Mayo v Derry - NFL 2.02.08 Official Thread

Started by Barney, January 21, 2008, 12:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgreenery

Whats the weather like in Derry this morning? Theres snow down here and thinking of going if it seems decent enough up there..

Bogball XV

some snow in parts of derry - and bloody cold by all accounts - presuming game still on - will get you more info soon - hopefully.

Barney

Venter I know I wasn't too far wrong - but that was a prediction of the line-up not my desired line-up.

In my opinion there is no future in Billie Joe at full-back, Liam O'Malley, Gardiner or Austin O'Malley.

I know fellas are back from the colleges. There may be good reasons but why are the likes of Cunniffe, Campbell, Kilcoyne, Barry Moran all left out. May be wrong but from past viewings I don't think Mullins will be on a team that leads us to the promised land either.

With regard to the ould lads coming back I think Brady is finished. Time has caught up. Nallen likewise. McDonald's skills are always useful. As I have said before they were great players and servants but the manager has to make hard calls.

Its only the first league game but the two thrashings taken last Summer could become the beginning of a serious slump if they are not addressed. That is why I want to see a never-say-die-attitude tonight. If we get that and a reasonable performance I will be happy.

If we win I'll ski home. 

Farrandeelin

Full time: Derry 2-9 Mayo 1-9.

Mayo could have won it if they hadn't kicked 14 wides and hit the bar twice. I'll let the reporting to the boys who travelled but it seemed like a very good comeback was on the cards but for Derry to score a goal in the 2nd half. It ended as I expected, Mayo kept with Derry till the end, but had an awful start.

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ildanach

there seemed to be a very strong breeze. According to billly fitz if gardner had scored instead of hitting the bar we could have snatched a win
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

WJP11

For a match report compiled wearing my usual green and red lenses, see http://mayogaablog.com.

rosnarun

very much a parsons egg of a peformance.
two stories of the first half were derry deadly accuracy from distance in a howling gale. it was very impressive many of their scores were from at least 35 yards out on the liftand side where they judged the wind perfectly maybe some home advantage here but they took their chances very well.
other story was mayo's in ability to manage the wind against a pretty porus derry defence. the number of wide tell only half the story more worrying was the refusal of player to take the responsility for a shot. however mayo  looked quiet good at times at high tempo moving the ball up to the 21 line then the trouble began . sounds familiar!.
Second half mayo didnt take the oppurtuniies derry did in the first half  and only took one of 3 open goal chances and that more than anytinhg decided the result
as for the players it was a tossup between andy moran and peader for man of the match , Gardiner was everywhere and looked to have a huge appitite. the roving midfield role suits him . If mayo can afford it .
new guys ? mullin looks a mighty Fast classy performer but i wonder will does he have the scoring power mayo need from forwards . O'shea was sond and cunniffe looked the real deal when he came on but i was most impressed by chris barret looked like an old hand and would have no worries about him on the mayo team.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

tbrick18

I think this was a good result for derry considering we were well understrength (as I know mayo were too).
I had a feeling we'd take it by 3 or 4 and am happy getting the result though as some of the posters have already mentioned we were a bit on the lucky side that mayo missed a handful of goal chances. But, a win is a win is a win as they say and at least we have something to build on.
Think Mayo will do ok in the league by staying in the division, like ourselves.

Barney

God, this thread has gone very quiet.

Didn't travel in the end - the fear of the ice god to me. Know I'm getting soft in my old age but there you are.

By all accounts an encouraging start for the young lads. Worrying that we are clocking up large wide counts again.

Looking forward to Donegal game now. A big one for us. Probably going to be a long league - there are no matches that can be put down as gimmies.

What was the view on Seamus O'Se - has he the ability to nail down a place for the year?

rosnarun

if its between himself and brady to accomany Mcgarrity then no hes needs another while though as brady ages he could share the burden . but i wonder will JOM Persevere with Barney's favourite ,Gardiner, in midfield esp if brady is not availible then i think for the days it doesnt work , which i suspect will be a few, it'll probably be a tossup between himself and young parsons, parsons looks the classier football but not sure he has the stomach for the fight where as O Sé looks a bit hungrier. more wille Joe than TJ in style.
though is a wild  bad night in derry any day to make a judgement .
I know we havent mentioned Barry Moran but im not sure O Mahony fancies him
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere