Mayo v Donegal NFL Thread

Started by Farrandeelin, February 11, 2008, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

and how we remember the shame of that . it was that all ireland semifinal all over again, of all the all ireland  mayo could have won thats the one i think they really threw away

besides i dont think there actually is a weaker county in the division

BTW yer no crack at all  >:(
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ildanach

Just reading some of the sigerson reports from yesterdays games. Kilcoyne 1-1 v DCU, Mortimer 0-1 v DIT, A Moran 2-2 v Sligo IT, M Conroy 0-5 v Waterford IT. Not a bad haul for mayo forwards. Add to that points from Kilcullen and Parsons and our players might be hitting a bit of form?
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

J70

Quote from: rosnarun on February 14, 2008, 04:05:28 PM
and how we remember the shame of that . it was that all ireland semifinal all over again, of all the all ireland  mayo could have won thats the one i think they really threw away

besides i dont think there actually is a weaker county in the division

BTW yer no crack at all  >:(

I'm not to argue with your opinion that Donegal are the weakest team in the division this year (personally I would rate us a bit ahead of the likes of Kildare and at least no worse that the likes of Laois and Galway, but that's just opinion), but the idea that you threw away an All-Ireland in 1992 is ridiculous! Donegal did everything they could to gift you that semi, but you just weren't good enough, and once Manus Boyle entered the play to bring a bit of composure to the forwards (and Mayo poured petrol on the fire in the form of Padraig Brogan!), there was only going to be one winner. Donegal outscored Mayo something like 0-7 to 0-1 over the last half hour of the game.

Farrandeelin

Yes we all remember the last time Mayo played Donegal. It was the last Mayo game I was at so I'm dying to get to this one. Weather's promised good on Sunday and over the weekend as well I believe so there shouldn't be any excuses from either sets of players for a good game of football with a Mayo win of course :).
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Bod Mor

Quote from: muscles magoo on February 14, 2008, 07:53:08 AM
Mayo Team for Sunday

1. Shane Nallen
2. Tom Cunniffe
3. Billy Joe Padden
4. Liam O'Malley
5. Chris Barrett
6. Trevor Howley
7. Keith Higgins
8. Seamus O'Shea
9. Peadar Gardiner
10. James Gill
11. Alan Dillon
12. Michael Mullins
13. Conor Mortimer
14. Austin O'Malley
15. Andy Moran

Good to see 3 Erris men in the starting 15. It must be a while since that has happened!!
It's not a bad team considering all the Ballina lads are missing. Are the 2 Kilcullen's in the squad for the league this year?
I'd like to see Tom Parsons startb a few league matches as well.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Barney

I don't know where all this Donegal and "weak" mullarkey is coming from.

They've beaten us twice over the last 12 months. They are league champions. What have we done to warrant such high self-regard at the moment?

IolarCoisCuain

Here's RTÉ's carefully considered opinion on the game: http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/0215/mayo_donegal.html

I refrain from comment, myself. Baffled that people get paid for this.

rosnarun

Quote from: Barney on February 15, 2008, 07:55:33 AM
I don't know where all this Donegal and "weak" mullarkey is coming from.

They've beaten us twice over the last 12 months. They are league champions. What have we done to warrant such high self-regard at the moment?
and have been blowing hot and cold for years mainly cold . if we dont get points at home against this level of opposition were not up to much for the league. the league final loss last year was a major embarresment well up there with 2 finals against kerry but if you remember may start the league on fire but were getting worse and worse as the Mickey moran factor wore off and the  JOM new management factor kicked in and maybe with the performances later in the summer maybe it wasn't that big a shock. game against derry was the 1st sign of improvement since.
so it will be very interesting

OirthearMhaigheo

Methinks you're trying to get a rise out of these Donegal lads Ros. The argument that they are weaker than us wouldn't hold up in any court. We might have more tradition, but currently, and that's all that matters, Donegal would appear to be the slightly stronger outfit. Hopefully we'll go some way towards changing that on Sunday and pick up 2 valuable points because all said and done we need to win at least 2 of our 3 home games to give this league a rattle.

IolarCoisCuain

Everyone who thinks that Donegal is the stronger outfit should take advantage of those fools in Ladbrokes, who are offering 11/8 or thereabouts on the away win. Fill your boots gentlemen. Riches are yours to command.

rosnarun

wel spotted OirthearMhaigheo . but you build up a natural resistence to the charm of the boys from the hills after living there for the decade or so

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

While I think we may have an up and down league campaign this year - McIver has the team concentrating on the Anglo-Celt and Sam - we still managed to beat the All-Ireland champions (with pretty much their 15 starters of choice) with 5-6 injuries and a suspension.
To say Donegal are a weaker side then Mayo - sorry "computer says no!"
While we still have to prove our consistancy over a league and championship campaign, only the most blinkered of you would deny the potential that exists in Donegal.
With McIver back in place and Cass at the helm, expect big things this year from Tír Conaill.
Tbc....

the Deel Rover

Quote from: rosnarun on February 15, 2008, 02:16:39 PM
wel spotted OirthearMhaigheo . but you build up a natural resistence to the charm of the boys from the hills after living there for the decade or so

Where do you live Rosnarun?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rosnarun

not being smart but
keenagh (not so much now)
letterkenny
tullamore

the Deel Rover

Quote from: rosnarun on February 15, 2008, 02:51:33 PM
not being smart but