Weather Warning (severe wind)

Started by Star Spangler, January 08, 2008, 11:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Spangler

I notice that Meteoalarm (http://www.meteoalarm.eu/) has Ireland at awareness level RED due to wind forecasts.  Meteoalarm describes status RED as "The weather is very dangerous. Exceptionally intense meteorological phenomena have been forecast. Major damage and accidents are likely, in many cases with threat to life and limb, over a wide area. Keep frequently informed about detailed expected meteorological conditions and risks. Follow orders and any advice given by your authorities under all circumstances, be prepared for extraordinary measures."

Time to gather up the garden furniture!

the Deel Rover

Ye i heard that this morning, gales of 150 kph promised but sure unless it hits Dublin you won't hear a word about it ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

downredblack

Found the young ones trampoline buried in a heap in the hedge after Sunday nights wind .

Star Spangler

As long as it wasn't buried into the side of your car!

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

How come this severe weather warning stops around Dundalk and no further northern?
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Gnevin

I guess POG's new all beans diet is having some adverse effects  ;)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on January 08, 2008, 12:21:26 PM
How come this severe weather warning stops around Dundalk and no further northern?

UK met office deals with that.

Tuesday 8 January EARLY WARNING Gales or severe gales will affect Northern Ireland, Scotland and northern England during Tuesday night and into Wednesday with gusts of 70 or even 75mph. This will be accompanied by some heavy rain and hill snow. Driving conditions will be dangerous Further updates will appear here.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Orior

According to the map on the link, the 26 counties can expect red, and the 6 counties can expect orange. How does the wind know to change its strength when it crosses the border?

That reminds me of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. As soon as a crow flies from Fermanagh into Cavan, its taking its life in its hands. Shouldn't there be a sign put up for the poor creatures?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

nifan

Hope im playing downwind during the six a side tonight :o

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Orior on January 08, 2008, 01:07:44 PM
According to the map on the link, the 26 counties can expect red, and the 6 counties can expect orange. How does the wind know to change its strength when it crosses the border?

There's always a lot more hot air up in the north, maybe that explains it.
The 6 counties can always expect orange.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on January 08, 2008, 01:12:28 PM

There's always a lot more hot air up in the north, maybe that explains it.
The 6 counties can always expect orange.

LOL  ;D
Tbc....

his holiness nb

How does the wind know to change its strength when it crosses the border?

I think the speed signs changing to miles per hour is confusing it.
Ask me holy bollix

Hurler on the Bitch

Just heard Michael Fish on the radio there saying it was aload of balls and not to worry.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on January 08, 2008, 01:22:36 PM
Just heard Michael Fish on the radio there saying it was aload of balls and not to worry.

:D

He said it wasn't going to snow last week too!
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

his holiness nb

Is Michael Fish the guy who said not to worry right before the huge storms in England around the late 80's?
Ask me holy bollix