to work.

pintsofguinness

QuoteIts happening in Ireland alot already, huge numbers of uneducated, unemployed, unenthusiastic people willing to live off hand outs.
Sure when you give people handouts you can expect them to be lazy.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Announced today 8,500 more people on the dole/brew in the 26 this month, think it's the biggest ever number in one month!

Just found this:    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0307/employment.html

This is just going to inflame more racism and social discontent among the "working class Irish".
Tbc....

Minder

Aye all this shite about the foreigners taking the good honest Irish lads job is just that, shite. They take the jobs because they want to work and have a strong work ethic, i live in West Belfast and there are so many people that want the house, the two cars, the foreign holidays but dont want to work, and do you know what invariably they get it. There is no notion of getting up off your fat arse and getting it through fair means. The local politicians and Sinn Fein in particular just exacerbate the problem, you can go to them and they can expertly fill out your DLA form to ensure you tick all the right boxes instead of encouraging the people to get a job.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"