Troublesome Housemate

Started by thejuice, February 25, 2008, 03:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

What would you do?

I live in a shared house with 4 other people. One person in particular has been a problem lately and I've been trying to let it go as we all make mistakes, but there are somethings that Im finding hard to ignore or pass up.

To start off with when he moved in he was fine, but his fiancee soon arrived and was essentially living in our house which goes against the rules of the tennancy agreement. This went un-noticed for a while but the landlord soon caught on and made him cough up extra money on his rent for his fiancee.

Then he just got lazy in regards to cleaning, leaving cutlery, delf and everything else unclean after use or washed but just in a pile on the draining board. I dont have a problem with the latter as long as its not a big pile and it hasnt been there for ages. However one of the other guys really hates it and he's been there the longest and likes to keep all surfaces clear.

On other days he heads of to work/town and leaves the front door open, I've come home to find the door swinging in the breeze. On several occasions he left the gas stove burning. Just walks away with the gas burning on full! He over packs the fridge and then leaves the door open.

So then we decided to call a house meeting to basically have a word, and he didnt bother showing up (was asleep in his room, despite repeated knocking on the door by myself and others). then the landlord happened to drop by and told him exactly what was going on. The landlord got onto him and he later acused on of the other house mates a back-stabber.

Another time I saw him let this unkown woman in who disappeared off to his room with, only for his fiancee to return home and they spent the afternoon roaring at each other and banging doors. That was one of the many fights they had. I was also asked to go to thier wedding. Even when they're not fighting he plays RnB hip-hop music really loud.

We had a roast dinner made for us by the alleged back-stabber 2 weeks ago(he's a chef), everyone was told about it and invited, but the troublemaker was again asleep and missed it, who then suddenly woke to come down stairs to find us all eating dinner. We were accused of deliberately excluding him, even though he was told about it and when it was on.

Last friday we had a party in the house which included friends and colleagues. It was a pizza party which meant I'd supply the pizza bases, sauce and some toppings, and everyone else brings their own choice of toppings etc.... and beer of course. It was great craic, everyone was having a good time. But of course the person in question was helping himself to beer and food none of which he supplied himself.

Later his fiancee was feeling tired and went to bed and he just started hitting on the girls there. so when she was upstairs, here was her future husband trying to get it on with girls downstairs. Himself and this young one ended up in the living room together while the rest of us were in the kitchen where the party was going on. We heard her shout something at him and she game storming out in the kitchen. Dont know what he did but I dont need to.

I dont want to be living with a shit-head like this, but can you have someone removed from a house just for being an asshole and a cheating bastard. He has cleaned up his act in terms of cleaning and he doesnt play loud music late at night.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

charlie stubbs

w**k over his sock ull be even then

Puckoon

If its a place you envisage living in long term, absolutely he has to go. If its a semester at college or something, then push it through and take off with the other fellas for next semester.

One thing you haven't written, is if he is a friend?

If he is, talk to him. If he wont respond, he isn't enough of a friend to worry about.

If he isn't a friend at all, maybe you can have the landlord evict him for the mess and carelessness, but not because you just dint like him.

Shitty situation if you don't like confrontation. There are people though who relish it and would have no problem getting him to pack his bags.

BTW, Is his bird even cute?

Hoof Hearted

a kick in the stones sounds the ticket for this boy
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ziggysego

I had a troublesome housemate when I was a student in Derry.

He almost burned the flat down, which resulted in us being on Derry's Channel 9 News.

He nicked my electric wheelchair one night and it was later found in a skip on the Waterside.

He took an old shank he found out one night and instead of going to his room, he used my bed.

He ate all my food.

Over the Christmas Holidays once, he stayed in Derry. When I got back, the place was swarming with rats.

f**k he annoyed my head.

Testing Accessibility

hitzelsperger

when hes away pack all this stuff into a skip and leave out the front, change the locks on the doors and your sorted!

this guy sounds like a complete ar$3holĀ£ and a good tight slap would do the trick

Puckoon

How come people want to kick him in the stones, give him a good slap or take liberties with his undergarments?

Is that the best medicine you all can offer? ???

ziggysego

Quote from: hardstation on February 25, 2008, 04:20:00 PM
Ziggy, that's not a troublesome housemate you had. Thon's the fecking devil.

I got him back one night. When we finally got him kicked out of the flat, we got the locks changed. He came back drunk one night and stuck his d*ck in the letter box and pissed in the hall way. I slammed the shutter down on him. F*ck, you had to hear the screams off him  :D
Testing Accessibility

billy the kid

I agree a good kick in the stones would do him no harm but i think that would be letting him off light.

Why dont you buy some sexy ladies underware and plant them in his room for his girl to find and possibly a couple of doms with a bit of milk in them for effect, could be tossed round the floor also.  This should create enough havoc for her to give him the flick.

The rest of yous should eat a good hot curry and have 5 pints of guinness and then empty your rectums on his pillow just before the landlord comes around and report the state of his room to the landlord - dont think he will be to happy.

Another kick in the bag just for good measure (everyone inda house gets a go)

If he doesnt realise yous are looking rid of him at this point

Consider sleeping with his girl (Again eveyone inda house gets a go)  

And this should tip him over the edge
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Mentalman

I would go with what Puckoon said you can't really get rid of him just because you don't like the fact he's a bit of a dirt bird, you kind of have to turn a blind eye to that, it's his own personal business. In saying that, blazing rows with the Missus should not be conducted with the rest of the house as an unpaying and unwilling audience. But not contributing to the shared household, which you have to try to do when you share, isn't good, and if he's depending on others to pick up and clean after him, scabbing drink and food, and it's persistant, and you've all had a word I'd say your decision has been made, although I'm sure others would disagree. It really depends on what the housemates expect as the norm. In some shared houses everybodies is a pig, I'm sure we've all been through that in college, and that's grand. But if 3 of you are trying to keep some level of hygene and order but one isn't bothering, freeloading and dragging donw the tone, and words have been had, well your choice is clear. Everybody gets lazy every now and again, but I'd say we all know that true lazy, scabbing bastards rarely change their ways. Also not hearing people at his door when your calling him for dinner or for the meeting? Load of balls. Are the doors 12 inch solid mahogony? :) Sounds like on the occasion of the shared meal he was deliberately being a drama queen, which is not an admirable trait in any man.

In short, give him gate lad.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

thejuice

We're all working people, no students, so everyones expected to keep things tidy within reason. He's not a friend, only know him since he moved in about 4 months ago. I would like to stay here, its a good location, 5 minute walk to work, cant beat that. SKY, broadband and bills all inclusive.

Mentalman, he was indeed being a drama queen. espcially after the dinner where he stood with his back to me, and said something like "i guess you dont want me around"  :D
We have no problem hearing his music from the kitchen so im sure he had no problem hearing us from his room.

And no his missus isnt the best looking.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thebandit

Quote from: thejuice on February 25, 2008, 04:45:13 PM
And no his missus isnt the best looking.

That's probably at the root of all his problems  :D

Quote from: ziggysego on February 25, 2008, 04:22:46 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 25, 2008, 04:20:00 PM
Ziggy, that's not a troublesome housemate you had. Thon's the fecking devil.

I got him back one night. When we finally got him kicked out of the flat, we got the locks changed. He came back drunk one night and stuck his d*ck in the letter box and pissed in the hall way. I slammed the shutter down on him. F*ck, you had to hear the screams off him  :D

Your a bad hoor Ziggy  :D

Louth Exile

Juice, I think it is straight forward enough, it is a settled house, he was last one in and he is making it an unpleasant place to live. Once yourself and other two lads are in agreement that he has to go then that it is it!
All three of you confront him on it, tell him that it is not working out and you are giving him a month to make other arrangements.
If he asks why you give him the list that you given here.

If you mean to confront him at a meeting and he doesn't show then you all land into his room to conduct the meeting there , simple as!

Take no shit, but don't make it too personal, it is not working out and he is constantly contravening what would be deemed to be acceptable house behaviour!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Aaron Boone

Is there something in the tenancy agreement? What did the landlord say when he found out this guy had slipped his finacee in and then when you guys told him your concerns? He's not a good tenant. Make sure all it's written down & documented.

pintsofguinness

It's very simple juice, you and the other lads approach the Landlord and say either he goes or yous do, a landlord won't think twice about it.

Your tenancy agreement should state the grounds you can be evicted, usually in these circumstances the Landlord can evict for whatever he wants provided four weeks notice is given. 

Yous should have kicked up the fuss when the gf was moved in. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?