NFL Final Dates?

Started by GrandMasterFlash, March 04, 2008, 11:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Does anyone know when the NFL finals are taking place and where? Did I read somewhere that they weren't gonna be in Croker now due to maintenance work?

Thanks.

corn02

Jesus, Monaghan getting ahead of themselves?  ;)

AZOffaly

I think April 27th is the finals weekend for the football 1,2,3 and 4. I don't think they are in Croker this year. I'd say neutral venues depending on the participants.

Hound

Yes, April 27th is the date.

There certainly was an announcement that the games would not be played in Croker. Some have said its because of some maintenance that needs done because of rugby or soccer or concerts, but I think they just want to use provincial venues rather than have a half full or less Croker. But if the Dubs make it, you'd have to think a Croke Park double bill with the Div 1 final would be on the cards. 

AZOffaly

I think it would be good to have a few games at the provincial venues. The Galway - Kerry league final in Limerick didn't exactly draw the crowds, but Munster were playing Leinster the same day in Dublin, I think. Or maybe it was Perpignan.

Anyway, with the 4 divisions at the moment, and the way they stand, how about this?

Galway v Derry at Clones
Monaghan v Dublin at ???? Would Mullingar make sense or be big enough? Portlaoise wouldn't be fair to Monaghan folk, and Croker would be the other possibility
Wexford v Down at Tullamore?
Offaly v Antrim at Navan?

Gnevin

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 04, 2008, 11:29:12 AM
I think it would be good to have a few games at the provincial venues. The Galway - Kerry league final in Limerick didn't exactly draw the crowds, but Munster were playing Leinster the same day in Dublin, I think. Or maybe it was Perpignan.

Anyway, with the 4 divisions at the moment, and the way they stand, how about this?

Galway v Derry at Clones
Monaghan v Dublin at ???? Would Mullingar make sense or be big enough? Portlaoise wouldn't be fair to Monaghan folk, and Croker would be the other possibility
Navan would be grand for Monaghan v Dublin  if it came to that
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 04, 2008, 11:29:12 AM
Galway v Derry at Clones
If Croker was to be used because of a potential full house with the Dubs, you could argue that Galway v Derry should still be in Clones and that the Division 3 final (or even Div4) should form part of the Croker double bill. It would depend on the mix of the teams.

AZOffaly

Yeah, I'd say Wexford and Down, along with Dublin and Monaghan would make sense at Croker. Offaly Antrim would have Navan then. (Wexford v Down as the higher division).

Anyway, there'll probably be 8 different teams involved by then, so it's all hypothetical. Could still be a few interesting venues and ties, and I think that's a good thing.

Bogball XV

I'd say the big question is, why bother with play-offs?  Will there really be any interest from the two teams involved?  Maybe the top 2 in div. 1, but that's about it, for the others, it's mission accomplished and time to start preparing for the championship.

I'd have preferred the old style play-offs, with the top teams from each division competing for the title - not exactly fair, but at least it was a bit of novelty.

Maguire01

Two double-headers are likely, i reckon. 
I can see Croke Park being used if the Dubs are one of the top 2 in Div 2 and if Monaghan were to make the final, they'd pull a big crowd down as well.  If Meath were to make the Division 2 final with the Dubs (looking unlikley at the minute), it would also probably require Croke Park also.

In Division 1, Galway v Derry, i'd have to agree with Clones; if Galway v Kerry, probably Limerick. Can't rule out Kildare or Donegal involvement either at this stage however.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 04, 2008, 01:35:45 PM
Two double-headers are likely, i reckon. 
I can see Croke Park being used if the Dubs are one of the top 2 in Div 2 and if Monaghan were to make the final, they'd pull a big crowd down as well.  If Meath were to make the Division 2 final with the Dubs (looking unlikley at the minute), it would also probably require Croke Park also.

In Division 1, Galway v Derry, i'd have to agree with Clones; if Galway v Kerry, probably Limerick. Can't rule out Kildare or Donegal involvement either at this stage however.

Seeing as we are talking hypothetical speak...

Sure they couldn't use Clones if all finals were played on the same day, sure they're be noone in Clones to open the gates or rip people off?   ;D ;D ::) ;)