Dublin v Tyrone

Started by downredblack, December 13, 2006, 03:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloc Mor

Just watching the game and the crowd seem to react to every score. NOT  I have never seen a more lifeless crowd in all my life.

ziggysego

Quote from: Cloc Mor on February 04, 2007, 06:18:43 PM
Just watching the game and the crowd seem to react to every score. NOT  I have never seen a more lifeless crowd in all my life.

Watching it where?
Testing Accessibility

Canalman

According to the TV tonight  Darren Magee went off due to an injury.
Forgot in earlier post to congratulate Tyrone.

I see the anti Dubs are starting up again. Having filled CP in February they are now passing comment on the "type" of supporter who showed up. Seemingly some were not Úbergaa enough for some people.

And yes we ALL know that there will be only 9/10,000 at the next home game in Parnell Park so just get over it.

Ah well some things never change.

ONeill

Quote from: never kickt a ball on February 04, 2007, 01:42:12 AM
Had a great night and enjoyed the drama of the game. A few observations:

- Now two big screens at Croker. One at the corner of David and Hogan
- Brennan made a speech before switch on. It seemed no one was listening.
-The light switch on was like a Mexican wave. Each one lit up individually in sequence starting at the top of Hogan and moving around the ground.  Then the stadium slowly got brighter.
- Only Dublin came out to warm up and approx 10 mins later than the Clár an Óíche stated. All wearing grey tops
- Diarmuid Connelly caught the eye warming up - you know the player that looks class when no one's marking him
- Took a while to find the Gospel Choir and the Saw Doctors who were ensconced at the David/Cusack corner of the field.
- Could have taken or left both the Choir and the Saw Doctors. Wasn't really fussed.
- Dublin came out and went straight for photo
- Dublin then gathered like a pile of iron filings and headed of to the magnetic Dineen Hill 16 - Didn't really capture the imagination but entertaining enough.
-  Dubs must have won the toss to come out first and "reclaim" the Dineen Hill 16 :P
-Tyrone came out and kicked around for a bit before coming over for the photo
- Tyrone forward line missing in first half
- Starting to regret earlier opinion of Connelly he looked good
- Brogan played well first half gave Carlin a torrid time
- Ricey played a large part on his own on right wing and no one would switch it to him
- Seemed occasion getting to some Tyrone players - forwards, Penrose, Murphy
- Dubs didn't score much in last 15 of first half
- Dubs defense played well
- Tyrone a lot of wides
- Streaker got a lukewarm reception from ref who played on
- Half time game a sketch - Soccer has already been played at Croker. Green team won four goals to nil. One player had Ronaldo's step over dummy to a tee and as game went on players showed a greater reluctance to pick the ball up. Referee did well though.
- Big screen focused on the full moon for a while during half time - may be the next destination for the All-Stars?
- Second half changes sealed it for Mickey
- Mulgrew showing something of that potential talked about
- Didn't notice yellow ball after a while
- Dubs very quiet on the hill and in fact difficult to hear from Cusack even when making noise.
- Three minutes added time. The announcer laughed before he announced it as if in disbelief  :D
- Dublin blew a chance for a draw by not attempting a shot from a free
- Is Pillar really worth his salt?
- Davin end the "scoring" end.
- Dublin City Council have a litter campaign going
- Road works around the perimeter of Croker pitch at the end of the game to stop invasion.
- Travelled down in two hours and home in three. By passes are great. Just hope I never need one!   

Well summed up. Surreal type of atmosphere. The parade was noticeably different with the lack of flag waving etc. After an initial burst of energy, the Hill were quiet - must've been a different breed of Hill Jackeen from the summer.

The match has been well covered here. I thought the Dub fans were harsh on their team afterwards. Dublin were working hard and supporting each other well in those first 30 or so minutes. They simply ran out of steam in terms of physical fitness and this led to their focus disintegrating. Whereas they were economical in finding their man early on, balls were being kicked out over he sideline or falling short in the second half.

Mickey made the substitutions that needed to be made. Hughes' presence around the middle was immense and provided tons of breaking ball for Mulgrew, McGinley, Cavanagh x 2, Carlin and Harte to raid with. Perhaps the most important moment was when Gormley met Brogan with a crunching tackle soon after he came on. Brogan didn't want to know afterwards.

McConnell may have taken the short option too often in the first half but with Murphy in quiet form and Cavanagh double-teamed, he had little option. I thought McGee looked sluggish in the first half, but sure that could be said for most. Tyrone seemed to be dazed from the floodlights in that opening 35 mins, playing as poorly in Croke Park as they did v Sligo 2nd half 2002. People say Cavanagh was taking too much out of the ball but he was receiving very little support. He must've had a word with the younger brother as they linked up well in the 2nd half - a promising double act. Mulgrew covered some ground, even acting as sweeper on a few occasions - when Ricey was out-of-position (was he ever in it?). McMenamin had an influential game and managed to get up the nose of almost every Dublin player at some stage. Great raiding at times. Getting back to Mulgrew - you can see the class. Still, physicality is a worry. McCullagh was intelligent on the ball.

When they were needed, Mulligan, Cavanagh, McGinley, Hughes, Gormley, McMenamin and Harte stood up. Add in O'Neill, Dooher, Jordan, McGuigan etc and you can see the point I was making a few weeks ago - the Tyrone '05 side minus the retirees may be our best side. Dermy Carlin had an up-and-down game but took his opportunity well and probably is doing enough to pose Mickey problems when the Harte/GormleyJordan HB line resumes.

Excellent reserves of fitness in Tyrone and simply maintained (even upped) their workrate when the Dubs began to wobble.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

One other thing - it's always interesting to watch the referees at the start of the NFL to see what the style will be for the year - unfortunately it seems that making a whole pantomine when someone is booked will be the theme. Why on earth are they attempting to break up the game even more?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fionntamhnach

Listening to it last night on the radio and seeing the highlights this evening, the atmosphere looked very surreal all right, more of an event seekers tie than anything else. Second half comeback sounded good, fine point taken by Mulgrew late in the match. Home commentators had no hesitation in saying that Ricey had to go, and there was no disputing it.

Mickey Harte apparently isn't cutting his panel until next month, so expect some of the McKenna Cup players who weren't there last night to feature over the next few games.

holylandsniper

QuoteNow two big screens at Croker. One at the corner of David and Hogan
There not always 2 screens in croker?

Bulwinkle

Screen at the Hogan  appeared last year.  Think the new screens in the lower hogan are new this year.

Anybody else get caught up in the squash outside the hogan after the game?

DUBSFORSAM1

Different atmosphere at the game with a lot of people there who seemed to not know much about the game - totally different to the championship;....

As for teh game itself - a lot of mistakes as to be expected from the first game of the National League as well as some strange reffing decisions but sure thats life......Dublin started well and moved the ball well, tackled well and pressured well as well as taking their chances....2nd half Tyrone after the substitutions started to take over and deserved their victory - however one of the biggest factors in my opinion was the game v's Laois last week especially going to extra time as it seemed the Dublin players were heavy legged in the last 15 mins or so...

tayto

Well done to Tyrone, better team won on the day and but for some bad wides it could have been worse for us dubs.

Hope the younger dubs learn from what happened. i was afraid Caffery had picked too experimental a team on the day.

... had a great laugh with the tyrone supporters beside me, including some youngwan taking the piss out of me nephew, funny.

mannix

dubsforsam,
you must be joking, if a team cannot get over an extra time game in one week they really ought to take a better look at the training schedule.For my money dublin simply lack the talent or mental strenght to beat the top sides and seem to be happy with putting up a good show for a while of the game and acting like premiership stars by bowing and blowing kisses to the hill.The hill deserts them very quickly indeed when it starts to go pear shaped and that could be a clue for pillar if he wins the toss later in the summer.
Kerry were half paced yesterday and still could have beaten mayo with another few minutes play, I reckon its whoever avoids them will have a good chance of reaching a final and tyrone look like the team if the draw worked out that way.
Its too early but in another 4 to 6 weeks a picture will emerge showing a better lay of the land.

downredblack

First Game of the year but I'd say the Dubs are a bit concerned about the way they gave up a nice lead , echoes of the Mayo game last year ( only the football on view wasn't nearly as good , that said it is only Feb.) Got to hand it to Harte things weren't working and he made the changes no messing about and fair play to Tyrone for the fight back they deserved the win in the end . Biggest cheer of the night was probably for the streaker doing the press ups (nutter) . Biggest p***k of the night went to the Dub "fan" who treated our section of the stand packed with kids I might add to " You dirty Nordie Bastard McMenamin" at the top of his voice . Real class ,  there's always one as the add says . But overall great to be there the place looked great and when the Dubs started come on you boys in blue there was a great atmosphere .

Just a note on Clonliff College , I know it takes a while to get out at the best of times but if you have kids with you it is the closest place to the ground you will put up with that . But Saturday night was beyond the joke . The Yellow bib lads didn't want to know and there was no Gardai at the entrance to the collage but surprise surprise when you get down to the skylon where the traffic is starting to move  there's two boys waving the traffic on . Never again .

realredhandfan

Everything looked great albeit I only seen highlights.  I couldnt believe the amount of off the ball stuff was directed at Ricey the whole game.  Id have cracked long before him.  If I was the Dubs I wouldnt be too worried, Better to lose a great football game narrowly than to win a fighting match narrowly.  Dublin would normally have lost that quality of match in August and there would be no way back.  Its only February and they have loads of time to address any shortcomings.  Tyrone fans are thrilled and they only scored one more point.  The Dubs have a big year in them this year. Tyropne need to look at that backline again, as they'll face better forward lines.  We will need a deputy full back at least a ready made replacement for Mc Ginley.  Id Like to see hub tried there.  or DAmian Mc Caul.  As for the Cavanagh family - they looked immense.  Colm has shocked me with his development.  Murphy looked poor and Donnelly looked disappointing, but it was a hard game to more or less make a debut.  2 men Id mentioned before the game were Mellon and Mc ginley.  How diid they go?     

Bensars

QuoteEverything looked great albeit I only seen highlights.  I couldnt believe the amount of off the ball stuff was directed at Ricey the whole game.

I was at the game, the bottom line was he was stupid to get sent off. You cant defend it no matter way its shaped.