Mayo v Derry - NFL 2.02.08 Official Thread

Started by Barney, January 21, 2008, 12:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Boys, the only ones unavailable are a few of the older boys and the Stephenite contingent (apart from Clarke). I think this game could prove to be a starting point for the future of Mayo football. The players should be given time to develop and who knows. While we will not be at full strength for the next two games (ideally until after March 17th) with the Ballina players out. What I am trying to say is that we should not put the players under pressure which I'm sure will come from wanting to have a stake in the Mayo jersey in the summer. I'll predict we will finish in the top 4 in the league and will be ready to have a go come championship time.

Match prediction: Derry to win by 4 points in the end which would see Mayo play with a bit more steel all through the game than they did in the Summer.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

StoneWall

Starting team V Derry...

1     David Clarke
2     Conor Moran
3     Billy Joe Padden
4     Liam O'Malley
5     Chris Barrett
6     Trevor Howley
7     Keith Higgins
8     Seamus O'Shea
9     Peadar Gardiner
10   James Gill
11   Alan Dillon
12   Michael Mullins
13   Conor Mortimer
14   Austin O'Malley
15   Andy Moran

western exile

James Gill back again ....that guy has nine lives

AbbeySider

Quote from: western exile on February 01, 2008, 12:23:49 PM
nine lives

:D :D
I think it was his own choice not to play last year though!
He is not bad at club level and id like to see him do well.

tbrick18

So who's going to call it?
I'll say Derry by 3 as we're at home and have a few of our more established players back in action and have a strong Midfield.

rosnarun

really cant see mayo lose this one because... err....ahh.... i want them to win?

northwest weather update

much better day today up here sunshine a scorching 2 degrees
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

tbrick18

Quote from: rosnarun on February 01, 2008, 02:31:46 PM
really cant see mayo lose this one because... err....ahh.... i want them to win?

northwest weather update

much better day today up here sunshine a scorching 2 degrees

I think thats the most honest reasoning i've ever heard for thinking a team will win  :D :D :D
As I said, I think Derry will shade it....just about.

AbbeySider

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 01, 2008, 02:43:11 PM
As I said, I think Derry will shade it....just about.

Because Mayo are missing about 8 players from last year I expect Derry to win comfortably.

It depends on how much fight is in the younger guys or how much they want it, but at the end of the day Mayo have a very inexperienced team heading to Celtic Park so I dont have high expectations.

Champ15

I dont expect Mayo to win although i hope im proven wrong.I think its going to be a tough introduction to intercounty football to the new players on board and their going to have to find their feet fairly quickly if want to survive.Playing an Ulster team in your first meaningful game is always going to tell the truth about a player,whether they have got the mental and physical toughness to go along with their footballing ability because i expect derry to be in their faces and to hit them hard from the start.As stated earlier i hope im proven wrong but i think derry will by 3-4 points.
Ballina Stephenites
All Ireland Champions 2005

Son_of_Sam

I reckon it will hinge on whether Austie can win any highballs coming in on him, or break them to Conor, Conor needs to create alot of space and not sit where his man can limit his abilities like has been shown in his last 2 games. I'm also wondering how BJP holds up @ full back.

I'm going to optiomistic and go for Mayo by 2.

Barney

QuoteI reckon it will hinge on whether Austie can win any highballs coming in on him, or break them to Conor

Derry by 10 so!

Very disappointed with the line-up named.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Champ15 on February 01, 2008, 04:17:51 PM
I dont expect Mayo to win although i hope im proven wrong.I think its going to be a tough introduction to intercounty football to the new players on board and their going to have to find their feet fairly quickly if want to survive.Playing an Ulster team in your first meaningful game is always going to tell the truth about a player,whether they have got the mental and physical toughness to go along with their footballing ability because i expect derry to be in their faces and to hit them hard from the start.As stated earlier i hope im proven wrong but i think derry will by 3-4 points.
with all the talk of looking at bringing in fresh talent are just 3 lads making their league debuts?, Chris Barrett,Seamus O' Shea and Michael Mullins the rest of the players are fairly experienced with at least 10 of them having played in AI quarter final or semi finals 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

venter

Barney, you predicted 12/13 of the team, yet your very disappointed. What other players were you expecting?

venter

I heard that Jimmy Nallen and Ciaran Mac will be back training in the next two/three weeks. Mac probably needs game time now to get him back into the swing of things.

Davd Brady is also returning. Why did he announce his retirement again after the county final? I wonder where he will be deployed. Full forward? He's doing well there for the stephenites.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: venter on February 02, 2008, 10:05:51 AM
I heard that Jimmy Nallen and Ciaran Mac will be back training in the next two/three weeks. Mac probably needs game time now to get him back into the swing of things.

Davd Brady is also returning. Why did he announce his retirement again after the county final? I wonder where he will be deployed. Full forward? He's doing well there for the stephenites.

I think If JImmy was going to be there this year he would be training with the team allready he is not the type of player to ask for a break,  as for Mc i'd be very surprised as i said in a previous thread i was talking to him at christmas and reading between the lines i can't see him playing again.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001